The MT-07 Forum

Brake swap

andrewcox945

andrewcox945

I have I 2017 fz07 and I was curious if anyone has swapped or knows how hard it would be to swap fz09 brakes onto an fz07, or if it's even worth it compared to just getting better pads and steel braided lines. 

My $.02 so it means nothing, but:

Anything is possible but this would be inordinately difficult for little or no real benefit. The calipers on an 09 are radially mounted compared to an 07 making a direct swap impossible. One would need to do an inordinate amount of fab work/changes to forks and wheels/axels/spacers etc to do it. They are essentially the same calipers anyway. They are the same spec, opposed 4 piston  calipers with the only significant difference being  mounting method as previously mentioned. The 09's rotors are marginally larger diameter as well. 

The brakes on my 07 have never been my limiting factor on the racetrack.  If you want or need better brakes I'd just upgrade the pads and/or lines as you mentioned and call it good. I can't imagine needing more brakes on these biakes with the speeds they are capable of. 

To each his own tho.

Be safe,

Dave

• Premium Member

the stock FZ-07 brakes are fairly good... some ppl want better front brakes because they never/very rarely use the rear brake... the 2017+  have ABS IIRC so it might be a pain to deal with bleeding the ABS unit with new lines... braking performance can be improved with a bike that has decent suspension, even using the gearbox to create more engine braking

usually a few peeps will find a small air bubble in the horse shoe loop shape of the brake line over the front tire...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Don't people with FZ-09's upgrade their brake pads/lines also? I don't see the point. I mean you could get FZ-09 pads and then want to upgrade them as well so why not just upgrade the FZ-07's? Maybe I'm wrong but I would try that before doing a complete brake swap first.

Beemer

Archived