The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins 80 N/mm spring

sk8norcal

Saw on fz07 FB group, rider  165 lbs was recommended this spring to replace the stock 115 N/mm spring .

he said it rides great.

Isn't 80 n/mm way too low?

ohlins 80.jpg

• Premium Member

Yes, seems quite soft at 457 lbs per inch.  Wonder how much he had to preload the spring to get the sag correct?  Also wonder if he has hit any large bumps yet.   The ride might feel good until that happens.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

the weaker the spring the harder you work the compression valving which is already crap to begin with. The guy is crazy to run a 80.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator

You can replace the stock spring with an Ohlins one?  That would be a cheap way to make it look like you had an Ohlins shock without having to put up with the great performance of the real thing ;)

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, mjh937 said:

You can replace the stock spring with an Ohlins one?  That would be a cheap way to make it look like you had an Ohlins shock without having to put up with the great performance of the real thing ;)

Or paint the stock one yellow. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

to clear up any confusion, we are talking about the Ohlin STX shock.  Rider has the "stock" 115 N/mm spring.

His mechanic changed it to 80 n/mm to soften up the ride

• 2 months later...

I'm guessing this was just a cheap workaround actually for the rebound damping not being able to handle the stock 115 N/mm as desired.

So, without having to go through any valving, they simply opted for a softer spring so as to feel easier on their current rebound damping internals (concerns about "big bumps" or bottoming-out notwithstanding). Softer springs require less rebound damping anyway, so this way, those rebound internals "would be more sufficient" to handle the job ; )

Revalving costs more $$$ anyway : / I'm running a 90 N/mm spring at 210 lbs (yes, I have to run it with quite a bit of preload) and it feels plush no more than 3-4 clicks from fully closed (i.e., max rebound damping). Consequently, to fit a heavier spring more suited to my weight, I'd imagine a significant revalve would be required to get the same analogous rebound damping effect.

Archived