The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 error code reader OBD2 kit?

Leo Vannucci

Leo Vannucci

Hey guys,

Do you know know of a kit that will allow me to read and clear faults on my FZ07?

I would like to buy some sort of bundle (reader and cable) or some sort of kit that will work with my iPhone and the FZ07.

i keep seeng OBD2 solutions for the FZ09 but not the FZ07, is there a reason?

• Premium Member

the reason it works with certain year FZ/FJ'-09 bikes is because its actually CAN ODB2... early year FJ-09 had the ability to read/clear/adjust codes via the dash... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Leo Vannucci
15 hours ago, norcal616 said:

the reason it works with certain year FZ/FJ'-09 bikes is because its actually CAN ODB2... early year FJ-09 had the ability to read/clear/adjust codes via the dash... 

Right, but I’m asking about the FZ07.

Edited by Leo Vannucci

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Right, but I’m asking about the FZ07.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5723/2017-reset-check-engine-light

this is all I know about these homemade scanners... you will have to figure this out by trail and error... I dont recall any post about this for the FZ-07...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 10 months later...

The code reader listed in Yamaha's 2017 FZ-07 shop manual is the "Yamaha Diagnostic Tool" #90890-03252-00.  It seems this item has been superseded by #90890-03262-00 and again by #90890-03264-00.  The older model #90890-03182-00 will NOT work for this.  MSRP on the 03264 unit is about $430, and I've only seen it listed for sale at 2wheelpros as of 7/2019.  The functions are numeric so you really need the shop manual to know how to use it.  From what I've been able to learn, the 2017+ FZ-07 diagnostic interface does support some sort of CAN bus functionality, so you're supposed to be able to use a generic OBD-II code reader with an adapter cable.  The folks at FTECU sell this cable as #OBD_YDT for $40.  The pinout on the OBD connector uses pin 5 for chassis ground and pin 16 for +12V power via the BU2 fuse.  Pins 6 and 14 are the CAN bus pair and go to the bike's COM0 and COM1 lines, but I'm unsure of which goes to which so you might have to try it both ways.  To complicate matters, many OBD2 readers want the make/model/year of the vehicle, and you would need to somehow get past this to a generic vehicle since the FZ-07 will surely not be in the list.  If you ever find a way to access the YDT functions, you'll make a lot of people happy!

• Thanks 1

I just cleared a code on my 2017 MT07 HO (Australia) using VCDS software on a laptop combined with this cable and it worked a treat, but I'm guessing that it must differ depending on which country your bike originated from. I can't help you American's, but for Euro and AU/NZ boys, this is the solution.

s-l400.jpg

MT10 + MT10SP: 2016 2017 2018 2019. MT07HO: 2017 2018 2019. MT09 MT09SP: 2016 EU/Australia/NZ Only -2017- 2018 2019 all countries. Does not work on 2013 to 2015 MT09. MT03 2018 2019. FJR1300: 2016 2017...

• 2 years later...
Max of Millbrook

y

You say you used VCDS software  to access the Yamaha ECU. I have the VCDS and tried to use it but it could not communicate with my 2019 MT07. I ordered a ELM scan tool but it also could not communicate with ECU. I'm in Canada can you help?

I have the OBDII to 4 pin cable

11 hours ago, Max of Millbrook said:

y

You say you used VCDS software  to access the Yamaha ECU. I have the VCDS and tried to use it but it could not communicate with my 2019 MT07. I ordered a ELM scan tool but it also could not communicate with ECU. I'm in Canada can you help?

I have the OBDII to 4 pin cable

Like you, I have tried a couple products but have not found one that works with my 2020 MT-07.  They won't connect to the ECU.

Have you checked the pin assignment of the OBDII to 4 pin cable? Just in case it is not correct.

40 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

Have you checked the pin assignment of the OBDII to 4 pin cable? Just in case it is not correct.

No.  I've tried two different cables but have not checked them.  I'd like to do that, but offhand I don't know where I'd look to find the pin assignments for the 4-pin end.

• 2 months later...
Max of Millbrook
On 8/25/2021 at 11:28 AM, Triple Jim said:

No.  I've tried two different cables but have not checked them.  I'd like to do that, but offhand I don't know where I'd look to find the pin assignments for the 4-pin end.

I checked the pinouts .The 4 pin adapter on mine is connected to the high and low CAN bus and + and -battery of the 16 pin OBDII connector. That should be correct..?

15 minutes ago, Max of Millbrook said:

I checked the pinouts .The 4 pin adapter on mine is connected to the high and low CAN bus and + and -battery of the 16 pin OBDII connector. That should be correct..?

That's probably the correct four pins, but but how do we know which pins of the 4-pin connector do what at the ECU end? 

I suspect the problem is that Yamaha came up with a non-standard communication protocol.

Edited by Triple Jim

Max of Millbrook

Yes I have tried every available Android app with many scantools. I believe they (Yamaha) are using their own proprietary software so we DIY's can't fix our problems without dealer intervention.

In other words pay the big bucks!

2 hours ago, Max of Millbrook said:

In other words pay the big bucks!

Wait for you dealers invoice in case you have an immobilizer unit and your ignition switch/lock has to be replaced  :)
New lock with new immobilizer unit, new key set, new ECU...

The communication protocol seems to change (my old 2014 knows no obd2), depending on the production year, maybe market area (?)

We need a summary table for this issue.

• Like 1