The MT-07 Forum

rfmueller

The performance is remarkable for the money.  The motorcycle seems to be very well balanced and peppy; perhaps a tad rough at the low end.  Extremely fun to ride for short periods of time, such as less than an hour.  It's nimble, it's quick, it's very easy to handle, it's light weight, it makes you want to go fast.

I've installed a Scorpion Exhaust that has proved to be very worthwhile.  It's a set of strait pipes with baffles at both ends.  It really does add good character to the bike itself, a power bump, yet not too loud or quiet with both baffles in; people will definitely hear you without being an annoying jerk that people would just as soon run off the road.  Considering the neutered condition of the bike having stock exhaust, it makes the bike in to a motorcycle with a purpose.  Side note on Scorpion:  Their quality control is terrible.  The pipes didn't fit together well at all.  They were so tight it made the installation anybody's worst nightmare.  I had to freeze the inner pipe while heating the outer pipe with a blow dryer, then hammer the two together.  Getting the tension out was no easy task.   It doesn't require repacking; a nice little perk if you don't like to repack exhausts, and I don't.  After 6,000 miles, they are a very nice stainless steel golden color, and functioning perfectly.

If you can keep yourself out of the throttle, you'll get 65mpg at 65mph.  It's very consistent. 

The worst part:  The seat.  

Yamaha Windshield is fine if you like getting hit in the chest with a lot of air.  The motorcycle is designed to have you lean in to the wind which is supposed to help hold you up and take some pressure off your arms.  If you don't like that, then you won't like their windshield option.

I've put on SW Motech 1 1/2" handlebar risers.  Motech makes great stuff.   They work fantastically, as do their hard removable saddle bags.

Edited by rfmueller

2 hours ago, RF Mueller said:

This is for somebody in the market for an FZ07 that wants honesty:

The seat pan design simply does not afford a comfortable ride for more than an hour. 

given the frustration with the seat, again, I would purchase a different motorcycle.

If you read enough reviews/comments on this FZ-07 forum, you will find people, like myself, who have zero problem with the stock seat (2015-2017). I had one ride doing 535 miles in a day, and another ride with 702 miles in 1.5 days, and my butt was fine. I've done more than my share of mods on my FZ, and changing the saddle was never on the radar. I would not hesitate to do serious touring on the stock saddle.

I mention this in case a person on-the-fence thinks they are screwed because of the saddle, and they end up missing out on an unbelievably fun motorcycle. The stock saddle may be fine, and if not, there are many alternatives.

• Like 1

^^agreed, ive done 3-4 hours at a time on the stock seat comfortably...

Otherwise, original post seems pretty spot on. Ive had mine for just over a year also, its to hard argue with the value for the money on the FZ07

Edited by Bigturbomax
Forgot stuff
  • Like 1

Didn't you read the rules? 

It's an opinion, and if anybody's doesn't agree, save it for yourself.

Only the opinion of the OP is allowed to be presented.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here's my opinion:

• My butt hurts after 30 min of riding.
  • Something is wrong with the suspension, it goes boing-boing.
  • The air is merciless, I dread the highways.
  • The position of the dashboard is retarded, I can't mount all my cool gadgets.

Nevertheless for the price I think it's ok.
I'll try and fix some of the above with custom-made seat, some kind of a windscreen and a bicycle handlebar extension for all my goodies. Unfortunately there's no budget to upgrade the suspension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wrxer said:

Didn't you read the rules? 

Only the opinion of the OP is allowed to be presented.

Does it count at all that i mostly agreed???lol!

@RF Mueller

I agree, the seat can be a problem and it appears you had some bad luck with the options you chose to fix your seat problem. I understand your frustration but I have to ask, whenever you come to a stop do you always put both feet down? If so, I have a suggestion that may help with your inner thigh pain. Put just one foot down and lean to that side a little. It helped me a lot with pain from the seat edge. 

Here's one more suggestion that might help ease your frustration or maybe increase it. Who knows? I can't say for certain that it works well on an FZ-07 seat but for the price, I would think it's worth a try. ($6.31) It's slip resistant, breathes, allows air under the bum to keep it cooler and keep you away from a hot seat as well. I might get one myself. My only concern would be for the fitment. Supposedly it stretches a little but you would still have to pick the right size. 

https://www.amazon.com/qiaoW-Motorcycle-Electric-Breathable-Protector/dp/B07DK1RGLY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536061374&sr=8-2&keywords=seat+cover+mesh+non+slip+motorcycle

Also, someone else recently mentioned using neoprene to cover their seat to resolve their slip problem. Sounded like a good idea to me, neoprene is pretty grippy. With the right tools a person could do a DIY job or simply have a local upholstery shop staple it on for them, probably wouldn't cost much. 

For anyone in the market to buy an FZ-07, according to the posts, most people have found solutions for their seat problems. Keep in mind, not every seat is for everyone. Everyone that likes their seat (me included) will say to have their seat done the way they did but your bum may be different than theirs. Moding (modding, spelling???) a bike to make the bars, the grips, the pegs, the mirrors, the suspension, the seat, etc, etc, etc, can take time and money before anyone gets it just right. You can go out and buy a different bike to avoid seat problems that you may or may not have with this bike (not everyone dislikes the seat) but you may end up with a common problem instead that other bikes have, they aren't much fun. Their engines are lacking, they don't produce the smiles per hour an FZ-07 can and you can't do anything about it. Who wants to ride a bike like that? Just something to keep in mind when buying a bike. Stay frosty!

Beemer

1 hour ago, sunblock said:

there's no budget to upgrade the suspension

FWIW, you can make a huge change in your suspension for very little $$$

You can get a set of Sonic fork springs for $80-$90 delivered, and then you throw in money for fork oil ($15 ish). What this will give you is a MUCH better front suspension which includes a serious reduction of dive. If you do the work yourself, you are talking $100. Also, after you get the forks straightened out, just adjust the preload on the rear shock to best work with the forks. Yes, a new shock will make a big difference, but one thing at a time.

I am using a mixture of a 90 spring and a 95 spring which seems to works well for anyone in the 200-250lb range. I'm using a mix of 10w and 15w oil in a 50/50 ratio. The forum's suspension guru, pattonme, might be able to sell you a mix of spring weights, and definitely he can sell you matching spring weights.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, sunblock said:

Well, I live in the EU, so RIP wallet... ☠️💶
I think in the EU anything bike-related is a lot more expensive than the US. 

Not going to disagree with you. Even in the U.S. motorcycle related products seem to be 3-4 times more expensive than comparable automotive products. Especially when it comes to parts, accessories and upgrades.

It's not hard at all to spend the cost of the purchase price of the bike just in upgrades on either side of the pond it appears. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It's all subjectives. For me, the weakest factor is the seat and the suspension. But, the 07 is the bike that i kept the longest in ownership (4 years and 3 months). It's a great commuter bike. The 07 is my 10th street bike.  For a low price, i ride all kinds of roads, paved or not (with Avon Trailrider tires). Till now, the 07 is the best bike i owned considering that ratio cost/mile.  I really love the cp2 engine.

In fact, in this discount end of season, i want to change. Problem is, nothing get me excited when i listen to my responsible side. So, i guess, i'm just waiting for the Tenere 700. The demo ride will be the desicive factor. I had big expectations when the Super Tenere was first available. 2 demo rides convince me to ... not buy this bike. For sure, i would bought it, if i didn't owned, 4 years before that, a Suzuki V-Strom 1000.  

The best advice for someone who is in the market for the FZ/MT 07, or any bike for that matter, is to take a demo ride. The longer, the better. The ultimate would be a half of day, so if leasing is possible, save your self a lot of troubles.

my 2 cents.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

If you read enough reviews/comments on this FZ-07 forum, you will find people, like myself, who have zero problem with the stock seat (2015-2017). I had one ride doing 535 miles in a day, and another ride with 702 miles in 1.5 days, and my butt was fine. I've done more than my share of mods on my FZ, and changing the saddle was never on the radar. I would not hesitate to do serious touring on the stock saddle.

I mention this in case a person on-the-fence thinks they are screwed because of the saddle, and they end up missing out on an unbelievably fun motorcycle. The stock saddle may be fine, and if not, there are many alternatives.

You, sir, have an iron butt.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got back from riding 690 miles in 30 hours on my FZ-07 with the STOCK seat. I gotta tell ya, Yamaha got it right with that saddle! Ye olde butt feels OK fine 😎

• 1 year later...
Bigturbomax
On 9/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, Bigturbomax said:

^^agreed, ive done 3-4 hours at a time on the stock seat comfortably...

Otherwise, original post seems pretty spot on. Ive had mine for just over a year also, its to hard argue with the value for the money on the FZ07

Update....Ive down several weekend trips now and I can confidently say.....the 5th hour sucks pretty bad. But its a sport standard what were you expecting? 

• Premium Member

Don't let @Bigturbomax and @FZ07R WaNaB fool you. That factory vinyl covered plank was never meant for touring for anyone with a "normal" backside. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

FZ07R WaNaB
4 hours ago, DewMan said:

Don't let @Bigturbomax and @FZ07R WaNaB fool you. That factory vinyl covered plank was never meant for touring for anyone with a "normal" backside.

175 miles on Saturday, and my butt be doing fine 😁

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

Lol. 175 is fine with me too. I'm not saying its bad. Just that 350+ it starts to get a little rough haha

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at the gel mod for the seat and asking if anyone has tried this? For those wanting a cheap fork mod, watch Moss video on forks, best thing ever for my bike and less that $50 for everything. OP asks for help for his seat and gets nothing!! "Oh it is just fine", what a great response!

Edited by gatrgof