The MT-07 Forum

My FZ-07 Lost It's Virginity

FZ07R WaNaB

Yep, it happened yesterday in the backroads of rural Pennsylvania. Oh, in case you are wondering.... I wrecked my bike. It was on one of those mountain roads with tons of sharp corners. There was some gravel in a turn that was the same color as the pavement, and I did not see it until the rear end of my bike started getting squirrelly. I saved the rear end from sliding out but unfortunately the bike was heading onto a gravel filled berm. I wasn't sure if I could save it in the gravel, and sadly I did not. The good news is that neither myself or the bike got screwed up much at all. To the naysayers of frame sliders, all  can say is that I am VERY glad I had them. My Shogun frame slider got scuffed/ground as did my front OES axle slider, but not the case or the tank cover.. The only other thing was my Barkbuster appears to be broken, but I'll know more after I tear it apart. I came out of it fine other than getting trapped under my bike. It was strange as I couldn't pull my foot out or lift the bike up. Fortunately I was riding with someone, and he lifted the bike off me.

I rode over 400 miles after the wreck, and everything seems fine except for me being noticably less agressive in the corners. I seriously believe my dirt bike background saved me from what could have been a much worse wreck.

• Premium Member

Glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed.  How'd your gear (helmet jacket etc) hold up?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

How'd your gear (helmet jacket etc) hold up?

Actually pretty good - by the time I hit the ground, enough speed had been skimmed off so all I got was a couple scrape marks on my jacket which is:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-blaze-jacket

3 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I came out of it fine other than getting trapped under my bike. It was strange as I couldn't pull my foot out or lift the bike up. Fortunately I was riding with someone, and he lifted the bike off me.

I rode over 400 miles after the wreck, and everything seems fine except for me being noticably less agressive in the corners. I seriously believe my dirt bike background saved me from what could have been a much worse wreck.

I hate to hear this, but am glad to hear you are in ok shape and were geared up! Being stuck under a bike like that is such a helpless feeling. Not to get preachy, but a foot stuck under a bike that you can't lift can turn in to a NASTY burn situation. Something to consider when buying riding footwear. 

Felt weird to "like" your crash post, but woohoo! that you rode away!

• Premium Member

I'm glad you walked/rode away from putting it down. It's a scary thought to be stuck under the bike and not having another rider there with you. Bikes can be fixed. Great example again of the advantages of wearing gear. Ride on!! 

I "lost"/dumped mine and went down about a month ago when a little old lady in a beautiful '67 Camaro got lost and decided to slam on the brakes in the middle of a stretch of road I travel on all of the time, which probably led to my complacency.  Anti-lock might have saved me, but so would better reaction time (46 y.o. now) and focus.

I did more damage to my gear than the bike, and my frame and axle sliders preformed nicely.  Replaced the right bar end, Vagabond frame slider, right footpeg (actually snapped off!), and the right-side air intake (minor scuff), and may replace the brake lever too. 

My Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket (white) survived, but needs a bit of repair, and my LS2 helmet took a minor hit, so it was replaced.  My Knox Richmond (cordura/kevlar plus CE armor) jeans were unscathed, as were my Rocket gloves.  Rode my bike home, fixed it up, and went right back at it, albeit with a better focus and greater following distance in traffic.

Strangely enough, although initially a bit sore all over, my right heel has been the biggest issue, still hurting 4 weeks later.  Must have slammed it down in the get-off maybe?

Glad you are OK, and as the old saying goes - there are those who have gone down, and those that will.  Learning is sometimes a bit painful, but you will be better for it.

I did a better inspection today, and I definitely scratched the left side case. Nothing serious, but I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for the Frame slider, I would not have ridden away from that wreck. What would have really sucked was that I was 250+ miles from home which would mean getting transportation for me and the bike as well as getting the FZ fixed locally.... but damn I had fun 😄

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Yep, it happened yesterday in the backroads of rural Pennsylvania. Oh, in case you are wondering.... I wrecked my bike. It was on one of those mountain roads with tons of sharp corners. There was some gravel in a turn that was the same color as the pavement, and I did not see it until the rear end of my bike started getting squirrelly. I saved the rear end from sliding out but unfortunately the bike was heading onto a gravel filled berm. I wasn't sure if I could save it in the gravel, and sadly I did not. The good news is that neither myself or the bike got screwed up much at all. To the naysayers of frame sliders, all  can say is that I am VERY glad I had them. My Shogun frame slider got scuffed/ground as did my front OES axle slider, but not the case or the tank cover.. The only other thing was my Barkbuster appears to be broken, but I'll know more after I tear it apart. I came out of it fine other than getting trapped under my bike. It was strange as I couldn't pull my foot out or lift the bike up. Fortunately I was riding with someone, and he lifted the bike off me.

Good to hear you're not dead and neither is the bike

Double check the forks.

Even with sliders, it's likely yours might be a bit cocked in the trees

Mine were after a drop in the driveway

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Glad to hear that you and the bike came out relatively unscathed.

Like the old saying goes, there are three types of riders:  Those that have gone down, those that will go down, and those who have gone down and will go down again.

Been down twice myself, one low speed and one high speed get-off.  Experiences you never forget, I remember them both like they happened yesterday.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Archived