The MT-07 Forum

help with spring seat

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

I've got another GSXR spring that is a little higher rate than the one currently on my stock FZ07 shock. I think it may give me a good compromise in around town ride and harder cornering. I need to have the new seat be at 58mm id and 80mm od. I  measured the seat thickness at 3 mm. I've tried local machine shops for this job but no one is interested in turning one out for me. I also wonder if an industrial plastic like UHMW would work. Can anyone give me a hand?

firstyammerha

Lucked out and found a bike shop which cut me a spring seat.Hats off to Porzio Performance in Columbus Ga. for helping me out. The seat they machined was for a Race Tech 5815 series spring which does not match the FZ spring in any dimension. It's 22mm shorter and off at the spring keeper end too.I hope I've got a keeper from another shock that will work or else its back to the shop for some more lathe time. The GSXR spring I mentioned was one I picked up off Ebay and turns out to be way too long and large in od so back to the drawing board. Update, used the lower GSXR spring seat  on top of the FZ07 spring seat in order to compensate for the GSXR larger spring od. For the upper keeper, I nested the FZ07 keeper inside the GSXR upper keeper to close up the diameter difference in the two keepers. Good spring rate for my weight and riding style. Nice and cushy but not the rate for carving the corners.

Archived