The MT-07 Forum

Lost control

RED

So this morning I was riding to work like I do a few times a week, rode past the toll both to get on the San Mateo bridge, saw someone coming over from the right into my lane the car in front of me slammed on his breaks. I started to move to the left to take the shoulder, but freaked out and locked up the back wheel not sure about the font wheel and lost control. Went down banged up my knee and shoulder, but other than that I am ok. But I do want to comment on the bike. FZ07 is amazing, left clutch lever, left bar end, left crankcase cover, and kick stand they only got a little beat up. NOTHING BROKEN.
As a side note I do not have frame sliders.
Just gotta wait until knee and shoulder feel better, then its back on the road.

So this morning I was riding to work like I do a few times a week, rode past the toll both to get on the San Mateo bridge, saw someone coming over from the right into my lane the car in front of me slammed on his breaks. I started to move to the left to take the shoulder, but freaked out and locked up the back wheel not sure about the font wheel and lost control. Went down banged up my knee and shoulder, but other than that I am ok. But I do want to comment on the bike. FZ07 is amazing, left clutch lever, left bar end, left crankcase cover, and kick stand they only got a little beat up. NOTHING BROKEN. As a side note I do not have frame sliders.
Just gotta wait until knee and shoulder feel better, then its back on the road.

Lol I think your the third person to go Down this month. Glad your ok I went down at 40+ last week oem engine slider is toast but other than the brake foot peg breaking off it seems fine.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Glad you are ok and your knee and shoulder will get better. I had to lay my bike down too and only bent the clutch lever and scuffed the mirror a bit. These bikes are great but I've since put on oes sliders. Hope you feel better soon.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ditto ...glad you are OK. It's very hard to fight that reflex and grab too much brake. Did you let off the rear brake when it locked up? I wish we had the ABS option like they do in Europe but that would have added probably $600 bucks or so.

• Premium Member

Glad you're okay and the bike is fine. Did you have any protective gear on?

I had a similar close call a few days ago. Car tried passing someone on the right and I was merging.

Scrubbed enough speed with the front brake but somewhere among the excitement I subconsciously shifted down into 3rd, so when I let the clutch out at ~40 mph she locked up momentarily.

Didn't lose it, but mostly through luck.. maybe good nerves helped by not chopping the throttle or tightening on the bars. Lucky either way.

Everything went braap.

Glad you're ok! I hope you'll be back in action soon.
I had my first close call this weekend too (what is happening out there?). This dude in a gold Challenger (who the heck drives a gold Challenger anyway? But I digress...) wanted to turn left across my lane (4 lane street) from a parking lot. He looks at me and initially he waits - giving me the confidence to go about my business and then all of a sudden he pulls out right in front of me. I hit both brakes hard, pull the clutch in...rear starts dancing around (9 degree Celsius - 48F, kind of cold, I guess - even before that, turns felt a bit "greasy" in that temperature - I am on Bridgestones BTW) - I released the rear brake (probably a bit too late, that rear dance felt like it took forever and I also have a small flat spot on the rear tire - would that be an issue?) and barely stop a couple feet away from him. Let's say I regard ABS in a different light now :). Took me a bit to catch my breath....

• Global Moderator

Yes, it seems to happen a lot these days. Really sucks but I'm glad you're fine (apart from being a little banged up).
Nice to hear to that the bike can take a little beating. Just fix and ride!

• Premium Member

It seems to me that once school started, traffic got worse and drivers less attentive.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Maybe temperature (in tires) has something to do with it too, depending on where you live.

I dont think I let the back break go when it locked up. Happened way to fast. As far as gear, I was wearing a riding jacket, gloves , and a full face helmet. Definitely looking at some knee protectors now tho.

I wear those under my pants too after seeing my nephew lowside on his CBR at about 20 mph. His knee took the majority of the beating. I hope I never find out if they work too.

Archived