The MT-07 Forum

2015 Yamaha R3

fromthecage

• Global Moderator

I just got an promotional email from Yamaha too. I do like the R3.

15_R3_Black_1.png

Its really nice but I don't think there is enough difference for me to switch from my Ninja 300 to the R3. However, I would have probably picked it up if it were available when I bought my 300. The extra 20ccs is pretty big in the small bike world.

As a previous WR250X owner, i'm very pleased to find out that the R3 is coming to us. I know that Ninja 250 and 300 are good seller. But Yamaha didn't offer several small bikes, except for the Virago 250. Remember the SRX250? Would i buy a R3? Maybe. I love my 07. BUT, i had a blast riding my little 250 in the twisties. When riding hard, you have to be more active. Numbers of upshifts and downshifts are way higher compared to when ridinf a bigger bike. In some circumstances, i think it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast. It's for long trip that the small bike is less fun. And forget to carry a passenger with a small bike. I know some do it. But when the passenger knows what it's like to sit on a pillion of a big bike. The idea to stay on the back of such a small pad is out of question.

Next spring, i'll test ride the R3. The seat seems to be a little too low for me. But, if the rider position (i'm 5'-11".) is good, the moto isn't too vibey. It will be very difficult to resist. I swear to myself to not have 2 bikes at the same time back in 2006. we'll see.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 3 months later...
Guest August BB

Its getting close.

My wife might be veering towards this. Doesn't have ABS in the states though but still, a contender for her.

• 2 months later...

I can't decide whether to do the incremental upgrade from my Ninja 250R (the carb has to go) to the R3, or just jump to the FZ-07. Not sure why Yamaha USA is allergic to ABS, probably price point.

• Premium Member
I can't decide whether to do the incremental upgrade from my Ninja 250R (the carb has to go) to the R3, or just jump to the FZ-07. Not sure why Yamaha USA is allergic to ABS, probably price point.

I've encountered quite a few "oh sht" braking moments on my 07 in the 8k miles I've logged. People in the area go from 75 mph to a near stop whenever anything remotely interesting pops up. Road sign, car pulled over, bridge ahead, 2 squirrels fornicating.. etc.

Point of the story, without ABS (which I've never had) the bike is still great in the brakes department. I've locked/skidded the front twice, and rear thrice... she's very forgiving honestly.

I don't recommend doing it for fun, but do practice.

Everything went braap.

It's hard to say but if the R3 had been out when I had the humungus itch to get a bike I might've bought one and my Yamaha dealer said it would be at least another month before they got any so I got the 07 instead, couldn't wait that long. That little bike would be a lot of fun in the twisties if kept just over 10k rpm. I really want to test ride one some day to see if I made a mistake but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My heart's all aflutter now.  (:))

That rider has a nice selfie stick.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Maybe Yamaha will come out with a smaller FZ at 400cc. They would sell loads of them where I live. Insurance over 400cc is almost twice the price.

Maybe Yamaha will come out with a smaller FZ at 400cc. They would sell loads of them where I live. Insurance over 400cc is almost twice the price.
If Yamaha came out with a Grom sized FZ, I would be at the dealership right now putting down my deposit. Small bikes (to me) are way more fun than the big bikes. I ride the crap out of my little Grom. Dropped it about a dozen times now practicing stunts (in lots only).

I wish they made the 07 with full fairings or a light weight faired 75hp sport bike.
Or an FJ-07.

• 1 month later...

I went to a Yamaha test drive event today and rode the R3, and oh my God. It was soo much freakin fun. I literally would have bought it right there if I had $5,000. You can full throttle that thing and it has a racing howl but you are going within the legal speed limit. I felt a little awkward on it at first because I felt like my legs were really high up, but I got used to that real quick and I had an absolute blast on it. I test rode the FJ-09 as well, and I actually liked the R3 better. I know they are 2 different animals, but I enjoyed the R3 far more than I did with the FJ-09. I want one! Haha

• Global Moderator
I went to a Yamaha test drive event today and rode the R3, and oh my God. It was soo much freakin fun. I literally would have bought it right there if I had $5,000. You can full throttle that thing and it has a racing howl but you are going within the legal speed limit. I felt a little awkward on it at first because I felt like my legs were really high up, but I got used to that real quick and I had an absolute blast on it. I test rode the FJ-09 as well, and I actually liked the R3 better. I know they are 2 different animals, but I enjoyed the R3 far more than I did with the FJ-09. I want one! Haha
Were you at Skagit Powersports?  I was there for a while but did not have time to ride anything. The one ride I saw leave left both the R3's and two Bolts behind. They look like fun little bikes. I wish I had time to ride some stuff.  

That is awesome!   ...and insane to be doing anywhere but on a track.  wish I had half that talent.

Small bikes are fun and they rip twisties. 

Were you at Skagit Powersports?  I was there for a while but did not have time to ride anything. The one ride I saw leave left both the R3's and two Bolts behind. They look like fun little bikes. I wish I had time to ride some stuff. 
I was not. There are multiple trucks that go around the country. That must be where the other one was. I was at Bob Weaver Motorsports in North Tonowanda (North of Buffalo NY). The are really fun little bikes. If you ever have the chance to ride one, do it. Haha

• Premium Member
I wish they made the 07 with full fairings or a light weight faired 75hp sport bike.
For a full faired bike, the Honda CBR650F is certainly a fine bike (although, it's a little more expensive than the FZ, and a lot more hp). I was torn between the two when I bought my FZ-07, but I'm happy with my choice.  I think If I add another bike to the stable, it would probably be an FJ-09.  Get some wind protection, highway cruising, big gas tank, and still pretty light weight and (relatively) cheap.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

For those here in the phx area, my dealership told me about a yamaha demo event towards the end of the month out at firebird/wildhorse pass. Ill see if i cant wrangle up some more details

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Someone I trust told me that after a long ride (he rented a brand new one) he wasn't that impressed and the Ninja was the more enjoyable bike. Maybe I will rent one on my next visit to Thailand.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

If Yamaha came out with a Grom sized FZ, I would be at the dealership right now putting down my deposit. Small bikes (to me) are way more fun than the big bikes. I ride the crap out of my little Grom. Dropped it about a dozen times now practicing stunts (in lots only).
Yamaha does have a smaller FZ(MT) than the '07 it's just not available here.

I know Cycleworld and Motorcycle USA did a shootout between the R3, CBR300R, Ninja 300, and KTM RC390. R3 won on both occasions. I like the R3 but I still like the looks of the Ninja 300 a little better. That and I think the huge gas tank (4.5 Gallons) on the ninja is awesome when coupled to +60 mpg efficiency.

Or an FJ-07.

I want an FZ-07 TÉNÉRÉ edition (Maybe FX-07?).

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived