The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 creaky plastics

Blacksheep

So, I have a 17 FZ-07 ABS. Since purchase, it seems as though when I sit on the bike, move it in the garage while sitting on it or moving around on the seat while riding, etc  - I hear plastics creaking. I am guessing it has to do with the tail cowl plastics or  seat to tank. I took seat off and looked for wear or rub marks, nothing seems amiss. Are there are problem areas to address with felt tape or something to prevent this from happening? Just slightly annoying and makes the bike feel cheap. Not a big deal, but figured I would ask. Thanks!

PS - Yes, will get a louder exhaust to drown it out :)

• Global Moderator

I have had the same problem since day one.  It has not annoyed me enough to do anything about it but if you figure out how to stop it let us know.  I do not hear it with my helmet on and the engine running. 

They all seem to do it to one degree or another.  Mine does it, but not loud enough or often enough to be annoying.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Have you tried checking to make sure that you have the little rubber gromet in all your friction fasteners? They fall out really easily

I'm not sure how the seat interfaces with the tank on the FZ07, but on the 18' MT07 it rubs against the tank causing an annoying creak/squeak when sitting on it. I put some adhesive Velcro (soft side) on the underside of the seat to make a barrier between it and the tank. Works great and the bike is now silent. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Global Moderator

it's the seat rubbing up against the tank, flexing the plastic there, and if you're heavy enough it's also flexing the 2 pieces under the seat as well

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I hate that

E Err E  Err E Err

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I used to hear that squeak when moving the bike around with the motor off, but now that I think about it, it seems to have stopped when I got my corbin seat. 

• Premium Member

I know EXACTLY what your talking about.... Mine does it too. That being said, I used to own a Honda Goldwing 1800 that the creaking & squeaking drove me to the point that I sold it!!!! A $20,000+ bike shouldn't make a sound? In hind-sight, the Goldwing had a LOT more plastic, a full windscreen, and was MUCH quieter than the FZ-07. Maybe things sounded louder than they were? Just enjoy the FZ-07, and you did spend $20,00 on it 🤪

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I am glad I am not the only one, I was half expecting everyone to tell me I was nuts, but man, feel a lot better now. Winter is here, I will throw her up on stands and try and figure it out.

My 17 is all stock and never been taken apart, heck I only have 200 miles on it, I bought it as a hold over and got a good deal. Anyways, I will post updates as I am determined to fix this noise or reduce it :(

PS - Shocked to read a goldwing has squeaks. I am a die hard honda nut and sadly, honda makes nothing comparable to the FZ-07 in terms of price, power to weight ratio and simple fun which is why I got the FZ.  My 12 year old TSX is finally developing a few noises, but still more impressive than some of the newer Chevy Cruze's I have sat in. :)

On 11/15/2018 at 11:48 AM, JayMT07 said:

I'm not sure how the seat interfaces with the tank on the FZ07, but on the 18' MT07 it rubs against the tank causing an annoying creak/squeak when sitting on it. I put some adhesive Velcro (soft side) on the underside of the seat to make a barrier between it and the tank. Works great and the bike is now silent. 

I will look at this. Thanks for taking the time to post!

So, I took my seat off today to install the battery tender and like a good doctor, I used two fingers and pressed around the tank area (like an abdominal exam, yes!).  And the creaking is primarily from where the seat makes contact with the tank as stated above. :(

Archived