The MT-07 Forum

Talk me off the ledge, maybe

JBrock

I've had my 17 FZ-07 ABS for right at one year and  6k miles. I have recently started shopping power and suspension upgrades pretty seriously and figure I'm about $2,500 +/- away from being where I want the bike to be. I still like the FZ 07 quite a bit...

However, the dealer I purchased my 07 from last year is running a black Friday special for a new 18 MT-09 with an OTD price of around $7700. I've ridden a 15 FZ-09 and didn't like the throttle at all, but did feel comfortable with the overall power. 

Here are some questions for people who might have experience with a MY 17 or newer 09 and an 07:

How is the updated fueling? It was a major turn off for me with the 15

How much of an improvement is the new MT-09s suspension? 

At 230 pounds geared up, am I going to need to replace suspension components no matter which bike to see an improvement? 

How well does the TC work? I do some riding in the rain, and wouldn't mind having that crutch. 

Obviously, you can't make the choice for me, but what do you all think? 

• Global Moderator

I test rode a FZ-09 two years ago after the fueling problem was fixed.  I had no problem at all with fueling.  It was a demo ride in a group so it was hard to get a feel for the suspension.  My biggest gripe was the seat.  To say it was as hard as granite is an understatement.  Hopefully that has been fixed by now. 

I've ridden my mates 2017 09 a few times. The fuelling is fine, perhaps not as good as the 07 but certainly not an issue.

The suspension should be fine when adjusted for your weight (preload etc). The front fork is good, no complaints from me. I doubt you would feel the need to update. For info, I've changed the suspension Front and back on my 07.

TC works as advertised, won't spin up in the wet on the most intrusive setting.

My biggest gripe is the riding position and bar/peg/seat relationship. This is subjective and may be better for taller riders (I'm 5'8").

I suggest you take one for a test ride to see if it suits you, it's a very smooth docile bike when ridden gently but also has a mean streak if you want to let loose.

Buy the Super tenere'

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Definitely ride an 09 before you buy go over the edge. 

I was eat up with 09's and finally got myself in a position to buy one. The first bike I test rode was a used bike with an ECU flash. The throttle was still pretty harsh, but it was manageable. But the biggest thing that turned me off about the bike was the handling. Fork dive was terrible and I didn't like how the bike tipped in at all. I walked away disappointed. 

A bit later I wondered if the handling of the bike was due to whatever tire happened to be on it. It didn't appear to have an aggressive profile tire, but I've had plenty of tires in the past that really ruined the handling of a bike. So I got another test ride on a new model.  Throttle was super twitchy and the handling was the same as before. Again, I walked away disappointed. The salesman suggested I test ride an 07, but I glanced at it and thought " it's too small" and just went home. I'm 6'2"- 220lbs.  I had never really paid much attention to the 07's before. 

I went home and figured " hey, why not test ride it. Take any opportunity you can to ride a new bike", so I went out and rode the 07. Yes, it felt shorter than the 09, but I felt less cramped and in a more natural position. The power down low was pretty much on par with the 09, just lacking some extra steam up top. The handling was sublime. I test rode that bike for 5 mins ( just long enough to get turned around) and paid the man on the spot. 

Everyone has their own wants and tastes for how a bike handles. The 07 was perfect for me in regards to handling, seating position and torque. The 09 has an absolutely fantastic engine, I just don't jive with the chassis. 

p.s.- And I will admit the sound of the 07 just revs me up. The triple just sounds like any other four banger to me. 

Thanks for the replys, everyone, your input is much appreciated.  I am definitely going to try and get a test ride, maybe just offer cash contingent on one, if it's still on the floor !ater in the day. If not, there will be other deals. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:36 PM, JBrock said:

Thanks for the replys, everyone, your input is much appreciated.  I am definitely going to try and get a test ride, maybe just offer cash contingent on one, if it's still on the floor !ater in the day. If not, there will be other deals. 

Well, whay did you come up with?

I remember folks fitting snail cams to their throttles in the early days of the 09. That is still an option presumably for those who find only that stopping them buying.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

The throttle on the FZ-09 is "electronic"... It's not gonna respond to the same way your used to manipulating the throttle on an older carbureted bike or like the FZ-07...

As for the CP3 motors In fact, one can adjust the "APS" sensor back a few values to soften the throttle response( IIRC it's usually set at 17, most forum members tend to back it down to 12-13)... 

I had to relearn/retrain my muscle memory when I brought my FJ-09, in fact I added a little extra step in my process of when I'm letting off the throttle by letting off ever so slightly to give me an indication the "electronics" is paying attention, then proceed to further let off the throttle... now I don't even realize I do that extra step, it's all natural now and it translates into smoother throttle control when I take the little FZ-07 out for a spin .. 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would be asking myself if I'm happy with what I've got. Sometimes when I start thinking about a faster bike my mind changes after I take a ride on my '15 07. Hard throttle 1st through 3rd usually brings me back to reality, especially when that front end comes up pretty high. That's what I think.

Beemer

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I would be asking myself if I'm happy with what I've got. Sometimes when I start thinking about a faster bike my mind changes after I take a ride on my '15 07. Hard throttle 1st through 3rd usually brings me back to reality, especially when that front end comes up pretty high. That's what I think.

I second this. I thought about an 09, but went on a little spirited ride that put me at ease. Also, I LOVE the exhaust note of the parallel twin compared to the 3 cylinder. 

1 hour ago, Laben said:

I second this. I thought about an 09, but went on a little spirited ride that put me at ease. Also, I LOVE the exhaust note of the parallel twin compared to the 3 cylinder. 

Exactly this. To make the FZ-09 comparable to the FZ-07 in terms of what makes the bike "good", you have to dump a bunch of money into the ergo's, tuning, and even suspension.

the 07 is just a better package out of the gate, albeit slower at highway speeds.

By the time you get the 09 up to snuff, you're in MT-10 money territory anyway. Just buy the MT-10 and you get a bike that needs nothing.

Buy a Harley you will never thank me

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived