The MT-07 Forum

Looking for better winter gloves...

Bigturbomax

What kind of gloves do you guys use riding in the winter?? 38 degree mornings with 30 minutes on the freeway at 75 mph has been getting to my fingertips.  I know good gloves dont come cheap so i dont wanna buy four different pairs. Looking for recomendations. What works well for yall? 

• Like 1

I should mention i have the OEM yamaha heated grips and SW motech Kobra handguards. Its not miserable, maybe im just a wimp lol. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

What kind of gloves do you guys use riding in the winter?? 38 degree mornings with 30 minutes on the freeway at 75 mph has been getting to my fingertips.  I know good gloves dont come cheap so i dont wanna buy four different pairs. Looking for recomendations. What works well for yall? 

I only have issue's with my fingers. Under 50 degrees, I tried liners!! ehh !! they prolong the time until the cold seeps through my A* SP-2's https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-2-gloves?kclid=0273fc2e-1d93-4207-9b85-f66f67c57d08&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOu6l-rm3gIVDoRpCh3_Xgn4EAAYASAAEgKXh_D_BwE  I'm well aware that their not meant for sub-50's riding totally naked!!! I also put nitrile gloves, inside the liners, inside the leather gloves, not much of a difference. 

19 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

I know good gloves dont come cheap so i dont wanna buy four different pairs. Looking for recomendations. What works well for yall? 

So I guess my question would be the same, and same reasoning also. Iv'e read I don't know how many reviews on heated, waterproof, etc. and I just really don't know where to start.

Edited by fzar
  • Like 1

If you already have heated grips these would be awesome and affordable,

https://shop.olympiagloves.com/collections/winter-motorcycle-gloves/products/8800-traveler

These are my cold weather go to's for the past 10 years. Great on the snowmobile or bike from -20 with heated grips to about 40 deg F w/o. Dry fast, wear great, 400 grams thinsulate, full gauntlet, no armor tho.

IMG_20181121_195928813_resized.thumb.jpg.c97fe584e0d52f620628e5d5a9b7a29a.jpg

They have other models as well if these aren't your dish. Olympia are great gloves on the street, I have several pairs for different temps including waterproof ones. (My track gloves are Dainese or A*)

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Get these.  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-r-star-2-in-1-gloves

2 year warranty

Gortex 

Fleece lined

100% Windproof

100% Waterproof

Dual chambers of the R-Stars let you decide how warm (or cool) you need your hands to be. Gore-Tex keeps you dry, so you can peel back insulation for more grip and still use em in the spring. 

• Like 1

I start to struggle with chilli fingers and feet already at 60F, and that's with winter gloves. From 50F and down, I wear mittens, and even that is too little for rides going over several hours. So I will have a look at snowmobile gloves/mittens, since they are made for arctic conditions.

• Like 1

I commute year round in Phoenix.  Winter early morning temps can drop into the 30's here but typically are in the 50's.  I wear these whenever the temp is below 58 deg or so:

https://discountworkgear.com/product/lined-suede-deerskin-gloves/

I bought them  on sale for 8 bucks but I see now they are back up to regular price.

These are not motorcycle gloves and don't have knuckle plates or anything .  I tried the thicker pigskin version of these with the same lining but found these deer suede ones to be much warmer.  Not sure why that is  - you would think the opposite.

I finally found some good ones:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-12v-hero-gloves

Heated grips seems wastefully inefficient to me since you are applying heat to the outside of an insulated glove and on the leeward side. These Gerbing gloves are less bulky than my last winter gloves and insulate far better, even without power. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice folks. Ill let you know what i end up getting and how i like em

I had a pair of BMW ProWinter's that were very warm, but the cuffs were funky and impossible to use. I replaced those with a pair of Joe Rocket Windchill gloves. So far they have proven 100% waterproof. Winter hasn't set in yet, but I've ridden them in the mid 30's with heated grips and no hand guards. No complaints so far. I was disappointed in how thin they were when they showed up, but they've proven to be warm so far. 

They have heavy precurve which makes them extremely comfy as you don't notice them as being bulky. They are more protective then your normal winter glove and they use a drawstring cuff which I've grown to prefer over the years. And they have a visor wiper! Which is starting to get rare. I swear every glove should have a wiper. 

@cyow5 has a good point about heated grips and gloves. Many brands build a winter glove with a thinner palm to let the heat from the grips reach you. Keep an eye out for that. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

On the cheap: (with crash protection)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4FIWT9/ref=psdc_404826011_t1_B077M7H2MN

For anyone looking for a winter glove that's light, less bulky and warm in milder temperatures (but no crash protection) these are a nice glove. I have a pair and wind does not get through the outer shell. I have a non insulated pair and they keep my hands warm when it's in the 60's. (Florida winter) I'm sure the insulated ones will work well down into the 40's or maybe less.

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Windproof-Gloves-Screen-Cycling/dp/B07H7JG3JJ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=3CZGVSR4XD85KNPQP0TM

Beemer

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:19 AM, faffi said:

I start to struggle with chilli fingers and feet already at 60F, and that's with winter gloves. From 50F and down, I wear mittens, and even that is too little for rides going over several hours. So I will have a look at snowmobile gloves/mittens, since they are made for arctic conditions.

Doubtful they will have crash protection like good winter motorcycle gloves but to each his own I say. I would use a good, warm pair w/o crash protection.

• Like 1

Beemer

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 8:06 PM, Bigturbomax said:

If you haven't found anything yet then these are really good with heated grips. Only heats up the top of the gloves and finger the heated grips can take care of the palm as they have very little insulation there. 40 degrees is ideal for these. My hands doesn't start feeling chilli til about 30 ish. 

fly_street_fly_ignitor_pro_glove.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Designed to keep you protected from the elements, the Fly Ignitor Pro Gloves...

Also the gerbing 12v hero's will keep you warm down To like 15 degrees.

I'm still searching for a non heated gloves that will keep my fingers warm to 40 degrees, 45 even. I usually want protection in my gloves but I might give those Olympia glove a try

• 4 months later...
Bigturbomax

I feel like a real jerk for forgetting to respond to this thread since you guys were all so helpful. I ended up purchasing cortech scarab 2.0 gloves. They got me through winter and ive used em a little in rainy spring time too  excellent value just under a 100 bucks. Good protection and warn. Got em from the boys at revzilla. Ill write a review eventually lol

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

I feel like a real jerk for forgetting to respond to this thread since you guys were all so helpful. I ended up purchasing cortech scarab 2.0 gloves. They got me through winter and ive used em a little in rainy spring time too  excellent value just under a 100 bucks. Good protection and warn. Got em from the boys at revzilla. Ill write a review eventually lol

It's about time! Geez! 😆

• Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Just now, DewMan said:

It's about time! Geez! 😆

Yeah, what a jerk...

Glad you got squared away.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...