The MT-07 Forum

MT 07 /FZ 07 2018 Stator Cover

brunotrdd

Hi Guys!! First of all, I just need to say that I'm very happy to be part of this group that I'm following from long but just now I had my opportunity to buy my brand new MT 07. I'm from Portugal by the way, and my MT-07 is just fantastic.

mt072.thumb.JPG.e4b0e3021f3e21577224308d9901d3ec.JPG

mt071.thumb.JPG.ea4e14a9f35ae82b5fa03088b05aeab1.JPG

Anyway sorry for the offtopic.. let's go to the point

With only around 1000 miles, unfortunately, I had a very small fall (something like 3 or 4 Km/h) due to some slipery in a mud road near my parents' house after a long raining night. The bike is ok, i'm ok, but that led to a stator engine cover with a small damage. It kills me just by looking to that dents on this beauty. (Already ordered the frame sliders)

This is the view of it..

155917532_statorcover.JPG.2761af11370acada0062a1f524e20bf5.JPG.6dbbf0b81a478c00b3e3615e357201c7.JPG

So.. I looked all over internet and I couldn't find any DIY of someone changing this part, so I'll change the part and make the DIY.

But i have some doubts, that i hope someone can help me about it.

Anyone can confirm if I  can re-use the 2x Pin's Nº7 from the old case? Or do I need to order? From this diagram, I think this is the only parts I'll need.

856017231_parts1.thumb.JPG.47788503c4845f6ca579431dd7ed4758.JPG.04e0d5c52ed6a01d7f6d4324a769ea0d.JPG

Anyone can confirm if this marked bearing is the one working in the crankcase cover that supports some part of the starter? I think i need to order this also, since it will be very dificult to re-use the old one inside the old stator cover.

1845890425_parts2.thumb.JPG.0391dafbe4be418f840b95e058fe2843.JPG.fe05499ed2287766aa13ed4ff01efd71.JPG

I think this is enough to do the job. I'll be happy to hear something from you guys or someone that already opened this case.

Thanks in advance, and if possible use Full Throttle

• Premium Member

Hey, I tried to do this job myself and failed because of that number 8 bearing.

I spent a couple hours getting that bearing out of the old case, and it was probably ruined by metal chips by the time I got it out. The rest of the job is easy though. If I had to do it over again, I would have taken just the stator cover and bearing to a shop and had them do that part and then I would finish the job.

However I was done by that point and paid dearly for work I don't trust from my dealer.

Oh, and yes you can reuse the pins, and don't forget to get a new gasket. You will also need to re seal the rubber boot thing that covers the wires to your crank sensor.

Have you tried to work with heat?  

Aluminium expands more than steel under the influence of heat, thats the usual way to move such bearings out or in. 

• Premium Member

I had put the bearing in the freezer and the engine case in the oven at like 300 degrees. I managed to get the bearing 2/3rds of the way seated, and realized I had hairline cracks all in the engine case. They were tiny, but were visible from both sides.

15 hours ago, Benh972 said:

You will also need to re seal the rubber boot thing that covers the wires to your crank sensor.

Hi Benh,

And what is the proper way to seal that stator wires rubber, I could re-use the old one right? I want to do the job without any clue about an engine cover opening because I could lose the warranty for doing that. About the bearing, I've bought a new one, so I'll not have any problem with the old case, and I think that with some freezing of the new bearing and some heating of the new case, it will not be a problem to put them together.

Archived