The MT-07 Forum

Install instruction for FTECU stuff on 2018 MT-07?

RojoRacing

I've got my the parts with my ECU back in my hands but zero install instructions with anything.  

Bike side harness is supposed to get three wires tapped into the ECU plug directly but I have no idea which color wire replaces which dummy plug. 

Speed shifter has two male plugs coming off it one is blue and green, the other in red and yellow.  I assume on is for the sensor to react to pulling vs pushing?  

I've also got the female side of the speed shifter plug that ends in two bare wires which I assume has to tap into some plug somewhere but I have no idea where. 

2WDW said FTECU forgot the bike side harness instruction since it was drop shipped direct from them so he was going to add the instruction when he returned my ECU but I guess he forgot again.  

Anyone care to share what little paperwork they received with their parts for install?  Or maybe someone could direct me to where I can find the instructions online because I looked last week for the bike side harness stuff and found nothing. 

Well, that certainly stinks. Shoot FTECU an email or look around their site for instruction pdf's?

edit: I don't know why I'm underlining stuff or how to stop it...

32 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Well, that certainly stinks. Shoot FTECU an email or look around their site for instruction pdf's?

edit: I don't know why I'm underlining stuff or how to stop it...

Already tried all that, you’d think they’d have the PDFs on their product page or under tech support. Luckily Nel just emailed me back with both PDFs and notes the quick shifter plugs right into the bike side harness. Unluckily it looks like maybe because they sent me a dynojet quick shifter I may be screwed for now because this thing ain’t plugging directly into anything. I’m still waiting for a reply this this picture I sent him. I was luck enough to get him to reply at nearly 9pm but I guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow for the additional follow up. 

Can anyone confirm the dynojet and FTECU quick shifters using different connectors ? 

50B3127F-F3B9-4414-B4C3-D22C5D7610FE.jpeg

The bike side of dyno jet plugs into PC.

The bike side (only side) of Ftec plugs directly into open port in ecu block, IIRC it's the 6th port/2nd row? (Orange wire in pic below)

IMG_6720.thumb.PNG.45b3867f2ddf983961e1c320d8604321.PNG

Obviously a paired down race harness

Well great now I discover the bosh O2 sensor they sent me doesn’t fit the Yosh exhaust, it’s way too big. Also the length of this thing is insane for a bike specific kit, that’s a lot of wiring to tuck up around the motor. 

65BB8593-0927-4DBE-B016-37D4657DD039.thumb.jpeg.7944c600da05c5143b6b5a323f77fa03.jpeg4C2212C7-AB39-406D-ACB0-ECCCA33CA75C.thumb.jpeg.c66de2034a1f4717e532793b56d83818.jpeg

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

Well great now I discover the bosh O2 sensor they sent me doesn’t fit the Yosh exhaust, it’s way too big. Also the length of this thing is insane for a bike specific kit, that’s a lot of wiring to tuck up around the motor. 

65BB8593-0927-4DBE-B016-37D4657DD039.thumb.jpeg.7944c600da05c5143b6b5a323f77fa03.jpeg4C2212C7-AB39-406D-ACB0-ECCCA33CA75C.thumb.jpeg.c66de2034a1f4717e532793b56d83818.jpeg

stock o2 sensor ( narrow band) is 12mm... the wideband o2 sensor is 18mm ( this is used by many self tuning kits/manual tuning kits) ...

you will have to weld an 18mm bung on the exhaust and find a 12mm bolt to cap off the stock o2 sensor bung... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

4 hours ago, norcal616 said:

stock o2 sensor ( narrow band) is 12mm... the wideband o2 sensor is 18mm ( this is used by many self tuning kits/manual tuning kits) ...

you will have to weld an 18mm bung on the exhaust and find a 12mm bolt to cap off the stock o2 sensor bung... 

At this point that's fairly obvious but the whole reason I ordered from 2WDW and went with their suggestions was to have everything plug and play with no surprises.  Now I'm having to chase down additional parts and labor which when I should be enjoying my bike isn't exactly how to build a good impression. 

got the quick shifter installed and working but at the risk of sounding critical it feels rather clunky compared to what I remember from my racing days.  This could be a side effect of shortening the shifter throw so I'll need to swap it back to the stock throw and see how it feels then.  

Still need to get the M18 bung welded on to complete the setup so I'll report back when that is done. 

My quick shifter felt a little clunky at first also until I worked out the ignition cut timing till it was buttery smooth. What shift rod did you use for the quick shifter? I used dynojet's shift rod B and it along with the sensor came out the same size as stock shift rod length.

I'm surprised the yosh doesn't have a 18mm bung installed. My akra has 18mm with a 12mm insert for either size sensor.

28 minutes ago, CarGuy7a said:

My quick shifter felt a little clunky at first also until I worked out the ignition cut timing till it was buttery smooth. What shift rod did you use for the quick shifter? I used dynojet's shift rod B and it along with the sensor came out the same size as stock shift rod length.

I'm surprised the yosh doesn't have a 18mm bung installed. My akra has 18mm with a 12mm insert for either size sensor.

it was ether $300 for the cable to tune the bike myself or $300 to get the active tune setup so the ECU is capable of actively tuning the bike beyond 15% throttle and 4000 rpms. I choose the latter option since I don't plan to change anything motor-wise that'll require tweaking the settings.  I'll admit not being able to adjust my shift setting is a bit of an oversight on my part. Maybe after I calm down with spending money on the bike I'll consider the over priced tuning cable. 

You have the FTECU kit with the active tune kit correct? There should be a quick shifter setting within the FTECU software to change the ignition and or fueling cut time. I've not messed with the FTECU software (I run Powercommader stuff) so I'm not sure if there is but I don't see why there wouldn't be that option.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:45 AM, RojoRacing said:

got the quick shifter installed and working but at the risk of sounding critical it feels rather clunky compared to what I remember from my racing days.  This could be a side effect of shortening the shifter throw so I'll need to swap it back to the stock throw and see how it feels then.  

Still need to get the M18 bung welded on to complete the setup so I'll report back when that is done. 

since i have problems simply negotiating this website (hence-not the one to ask), being critical of the the way in which the Seller does business would be completely understandable in this case. I wonder how you can remain gracious; I couldn't !

I recently saw a photo of 3 guys crowded around a tuning board; the photo was labeled 2DWD. They all looked stoned-stupid to me.   When someone pays good money for something and then gets bombarded with sloppy work and BS, does the seller deserve more money from well intended moto guys, or a place on the Sponsors list?  

Not gracious in the least, I wouldn’t send anyone there myself after this experience. This could have been handled so much better given it was a known problem.  I’m sharing my experience so others can make their own decisions. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 6:41 PM, RojoRacing said:

it was ether $300 for the cable to tune the bike myself or $300 to get the active tune setup so the ECU is capable of actively tuning the bike beyond 15% throttle and 4000 rpms. I choose the latter option since I don't plan to change anything motor-wise that'll require tweaking the settings.  I'll admit not being able to adjust my shift setting is a bit of an oversight on my part. Maybe after I calm down with spending money on the bike I'll consider the over priced tuning cable. 

$300 for a cable to tune the bike yourself?  Can't you do that with the base data-link FTECU kit?  Just plug a laptop into the USB connector while the ECU is in the bike and do your thing?

I may just not fully understand what the base kit entails; I'm just looking into ordering it now.  I'd like to go with the active tune setup later, but the base kit is going to cost me a lot of Canadian Pesos, so I'll just have to make do initially.

Archived