The MT-07 Forum

Which Shock with AP Moto Link?

Evill_Ed

Just now, Mechie said:

Sorry to bump an older thread. 

I am curious about how to dial in my setup. 

Currently I am setting up the Andreani Cartridges and the Nitron Shock.  I do not have the AP Link. 

My question:

What would be the recommend baseline setup to get started? Primary commuting use, but would like less squat and more sport feel. 

Set the Shock to 325mm to match the K-Tech RR and drop the triples ~10mm like DMT recommends? 

Rider sag set square at 35%  F/R?

Tire size is stock 

You should be close. There is no right or wrong or cookie cutter set up. Every one is different; different sets of variables like shock length & valving, spring length, various links/no links, fork set ups, tire sizes, rider skill, size, riding style, preferences, etc, just like you elluded to. Next there is no substitute for testing/fiddling/experimentation. I would start with forks flush then go a couple-3mm at a time after riding a 20 mile test loop to see what you like and how she responds. It's easy enough to fiddle with moving the forks up and down and then you'll know, not have to guess or wonder if the grass is greener someplace else.  Same in the back with preload after you set rider sag at both ends somewhere in the 3/4" to 1 1/2" range. You want the ends to play nice together. Remember one ends problems can make the other end seem wonky. Too much sag in front can feel like too much squat in back under acceleration, too little rebound in back can make the front seem to dive too much on the brakes as the rear pitches up and so on. Get it right and it's pure sweetness. She'll feel like a cat squatting to pounce as both ends sit down when hard on the brakes. And it wont do the rocking horse on/off throttle as it'll feel like being pushed hard and level by heavenly forces when coming out of corners under full throttle. If you're using it primarily as a commuter I'd tend toward the long end of sag and let the suspension work through as much travel as you can safely use based on your 'test route'. With Andrianis up front and the RR out back it'll naturally feel more sporty as it should be far more capable than stock but it's going to take a fair amount af fiddling to get it there. Get it right and commuting will never be the same.

😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Roberto Tuzii

Hi guys, I have been following your very interesting discussion, I am a happy owner of a MT07 HO so it is called in Australia where I live in Melbourne; I have already fitted on my bike a k-tek cartridge forks and a Razor lite at the back, and I am very happy with the handling; I have 5mm drop at the front forks, but I feel that I need to do more for making the bike steer like a race bike. I am interested in this back shock link from AP, who I have been trying to contact in any possible way to buy his linkage, but I haven't had an answer as yet. I also would like to fit my forks with K-teck SSK road kit pistons that I like a lot, but for some reasons they cannot be fitted to my k-tek cartridges, or even not to the standard MT07 forks. Would you have a suggestion please on how to get this linkage for the back shock, and/or what would I need to have at the front forks in order to fit the SSK road kit pistons? If you could help I would be eternally grateful to you and this site. Many thanks, hope to hear something soon.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Roberto Tuzii said:

Hi guys, I have been following your very interesting discussion, I am a happy owner of a MT07 HO so it is called in Australia where I live in Melbourne; I have already fitted on my bike a k-tek cartridge forks and a Razor lite at the back, and I am very happy with the handling; I have 5mm drop at the front forks, but I feel that I need to do more for making the bike steer like a race bike. I am interested in this back shock link from AP, who I have been trying to contact in any possible way to buy his linkage, but I haven't had an answer as yet. I also would like to fit my forks with K-teck SSK road kit pistons that I like a lot, but for some reasons they cannot be fitted to my k-tek cartridges, or even not to the standard MT07 forks. Would you have a suggestion please on how to get this linkage for the back shock, and/or what would I need to have at the front forks in order to fit the SSK road kit pistons? If you could help I would be eternally grateful to you and this site. Many thanks, hope to hear something soon.

Roberto, Andy is hard to get a hold of, I had been trying for months. He is on Facebook as AP Motoarts, you may want to try and reach him there. 

There is also Robem Engineering, 

cee280_70afc18ac78c41e49fdc66f762d494a3~

The Yamaha FZ-07 and MT-07 have a lot of potential in lightweight twins racings classes. We have proven solutions to improve them on track.

Hope this helps.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Roberto Tuzii

Thanks Ed, much appreciated; I shall try to get AP on facebook, hope that it will work.

Thanks for your time.

Roberto Tuzii

Hi there, hxman; thanks for your suggestion, I am chatting to Matt right now much appreciated, stay safe.