The MT-07 Forum

Am i the only one who does this?

Laben

• Premium Member

I've done this with my WRX, Gaming PC, House Projects, and really anything I find a use for.

Am I the only one who does this or is this normal??

Part List.JPG

Easy enough to find all my ordered parts under orders on amazon. That edit:(the spreadsheets) would be quicker, I have to say.

Beemer

• Premium Member

True, Amazon would be much simpler. For whatever reason I really enjoy making excel spreadsheets though lol.

• Premium Member

I've done spreadsheets on my watercooled PC build since it was parted from international sources and my AR builds since they were parted from 10+ (U.S.) sources as well. I mostly spreadsheet them to remember where I sourced the parts from  and to have an accurate parts list for future reference.

I probably shouldn't have included the prices.... it made me sad in both cases. 

I've not spreadsheet my FZ-07 But if I'm guessing I'm probably getting  close to adding 50% of initial cost with all the upgrades I've done.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DewMan said:

I've done spreadsheets on my watercooled PC build since it was parted from international sources and my AR builds since they were parted form 10+ (U.S.) sources as well. I mostly spreadsheet them to remember where I sourced the parts from  and to have an accurate parts list for future reference.

I probably shouldn't have included the prices.... it made me sad in both cases. 

I've not spreadsheet my FZ-07 But if I'm guessing I'm probably getting  close to adding 50% of initial cost with all the upgrades I've done.

That's how I felt with my WRX. Things sure do add up fast. When you feel like you haven't really begun to scratch the surface but your spreadsheet shows the total price of upgrades is always an eye opener. 

It's probably better not to know or have the prices wrote down.  There's a saying I've heard about guns (or anything for that matter) "If I die I hope my wife sells them for what they're worth, not what I told her I paid". 

2 hours ago, e30kawi said:

It's probably better not to know or have the prices wrote down.  There's a saying I've heard about guns (or anything for that matter) "If I die I hope my wife sells them for what they're worth, not what I told her I paid"

Literally should be engraved on *every* man's epitaph that has any hobby.  lol

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, e30kawi said:

It's probably better not to know or have the prices wrote down.  There's a saying I've heard about guns (or anything for that matter) "If I die I hope my wife sells them for what they're worth, not what I told her I paid". 

I'm sure it goes both way's lol. My wife has so much make up, shoes, and dresses it's scary. I figure as long as I keep my mouth shut about her shopping she we leave me be haha. As for the list though I only keep them for references when people ask me what I have done and where I got them. The files are on my work PC so there should be no worries about her seeing the prices.

I haven't done spreadsheets, but I have gone through and listed out everything I've done to vehicles as I go before. I've been keeping track for the bike, and I'm sure I'll do the same thing when I buy a new drag project this year. 

• Premium Member

I'm only 24 so maybe I like Excel from using it daily at school and work.

4 hours ago, Laben said:

I'm sure it goes both way's lol. My wife has so much make up, shoes, and dresses it's scary. I figure as long as I keep my mouth shut about her shopping she we leave me be haha. As for the list though I only keep them for references when people ask me what I have done and where I got them. The files are on my work PC so there should be no worries about her seeing the prices.

I often feel really guilty because my wife doesn't spend money on hardly anything, and she earns slightly more than I do. But then again, she loves cars and is a great sport about it. Before she had our daughter, she had a straight piped Sky Redline and laughed at me for the FZ exhaust, haha. 

Back on topic, I track all of our spending with Mint, so I don't have a breakdown for how much parts cost or what they went on, but I try to categorize everything well enough that I have a strong track of how much money goes to them. Mint also exports csv, so the two work together very well. 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, Laben said:

True, Amazon would be much simpler. For whatever reason I really enjoy making excel spreadsheets though lol.

After the tedious job of tracking everything you bought from year to year work is done, I think the excel spreadsheets make it quicker and easier. After that it's easy enough to add something to the excel list. It's not a bad idea, especially if you just got a bike and don't have years worth (like with me) of stuff to track down.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I just got a filing cabinet full of all the projects/jobs I have done... Paper receipts/ tech slips/ extra gaskets/ time slips... Alot of times parts are sourced from non-automotive stores such as fittings for CO2 lines, where we found places that can bend 4in exhaust pipe... Even got the little information/part books/ tech packs we ask for from a company...

Cost spent is pretty irrelevant for "cosmetic" stuff- the only cost I really look at is what's the cost to achieve this performance results...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 2/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, Laben said:

I'm only 24 so maybe I like Excel from using it daily at school and work.

Fellow Excel junkie here, and I do something similar for most trackable things in my life as well. 👍

Impressive stuff guys. I'm a borderline computer moron. I'm pretty good at turning it on and off, but if anything goes sideways or I accidentally hit some button... call in the wife for reinforcements. 

I got that clearing browser history thing down pat, though. ;)

• Global Moderator
On 1/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, Laben said:

I've done this with my WRX, Gaming PC, House Projects, and really anything I find a use for.

Am I the only one who does this or is this normal??

Its probably the only thing i put into spreadsheets
I hate excel, i can use it, but i hate it
that said any time i build/customize something i make a new sheet for it.
it helps to keep track of how much money i've wasted spent on my hobbies
when i had my miata, i had every nut and bolt catalogued, but this was also when i was just learning how to disassemble/reassemble cars 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, shinyribs said:

I got that clearing browser history thing down pat, though. ;)

You only think you do.

Do you clear the browser cache, registry cache and the temp files as well? 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

5 hours ago, sorkyah said:

You only think you do.

Do you clear the browser cache, registry cache and the temp files as well? 

Dude. Don't burst my bubble...

Archived