The MT-07 Forum

Missing airbox snorkel.

lilneddy

I picked up a used 2016 for the right price and I've been going through some smaller issues that are easy to fix and changing some things to fix my riding style. Over the last 20+ years I've owned multiple types of bikes, but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. The previous owner put on an after market full exhaust and did not flash the ECU. Gotta get that done soon.

Whats puzzling me is why did he remove the breather snorkel thing on the airbox? My gas millage is only 39mpg and I feel that that might be part of the problem. Should I just buy a used one on eBay?

It's very restrictive and mostly to reduce noise and the amount of dust that's able to enter the airbox.

Freer flowing airbox = more power... provided you have a tune and understand that the flow the airbox is designed in a very specific way.

There's been some great discussions on airbox modifications on these forums (with simulated flow charts) that basically all came to the conclusion that the stock airbox is pretty good with the snorkle out.

Your mileage woes are not likely due solely to the snorkel being removed, IMO. That being said, a tune will likely go a LONG way to helping the bike run better - just keep in mind you wont be seeing stock MPG figures without the stock exhaust and stock airbox setup typically.

The snorkel blocks the airflow and wears down the air filter quicker. I removed mine, I have a full exhaust but I had my bike tuned, I get around 46 mpg with a full Akrapovic exhaust

29 minutes ago, ZachEcho said:

The snorkel blocks the airflow and wears down the air filter quicker. I removed mine, I have a full exhaust but I had my bike tuned, I get around 46 mpg with a full Akrapovic exhaust

I haven't done the math on mine yet, but I was within 1 liter of fuel at fill up of my GF's R3 (9.5 litres to full vs her 8.5 or something). They both have 3.7 gal tanks.

Just estimating based of memory, I'd land somewhere around 48 mpg.

Same setup as you. Akra Ti with No snorkle and a tune.

I'll be interested to see how it is this year. I added 3 teeth in the back and went down 1 in the front. (First gear is actually useful now!)

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, ZachEcho said:

Yup, the snorkel blocks the airflow so only the lower part of the filter is used.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

It's very restrictive and mostly to reduce noise and the amount of dust that's able to enter the airbox.

Freer flowing airbox = more power... provided you have a tune and understand that the flow the airbox is designed in a very specific way.

There's been some great discussions on airbox modifications on these forums (with simulated flow charts) that basically all came to the conclusion that the stock airbox is pretty good with the snorkle out.

Your mileage woes are not likely due solely to the snorkel being removed, IMO. That being said, a tune will likely go a LONG way to helping the bike run better - just keep in mind you wont be seeing stock MPG figures without the stock exhaust and stock airbox setup typically.

I plan on getting the tune in the next month or so, before then I’m going to find a snorkel and put that on to keep the mileage up a fit. I suspect the bike is running rich without the tune. 

I'm on the same side with @topazsparrow - it should not, by itself, have any affect on mileage. Likely something else has been modified that is causing the change.

I don't think you'll see any change in mileage when you get it back on. Many, many people here did dyno tests, and I did a CFD simulation that show it can have effects on flowrate through the box, and there is no question that it should be removed if you're looking for performance upticks.

If anything, you'll be seeing a slightly leaner mixture and would see effects of it in throttle response and perf, but it would be slight - the snorkel just doesn't have that much effect on the entire system. But I can't see it having an effect of any note on MPG.

Check and see if they removed the oxygen sensor from the pipe, or maybe it just hasn't had a tuneup in a while?

You shouldn't have any problem finding a snorkel, though, as nearly everyone takes it off. Note that all the aftermarket tuners that post on this forum, all say to remove the snorkel.

FYI.

Good luck.

• Global Moderator

I just threw away all the stock parts I had removed including the snorkel, otherwise I would have sent it to you.  I expect someone else here has one laying around though. 

Thanks for the offer. Got one coming from eBay for under $10. It will be interesting to see if it does help with the MPG.

Tune up coming as soon as it gets above 40 degrees. Also, I checked the o2 senser and it’s definitely hooked up. I appreciate the help!

Is there a screen over that open airbox? Enough big particles/bugs on a filter could block air flow and affect mileage. How is that spark plug looking?

Beemer

They did not put a screen over it. Good call on checking the air filter. I’m going to pull the plugs this weekend and take a look. 

• Premium Member

Using the dash board for MPG is not accurate... 

The airbox snorkel main purpose is to damping of "intake" noise

If you really want the stock MPG you need to put everything back to stock and follow the owners manual for shift points

Even with a tune, aftermarket exhaust you will lose a few MPG from stock but gain shyt eating grins 

MPG woes main culprit is the right wrist of the human computer

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The MPG I am using is a mix between what the dash says and how far I have gone before the flashing reserve warning. I know the MPG is not really accurate, but its not super far off either. I am getting about 72 miles before the reserve kicks in. Even if the dash says 36 its probably closer to 39-40. Perhaps the previous owner put a different sprocket on..... 

I know I will lose a bit of fuel economy with an aftermarket exhaust and a previous owner taking off the snorkel. And I am aware that I will lose 5-7 MPG with a good eco tune (done that multiple times in the past) This just felt a bit like more lose than I was used to with those mods. 

Archived