The MT-07 Forum

~2018 MT-07 Windscreen options~

SomeMapleSyrup

SomeMapleSyrup

Hey guys! 😁

Trying to and gather as much information and pictures as possible since i've been having one hell of a time trying to shop for a good looking windscreen for the newer 2018 MT-07 models

I have two that i'm pretty interested in, but cant find any other pictures or videos of people who also have it so i can gather a visual from all angles. Still care heavily about the aesthetics. 

The screens are Barracuda Aerosport,

1234179217_BarracudaAerosportMT07.thumb.png.04f15d7feb1c3be65de029b62ef14f6c.png

and the GIVI A2140, 

1767908819_GIVIMT07.thumb.png.b80b95b0fa6c041812c918198cb3ca8e.png

-Any other Windscreens are welcome to be shown off and suggested!😍

Edited by SomeMapleSyrup

I'm actually looking for a screen, too, and have the ones you mentioned on my list. I also came across the following options:

MRA spoiler screen (not a fan of the double bubble, the side profile looks awkward to me)

WWW.TWISTEDTHROTTLE.COM

Turbulence got you down? Reduce irritating road noise and have a smoother ride with an MRA Spoiler Screen on your Yamaha MT-07!

National Cycle vstream sport

WWW.NATIONALCYCLE.COM

National Cycle's VStream® Windscreens have turned the motorcycle windscreen world upside down -- literally! The patented, unique inverted "V" profile creates a quiet and comfortable riding...

and probably one of the best looking (IMO), but whoa is it pricey - the DPM warrior 

WWW.DEPRETTOMOTO.COM

Made of aluminium, the product is supplied with assembly instructions, supports and hardware fasteners. It applies without making any modifications to the motorbike. The small size does...

I'm not really looking at a touring screen, just something to take a little of the wind blast off me when on the highway. 

SomeMapleSyrup

Yeah touring screens are a little too bulky for my taste as well. I'd prefer something smaller to midsize that may still help a little, but keeps the bikes overall flow from front to back in check👌

The puig dark smoke version looks pretty decent

2030002679_puigdarksmoke.jpg.37c45b67fc6fc19030b5c424c2f9551e.jpg

As well as the euro? oem windscreen. Both pretty slick options

2018-yamaha-mt-07-eu-yamaha-blue-accessorizeddetail-019.jpg.f2930678f15c80b8a7e55acd9a012a08.jpg

Edited by SomeMapleSyrup

I have an Ermax touring screen I just installed on mine. I'm not quite sure whether I like the look of the taller screen yet, I need to get the bike out of my tiny garage and get a better look at it before deciding. But Ermax has a shorter sport screen as well. 

20190205_174313.jpg

That Barracuda screens looks pretty decent in those pics. I've tried the Yamaha Sportscreen and it worked for me at cutting down the wind but I just couldn't take the horrible noise it would give in my helmet (Shoei GT Air). So currently I'm just using the Yamaha Flyscreen which does nothing to cut the wind but cleans up the front end nicely. 

Yamaha Sportscreen

7697ED03-CACE-4BAC-89C9-3DC3795715AC.jpeg

Edited by JayMT07

Instagram: @jayparrington 

SomeMapleSyrup

Your Ermax touring screen actually doesnt look too shabby! Just not sure i want to go that big myself. 
Urgh. Decisions decisions eh?
Anybody else have any sexy af screens they want to show off?(:

Just a heads up when buying a windscreen. I'm 5' 8" and I have a 39cm one from Ermax on my '15 FZ-07 that keeps/kept the wind off as much as my chest and the chin of my helmet when leaning forward a little. Your chest catches the most air so if you go any smaller than that and especially if you're taller than me your windscreen may not deflect wind from your chest, rendering it ineffective like so many smaller, better looking ones do. Just some mind candy to chew on. I hope you find 'your' happy, fine line between good looks and effective.

IMG_0334 (2).jpg

Beemer

This is what I use now.

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

2018-2019 Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07. Material: ABS Plastic. | eBay!

And before this:

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Windshield thickness: 2.5mm. YAMAHA MT-07 2018-2019. YAMAHA FZ-07 2018-2019. -You can install directly on your bike without any modification...

• 2 weeks later...
WankyMcTugger
On 2/11/2019 at 12:51 AM, Yasha said:

This is what I use now.

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

2018-2019 Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07. Material: ABS Plastic. | eBay!

And before this:

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Windshield thickness: 2.5mm. YAMAHA MT-07 2018-2019. YAMAHA FZ-07 2018-2019. -You can install directly on your bike without any modification...

Do you have any pictures of the top ebay one on your bike? It's the one I'm looking at, too.

Edited by WankyMcTugger

WankyMcTugger

There's a lot of suggestions in this thread, but does anyone actually run a fairly tall windscreen that keeps the wind off them? A lot of these look decent, but I don't want to pick one on look alone.

@WankyMcTugger Take a look at Madstad windshields if you want protection more like what a touring bike has. I've seen some big one's from them for our bike.

hero_slide_1_1024x1024.jpg?1582325150388
MADSTAD.COM

We manufacture the world's most comfortable motorcycle wind protection, a patented system that is adjustable for both height...

• Like 1

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

I got the tallest Puig touring windscreen, then added an extension on top.

Long rides are more fun with the protection!

The Honda I rented in Tasmania had the little cute sport windscreen. My jacket was plastered with bugs, and 2 bées actually got blown into my helmet. That was too much excitement for me! I will take protection

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:14 AM, West said:

I got the tallest Puig touring windscreen, then added an extension on top.

Long rides are more fun with the protection!

The Honda I rented in Tasmania had the little cute sport windscreen. My jacket was plastered with bugs, and 2 bées actually got blown into my helmet. That was too much excitement for me! I will take protection

Hi!

I am 6.2 high and I am between the 2018 OEM Yamaha Sportscreen or the puig touring you got. Can you please post some pictures of how it looks on your bike? I have found that the puig is 3.54 inch higher which a big difference.

Thank you!

I am having a hard time sending the pic..guess I need some instruction. I will keep working on it. Sorry.

I know this isn't a sexy windscreen. But it really deflects the wind over my helmet. I am 5'7". My husband has the same setup in smoke on his mt09.  When riding the twistes for a few hours and at speed to and from , it can get tiring without protection. We are 63 and 64, so not kids anymore, just love to ride!

• Like 2

Thanks!

If you remove the extension i think it looks OK.  Not as sexy as the OEM but not ugly!

I think I will get the smoke one as after 5-6 years I think the clear will show the sun wear more.

My 8 years old malossi smoke windscreen if full of marks but you need to look from very close to find them.

• 1 month later...

A couple options I haven't seen mentioned yet:

not really a windscreen, but I think it cleans up the headlight a bit:

21060.jpg

some Ermax options:

nose-fairing-ermax-for-MT-07-fz-7---2018

hypersport-screen-ermax-for-MT-07-fz-7--

• 4 months later...

I have the "Vstream" made by National Cycle, and I have both the "Sport/Tour" (shown in photo) and the "Touring".  I can change from one to the other in 5 min; just four allen screws (and you need to move four rubber grommets from on screen to the other, which is no big deal).  Once you order one kit (windscreen and bracket) you can order just the windscreen for about half the cost.

IMG_2938.thumb.jpg.e262d286d1339078a6dea6b92b898fa8.jpg\

Advantages of the Vstream, in my view:

- Polycarbonate (not acrylic), much less likely to scratch (same stuff as quality sunglasses)

- Well engineering mounting, IMHO

- Good aerodynamic design (I have an engineering background, prioritize function over aesthetics)

You can see the three available sizes shown side-by-side here:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/yamaha/yamahafz07.html

I first got the Sport/Tour version (middle size, and one in able picture) and the airflow was hitting just below my neck and causing a lot of turbulence, creating a lot of loud very annoying fluttering in my helmet.  I am 5' 9-3/4" with a 30 inch inseam.  Once I got the the custom Corbin seat, which is about 2 inches taller, the problem went away.  So your height (from the waist up) could also affect which size is best for you.

I then ordered the the Touring version (largest size) to see if it is better for cruising 70-80 MPH on the hiway -- and it is.

Here is summary of each:

Sport/Tour Version:

Top of windscreen is below the sight-line of my full-faced helmet under normal riding conditions.  So it's low an out of the way, and more fun on twisty road -- seems to be natural part of the bike.  Does a great job of blocking wind at 50 MPH and below.  Looks better than the Touring version (which is a bit over-sized and looks a bit dorky, I think).  The Sport/Tour version actually works just fine on the freeway, but mostly when there is no cross wind or gusty wind, or turbulence from nearby traffic.  I will keep this on most of the time, including for short freeway trips (30 min drive to work, for example).  Bike looks good with it.  On the freeway, wind hits the top of my chest, helmet in clean air.  Buffeting wind (from gusts for when passing trucks, for example) still blows head around a little.  When turning head to side you can defiantly feel the wind.  So on long trips it's OK, but not the best option (but MUCH better than no windscreen).

Touring Version

Best on freeway.  No difference in wind annoyance going from 65 to 80.  Wind hits about the middle of helmet, so much less wind buffeting.  Am looking over the top the screen, screen is perhaps 8 inches lower than eyes.  But the touring version does feel "bulky", and on twisting roads having the big screen going side-to-side just seems more awkward.  Bike does not look as sporty, and the screen just seems more "in the way" when thrashing through technical little twisty roads (which is what I bought this bike for -- like a mountain bike with a motor, for paved roads).  You can also feel the wind a little more in the steering, but then there is less buffeting on the rider.  Also, when riding up to about 35 MPH, I often leave my face shield open, for the great "wind in the face" sensation, but this larger screen pushes more air into my eyes, so I can't do that as much, which is another annoyance.  So I only plan to use this screen for longer rides with lots of freeway, and it could also be better when cold.  In addition to protecting from wind higher up, it's also wider to protect more of your arms.  So it's defiantly more "relaxing" to be behind the bigger piece of glass for freeway cruising, but's that's the only up side that I'm aware of.   

There is only so much you can do for the MT-07 in regards to windscreen performance.  Because there is no lower fairing to push the air out to the side (like on the Vstrom or Tracer, for example), the vacuum created by these wind screens is filled by air rush up from underneath.  While riding with a windscreen, you can put your hand over the fuel tank, off to the side, and you can feel the jet of air coming straight up.  The bigger windscreen create a bigger vacuum so even more air rushing up, and this is part of the turbulence in the airflow around the rider.  The turbulence can be modified with those secondary attachments that go on top of the windscreen, but that's getting a bit kludgey, perhaps, and maybe putting more stress on mounting. 

So again I think for the Vstream, the Sport/Tour version is the best overall size for the kind of bike that the MT-07 is, for the kind of riding this bike is made for.  It looks good, works wonderfully around town and up to speeds of 50 MPH, feels like a nature part of the bike even for sporty riding, and definitely a HUGE improvement over having no windscreen on the highway (I thought I would be blown off if I didn't keep an iron grip).  If you plan to ride your MT-07 mostly on the hiway, for commuting, for example, then you might want the larger Touring model.

BTW, to keep you windshield clean and scratch-free use "Plexus" in the spray can.  Cleans well and protects, and fills scratches with an invisible wax (same index of refraction as the poly-carbonate).  Works well also for your headlight and face shield, and sunglasses (but probably shouldn't use of sunglasses with anti-reflective coating on the back side).

Hope you all find this useful.  BTW, the Corbin seat is GREAT (I went to the factory and hid it custom fit).

Regards, Salt

• Like 2