The MT-07 Forum

Possible to lower foot pegs?

captainkool4

Are there any rear sets that are good to lower the peg height? I'm 6'2 and feel cramped, knees higher than tank and my hips are always right.  Would love an extra 2 inches or something. 

What about Pros and cons?

I'm sure that someone made a bracket to move the pegs but I don't remember who .

The cons are huge , forget any twisty road , expecially with standard suspensions

1 hour ago, Mad said:

I'm sure that someone made a bracket to move the pegs but I don't remember who .

The cons are huge , forget any twisty road , expecially with standard suspensions

What about the rearsets, like driven, that move pegs backward?  Does that help the cramping issue for longer legged drivers?  Wondering if it will be awkward to have rearsets pushed back but continue to use the stock handlebars.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, captainkool4 said:

What about the rearsets, like driven, that move pegs backward?  Does that help the cramping issue for longer legged drivers?  Wondering if it will be awkward to have rearsets pushed back but continue to use the stock handlebars.

rearsets that would push back the pegs, without raising them, would lower your knees but leave your reach to the bars unchanged since the angle from the hip to the bars wouldn't change.

There are rearsets that will move the pegs back without making them higher.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

17 minutes ago, DewMan said:

rearsets that would push back the pegs, without raising them, would lower your knees but leave your reach to the bars unchanged since the angle from the hip to the bars wouldn't change.

There are rearsets that will move the pegs back without making them higher.

But it won't throw off balance since my back end is now in a more angled position?  Any recommendation on rearsets? I've heard the driven ones, because they attach a plate to the bike then the pegs to the plate, can flex when putting weight on them and are less reliable.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, captainkool4 said:

But it won't throw off balance since my back end is now in a more angled position?  Any recommendation on rearsets? I've heard the driven ones, because they attach a plate to the bike then the pegs to the plate, can flex when putting weight on them and are less reliable. 

Theoretically rearsets normally move the center of gravity fractionally higher by virtue of moving your mass (feet and legs) higher which is preferable for racing but not ideal for comfort. And perhaps minimally move the weight bias rearward as well.

I have no experience with the Driven rearsets so I have not opinion to give on them.

I'm still in search of the perfect rearsets to suit me as well. I'm still in the gathering data stage. I'm also looking for rearsets that unfold my legs a bit more.

I do know I don't want some no-name chinesium rearsets for something as important as pegs and break/shifter levers.

Good luck in your search.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Personally, I wouldn't  want my pegs any lower to the road. I've already knocked off the pegs "feelers", and it's a nasty thing when your pegs hit the road surface that hard.  Even with no peg feelers at ll I still find them dragging every now and then. 

I'm 6' 2" with a 32" inseam. Pro Taper ADV bars keep me from having to lean so far forward vs. the stock bars, which really helped to make the bike feel more roomy and reduce hip angle. I added 1/2" of foam to the stock seat which was very nice, but I recently replaced that with a Corbin Gunfighter seat. Saw lots of conflicting reports about seat height with the Corbin, but it's about 3/4 higher than stock- mainly because it eliminates a lot of the forward slop of the stock seat. 

Honestly, the added foam to the stock seat cost me $10 and was every bit as comfy as the Corbin. I mainly bought the Corbin for looks as I've never been a fan of split seats. 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Personally, I wouldn't  want my pegs any lower to the road. I've already knocked off the pegs "feelers", and it's a nasty thing when your pegs hit the road surface that hard.  Even with no peg feelers at ll I still find them dragging every now and then. 

I'm 6' 2" with a 32" inseam. Pro Taper ADV bars keep me from having to lean so far forward vs. the stock bars, which really helped to make the bike feel more roomy and reduce hip angle. I added 1/2" of foam to the stock seat which was very nice, but I recently replaced that with a Corbin Gunfighter seat. Saw lots of conflicting reports about seat height with the Corbin, but it's about 3/4 higher than stock- mainly because it eliminates a lot of the forward slop of the stock seat. 

Honestly, the added foam to the stock seat cost me $10 and was every bit as comfy as the Corbin. I mainly bought the Corbin for looks as I've never been a fan of split seats. 

Did you just tape the foam to the top? Probably a dumb question

9 hours ago, captainkool4 said:

Did you just tape the foam to the top? Probably a dumb question

Actually, I did tape it on initially to decide if I wan on the right track or not, but I did end up slipping it underneath the seat cover. 

You can fit a surprising amount of additional foam under the stock seat cover without running out of material. 

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'3" with long legs, and have given some consideration to this issue as well.  A quick fix that I did which helped more than I expected, was to remove the rubbers on top of the pegs. Gives you about 3/4" more room. Doesn't take long to try.  Also thought about trying these, but haven't yet, since the above fix has helped enough for now.  

WWW.KNIGHTDESIGNLLC.COM

Lowered Knight Design Motorcycle Foot Pegs for Yamaha FZ-07 Models

captainkool4
On 3/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, Fitty said:

I'm 6'3" with long legs, and have given some consideration to this issue as well.  A quick fix that I did which helped more than I expected, was to remove the rubbers on top of the pegs. Gives you about 3/4" more room. Doesn't take long to try.  Also thought about trying these, but haven't yet, since the above fix has helped enough for now.  

WWW.KNIGHTDESIGNLLC.COM

Lowered Knight Design Motorcycle Foot Pegs for Yamaha FZ-07 Models

What about gripiness on the pegs?  Doesn't this make them smoother and less solid and grippy?

On 2/11/2019 at 7:44 PM, shinyribs said:

I'm 6' 2" with a 32" inseam. Pro Taper ADV bars keep me from having to lean so far forward vs. the stock bars, which really helped to make the bike feel more roomy and reduce hip angle. 

You have Evo adventure bars? Any pics? How do you like them vs stock so far?

On 3/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, worker1 said:

You have Evo adventure bars? Any pics? How do you like them vs stock so far?

Yep, those are the ones. The standard height, not the "High" version. Got about 12k miles on them and no complaints. Like any ProTaper aluminum bar, I feel you get a wee tiny bit of additional vibes through the bars. Some guys say I'm crazy on this, but I've felt it on any tapered bar I've used. 

The added width is nice. 

kE0m0m8.jpg

I don't think they look unusually tall. 

7aGMo5t.jpg

Thanks, very useful, I found the other information you posted too 

in case someone else finds this and wants more info

On 3/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, captainkool4 said:

What about gripiness on the pegs?  Doesn't this make them smoother and less solid and grippy?

No problem at all.  This is the second Yamaha I've done this on.  Also did it on my FZ1.  Plus, easy to try and put back if you don't like it.  The screws holding them on have some blue loctite on them, so it takes a little extra effort to loosen them, but not too much.

Archived