The MT-07 Forum

Engine "Flush"

Stephenms

Hey guys, question. I have some Royal Purple synthetic motorcycle oil 5w-40 (I only use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W40) lying around and was wondering if I could change my oil and put this Royal Purple stuff in for 100 miles then drain it for the Mobil 1? For somewhat of a small flush. I know that newer oil is stickier than older stuff so it'll grab more of the fine metal grits. My oil change is coming up in 200 miles as it is so it's not a huge deal. I've had the Purple for almost two years now. Brand new in bottle just have nothing to put it in and can't bring myself to dispose of it.

Is this just going to be a waste of time or am I on to something here? I'm iffy on mixing brands but (I work in an autoparts store) "oil is oil" it's the additives I worry about. I know they haven't been an issue since the synthetic first came out, you never know though.

• Premium Member

Waste of time/money... Either use it for a good 3k miles or give it away... I change oil when my shifting does not feel smooth- I use 3k miles as a reference, sometimes it's changed out earlier or a tad later... Racing, well that's a whole 'nother ballgame...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I've always heard that you want to stick with one brand of oil, whichever you choose. Due to different additives and what not the different manufacturers use. Changing weights is ok etc.  I read that on the internet so it must be true...

But I agree with the other responses, kind of a waste of time, effort, and oil to do it after a hundred miles, especially if it's well broken in by now.  But it's your oil, time, and effort, you do you boo boo.

FWIW I have only used mobile 1 full synthetic oil and good filters in my wife's car. Bought it new in 2007 and it's turned 201,000 miles with zero issues (aside from a manufacturing defect). Maybe we've been lucky, but my truck appears to be on the same path, 56,000 miles and zero issues.

Is this turning into another silly oil thread? Use it for your next oil change in 200 miles so it doesn't go to waste. So what it's not Mobile 1, it's still synthetic and it will be more than good enough to use as long as you change it on time. I seriously doubt using it one time is going to hurt anything or the stuff probably wouldn't be on the market. As far as new oil picking up particles better I haven't seen the results on that test. I would think the oil filter would do a good enough job of filtering particles so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Still, it's your baby, you have the last word on it.

Beemer

Archived