The MT-07 Forum

My formal introduction

phyciocc

• Premium Member

Hello everyone:
I have pestered...participated in a few threads but I will use this opportunity to formally introduce myself. My name is Marco, I am on the wrong side of 55, and live in Richmond KY. I am a Professor of Physics and Astronomy, and I just got my 4th bike since I turned 50 (who said the only young people have problems...).

I have owned a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 A (for two years), a 2009 Yamaha 1300 Tourer (almost 4 years) and 2012 Burgman 650 (for 1.5 years).
I bought my red girl, a 2015 FZ-07 in Rapid Red (see, even Yamaha agrees ;) )October 9th. From previous bikes, I had a large Givi Maxia e55 box, and a pair of Nelson-Rigg CL-855 saddlebags. I purchased a Givi 2118FZ topcase rack to mount the box and the Yamaha Soft Saddlebag Mount(Yamaha part # 1WS-F84G0-V0-00) to make the bags more secured. I added a Madstad Engineering windshield system (My screen is 22"). She look ...large butted but very purposeful. It goes well with my riding style: some highway, mostly middle-of-nowhere roads in Eastern Kentucky, moderate speed except when I feel frisky (I saw 100 mph on the speedometer this morning. It must be the fall air :) ).

On-tap: I have a fender eliminator to install (I think it will work with all the extra hardare I have due to bags and topbox), I am expecting delivery of a LED headlight bulb (we'll see if there is enouh room) and an Admore LED kit for the Maxia (It'll look like a Christams three when it's finished ).
I know this is not your cup of tea, but I like it. Thanks!
Marco
leftside_zps23ac5f21.jpg
rightside_zpsc2322cc2.jpg

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

I do really like your bike set up, but would like to see the Yamaha engineers faces, wondering who's crazy enough to destroy their city purpose machine.
Did you know that most of the roads between Richmond KY and Pikeville KY were made for bikes? or it seams. :D

• Premium Member

Hello Cassecou:
City? No, this bike is made for hills. Eastern KY? That is our secret. Everyone want to do the Dragon, and this and that. I do so enjoy going from Irvine, KY to Beattyville KY on 52. First down the river, then up and down the hills.
Yes, the bike is a bit overdressed. I may change the box to something smaller, but this one I had already so I had to try it on first.
Marco
From Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Physics AND Astronomy. Oh man. I could listen to lectures on those two subjects for hours on end.

In fact, I do. Lots of good ones on YouTube.

Very good stuff indeed.

• Global Moderator

Guru, you now officially have to much time on your hands. You need some riding weather. Nice job though :).

• Global Moderator

I know right. My riding season is pretty much over. But I'll do anything to please the professor.

• Premium Member
I know right. My riding season is pretty much over. But I'll do anything to please the professor.
If you were in my class, I'd term you "Brown nose" ;). But I appreciate the sentiment :)
I march to my own drum, obviously...
Marco

• Premium Member
Nice rig! I'm sure it comes in super handy and useful. What is that on your seat? Like a pad, or part of the luggage, or?
I don't know about "useful". It is probably a rationalization to buy more toys. But yeah, I'll go with "useful" :)
The pad on my seat is an Airhawk 2 cushion pad. Here is a LINK

• Premium Member

Hello Garlic:
The Givi Rack require to cut two small rectangles in the plastic of the tail. The instructions provide a template and the dimension are not overly critical. Using a small drill bit and an exacto knife it is fairly easy. The rack is over-engineered as well. It require to add two extra supports for the rack that attach to the existing tail. The bolts that hold the tail are a pain to remove (the thread locker in there is VERY hard). Be careful there.
Marco

• Premium Member

Hello:
I had bought the Air hawk seat cover for my former ride, Burgman 650 maxi-scooter, and there it was effective. With the Fz-07 I have not done a long ride yet, so the jury is still out. The shape of the seat is very different.
Marco

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

I was considering that windscreen but read a review that claimed it reflected your headlight back at you at night. Probably not too bad, but it made me hesitate and I got a Vstream Sport Touring instead which I like. But I am still interested in the Madstadt, since it is so versatile removable, and exchangable with different screens.

What is your experience with it? Any night riding, reflections distracting? I think just about any windscreen mounted forward will have SOME reflection, the one I bought does as well, but it is small and not distracting at all.

Databyter

• Premium Member

I use a Ermax tall windscreen only when it's gets under 45 degrees out as it pushes the air towards my helmet...I do have a lil headlight reflection but it's noting to annoy me because you can't have good without some bad...I prefer to not use a windscreen because it's night and day difference in wind noise and also I feel less vibration and less crosswind dancing...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Hello Databyter:
My night eyesight is...debatable, so I tend to avoid the bike at night. At the moment I cannot answer your question but I will pay attention if the occasion arises.
Marco

Archived