The MT-07 Forum

The Right Price for a Good Bike?

TySmith

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to the Fz07. I have been researching most of the winter and shopping around the last few weeks. I believe I have settled on the FZ07 as my next bike ( I haven't ridden in over 6 years) and am curious to get the forums opinion on this bike. I feel like the price might be a bit high, but then again it seems like this bike is in fantastic shape and has been well cared for thus far. 

I saw the bike in person yesterday at the shop where it is being sold. It has all of the mods I would do (though I am not sure if it has been tuned/flashed) and I really like the sleek look of it. The owner of the shop sold the bike to it's one and only owner and claims to have serviced it every year since it's been purchased. There is no evidence of a drop or lay down on the bike that I could see. 

I am hoping to pay closer to $5,200 as I will offer cash, and I think I need to move fast on it because I worry finding something this clean for the price won't be easy as I do not live in a highly populated region. 

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

I purchased a used 2017 FZ07 all stock with 2200 miles for $5500. Don't buy it from a shop. Buy it off of Craigslist. You will save more. It's all about determining how motivated the seller is. 

• Global Moderator

NADA shows an average retail value of $5,165, so the dealer has it priced on the high side, which does not surprise me.  I would be okay with $5,200 OTD, but that is just my opinion.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

Dealers.  If you are paying cash, you can usually negotiate the price down a little bit, because they set pricing on their bikes assuming that some people will be trading in a bike and dealers need to leave some cushion to pay for trades. 

If you are financing you can also usually negotiate the price down a little bit, as the dealers usually add a little % points to the interest. (they never admit this but they do. If you are paying 6% interest on a loan, 2% is usually going right into the dealers pocket). 

But if you are trading in a bike, you cant really negotiate the price down at all. Sometimes a little bit, but hardly. 

Snowy winter days are the best time to buy a motorcycle, delaers are desperate then for a sale. 

You can get a good used FZ 07 on offerup or craigslist for 5 grand all day long where I live. If the dealer can do 5k OTD,  it's a fair deal . If it has any sign of abuse  I'd probably wait. On that note the dealer said it was serviced there, so ask for the records to get a more accurate reading on the bike.Also if you need the ECU flashed , which I would do 100% because I'm a paranoid lunatic, I'd send it to 2wdw and give them a list of the mods that have been done. 

It appears to have an Akrapovic Ti exhaust on it so it may've had the ECU flashed already and possibly some other aftermarket goodies. (I do see a fender eliminator and rim decals, also.) I would enquire about all mods to the bike. This may be why they have a higher price on it, although it doesn't make the bike more expensive in the banks eyes. I would try to get them down closer to the actual worth that was mentioned ($5,165) but I personally wouldn't squabble 'too much' over a couple hundred for something in that price range but that's just me. That's the little extra I would pay for my happiness. What's yours worth to you? It's relative. Do what feels right to you/makes you happy. GL and happy riding!

Beemer

Archived