The MT-07 Forum

Is Yamaha working on a turbo MT-07?

Cruizin

2018-Yamaha-MT-07-1-1200x782.jpg
PAULTAN.ORG

Very popular in the Malaysia market is Yamaha's MT-07 but the model is getting...

I wouldn't understand why they would , being that people can just buy the MT-09 for more power.

But, the new emmision laws kick in for 2020. 

2020-Yamaha-MT-07-Turbo-2.jpg
PAULTAN.ORG

Image 949885

2020-Yamaha-MT-07-Turbo-1.jpg
PAULTAN.ORG

Image 949884

• Global Moderator

A lot of cars are going with smaller turbo engines due to emissions and fuel consumption rules.  Maybe new rulrs are going to apply to bikes and Yamaha is trying to get ahead of the curve? 

10 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

is there a bottom limit for a turbo engine as far as effectiveness goes? A turbo 250-300 is hard to grasp.

They made a turbo kit for the WR250R/X.  Not factory of course lol

turbo_.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

A blown supermoto for sale. You won't find that on your local dealer's showroom floor.

There is supposed to be a 500 in the Yamaha works somewhere. Maybe the 07 will become the 05 but with turbo version too (to get us back to current 07 power levels).

Just do it! 

I would take a turbo 07 over a 09. I didn't like the chassis of the 09 and the sound/nature of the twin just feels "right" to me. That's all subjective, of course. 

No experience of my own, but I remember reading where the 07 rods start coming apart around 100hp, so I reckon Yamaha will have to beef up the bottom end to work on reliability concerns. 

The chassis in those pics looks like the 09 frame. Subjective again, but I'm not fond of how that frame looks. I wonder if that is suggesting they will also turbo the 09, or they plan to move the 07 to that style of AL frame? 

Man, if they could preserve the 07's nature of tons of grunt down low but just add more stem up top with a turbo....how could you go wrong?

• Premium Member

^^^^^^^ Is the owner of this bike on Here??? I can't seem to find the picture of the builder's name as it was entered in a competition. I had forgot I had these on my phone.

22 hours ago, shinyribs said:

The chassis in those pics looks like the 09 frame. 

Yep, looks like an MT09 to me in the patent diagrams. A turbocharged twin in that frame could be good for meeting euro 5 emissions regulations.

Back in the day I used to want one of these. If only our engine w/turbo could be put into something more like this. Something with a longer wheelbase, more comfortable and aerodynamic for longer rides.

thGDLMAIQR.jpg

1983-yamaha-xj-650-seca-turbo-1.jpg
AUTO.HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM

The 1983 Yamaha XJ 650 Seca Turbo motorcycle combined turbo power and aerodynamic styling. See...

Beemer

The greater possibility, in my view, is that the 07 engine gets variable valve timing. It has been  introduced on Yamaha's 125 engine.

Just do it! 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, shinyribs said:

Damn dude, that's ugly enough to make a Katana look good.

medium.jpg

It's not the prettiest but it's effective. More comfortable than the FZ-07. Edit: Actually, the only reason I put that pic up there was to show that Yamaha has done turbos on factory bikes in the past, not to suggest they make one again that looks like that but I still say it's better for longer road trips, despite it's mug, lol!

Beemer

You know the talk when someone is trying to set you up with a ugly chick... nice personality, good sense of humor, etc...but they never deny the fact that their smile makes children cry? That's exactly the approach you just took 😂

5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

You know the talk when someone is trying to set you up with a ugly chick... nice personality, good sense of humor, etc...but they never deny the fact that their smile makes children cry? That's exactly the approach you just took 😂

I don't know about that, my smile has never made any children cry but it has been the tool to gain their trust and steal their candy and ice cream before they could pull it back, lol! I know, I'm just terrible! 😂

Beemer

• Premium Member

The mad scientist down at Extreme Creations outta Australia have been at the tip of the sword for turboing the MT-07, the -09, the -10 and the ugly step child Niken...

The CP3 is pushing 200whp

The CP4 is pushing approx 210whp

The CP2 is pushing 145whp on e85, 125whp on premium pump gas...

IIRC Vcyclenut has been offering tunes for the turbo CP3 kit, even an e85 upgrade last I heard...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived