The MT-07 Forum

Anyone listen to music while riding?

Grant31781

I bought the BT-S3  Bluetooth intercom system for my helmet. It works well however the wind noise around my helmet makes it were I can barely hear my music. I ride with ear plugs due to the wind noise being unbearable.

What do you use to listen to music and or cut down on wind noise?

phanomenal07

I also had the same unit you did. I had the same problem you did. I returned it the same week I bought it. Then bought a Sena 20s. I can hear my music clearly at 150 mph. I love my sena

I just downloaded a volume booster app called max volume and it definitely makes it louder. I will need to test ride to see if it is enough. Sena 20 is a bit expensive.

13 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

I bought the BT-S3  Bluetooth intercom system for my helmet. It works well however the wind noise around my helmet makes it were I can barely hear my music. I ride with ear plugs due to the wind noise being unbearable.

What do you use to listen to music and or cut down on wind noise?

I have the BTS2. Not sure how that differs from the S3?  Speaker placement is critical.  A always rode with ear plugs so figured an intercom would be useless for me. Why protect your ears with plugs only to blast sound louder than the road noise to overcome the ear plugs?

I went to the hardware store and bought some velcro with adhesive backing and some foam that was adhesive on both sides. It took some trial and error but I eventually got my speaker location directly over my ear, but more importantly, I got the distance from me ear nailed down.  My speakers sit snug enough to my ears to act as muffs to keep wind noise away, so I no longer need ear plugs. Anything louder than 50% volume on my unit is now uncomfortable. 75% volume is painful. Speaker location is key! If you get your speakers too tight you can end up with pain from the pressure, but with the soft cover over the speakers+ the correct foam behind it you should be able to make it fit snug without really crushing your ears. 

Also, a neck buff can drastically cut down on the amount of wind that sneaks up the rear of your helmet which lots of people find is the cause of most wind noise. To test this scrunch your shoulders up to the base of your helmet at speed and see how the sound changes. Now take one hand and block off the front around the chin curtain area. You should see a huge drop in wind noise. If so, a buff with do that for you by blocking air entering the helmet. If not, you've got dirty air making noise on the outside of your helmet ( bad windshield or helmet design), and that's a whole other thing to deal with. Which is why I prefer naked bikes and riding in clean air :) 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I also had the same unit you did. I had the same problem you did. I returned it the same week I bought it. Then bought a Sena 20s. I can hear my music clearly at 150 mph. I love my sena

...150 on what?

The bulk of my wind noise is from it coming under my helmet. If  I tuck my chin to my collar bone or block the air with my hand it cuts the wind noise by a good bit.

Is this a neck buff?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK&ved=2ahUKEwiWrYGgt9zhAhUIU98KHaCdBSMQFjANegQIBRAH&usg=AOvVaw19PwJnS9KJ9-tvbb6VnNai

FZ07R WaNaB

Call me Mr. BuzzKill....

Listening to music on a motorcycle = DANGEROUS

.... especially through headphones/buds/helmet mounted speakers

I had wondered if I could fit part of a bicycle tyre inner tube around the opening of the helmet ( I get these mad ideas). A buff would easier.

Just do it! 

phanomenal07
1 hour ago, Laben said:

...150 on what?

I had a cbr600 and and currently have a Daytona 675

1 hour ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Call me Mr. BuzzKill....

Listening to music on a motorcycle = DANGEROUS

.... especially through headphones/buds/helmet mounted speakers

Hello Mr Buzzkill  😉

I don't disagree with you. The music goes off in town and heavy traffic. But for long jaunts down the highway it breaks up the drone and keeps my brain from in to hibernation mode. Audio books and podcasts are too distracting. Your brain focuses on those too much, but I find music in the background keeps my brain alert without drawing attention away from the primary task at hand. 

2 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

The bulk of my wind noise is from it coming under my helmet. If  I tuck my chin to my collar bone or block the air with my hand it cuts the wind noise by a good bit.

Is this a neck buff?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK&ved=2ahUKEwiWrYGgt9zhAhUIU98KHaCdBSMQFjANegQIBRAH&usg=AOvVaw19PwJnS9KJ9-tvbb6VnNai

That's not really a neck buff, but it's shooting for the same result as far as keeping wind from roaring up in to the helmet. That windjammer is usually referred to as a helmet skirt or something similar. 

Buffs are more like a scarf that you wear around your neck, but it's a tube instead of a long strip of material. I've been thinking of picking up Oxford's version since it's supposed to be pretty good for warmer weather. You get 2 for $20. Pretty handy for other things when off the bike, too. I've just got a cheap on from Walmart right now. It was in the ladies clothing section, I think, sold as a tube scarf? 

oxford_comfy_coolmax_grey_black_large_ho
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

These special Comfys use a technical fabric called ‘CoolMax’ to deliver maximum product performance. The fabric is perfect for use in warmer climates …

Music is dangerous while riding. It makes the throttle open too far with some songs.😁

FZ07R WaNaB
5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

it breaks up the drone and keeps my brain from in to hibernation mode.

Well.... I am one of the ones who fell asleep while riding - not once, but twice, and lived to tell about it. Both times it was on a long ride on the interstate. But damn, I never thought somebody could fall asleep on a bike, let alone a RD350 😱

Man  the drone, wind noise and steady breeze with ear plugs makes me sleepy / relaxed. No ear plugs I cannot ride my bike. Wind noise is bad.

I cannot get the quote boxes removed or the quote text in there. The box would not open so a few clicks later. Lol

• Global Moderator

Lately i've been doing alot of podcasts/audiobooks

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

20 hours ago, robbo10 said:

I had wondered if I could fit part of a bicycle tyre inner tube around the opening of the helmet ( I get these mad ideas). A buff would easier.

If I recall batman had some Bat-helmet Seal on his Bat utility belt. (hee-hee! 😁) This outa reduce drafts completely!

074985003004.jpg

Beemer

18 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

Music is dangerous while riding. It makes the throttle open too far with some songs.😁

It gets me to twerkin' and distracting other drivers, leaving a wake of destruction in my path.

Beemer

Man my dad used to stand up on the seat and wave at people  on his bikes. I never tried that.  Oh yeah, I dont remember  him ever wearing a helmet goofing off like that!🙄

FZ07R WaNaB
5 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

Man my dad used to stand up on the seat and wave at people  on his bikes.

What about Kookie the Wonder Dog???

Those goofy desert racers....

Kookie the Wonder Dog 2.jpg

Kookie the Wonder Dog 1.jpg

23 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Well.... I am one of the ones who fell asleep while riding - not once, but twice, and lived to tell about it. Both times it was on a long ride on the interstate. But damn, I never thought somebody could fall asleep on a bike, let alone a RD350 😱

Haha My Dad quit riding when he couldn't stop falling asleep. I didn't really meant I got sleepy, just kinda going on auto-pilot. I rode past my exit one day and didn't notice it until about 20 miles later. Made me realize how much ground you can cover while not really paying attention and it spooked me. I don't think I hit anyone during that little zone out...I keep my brain engaged now 👍

I have a Sena 30K, can get music loud enough to hear just fine over my Akra. Keep it down low in town, but on longer rides(or rides home from work when I'm about the only person on the roads) I'll crank it up. 

Archived