The MT-07 Forum

Okay Time To Rant...

mikeyfz07

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest August BB

Having grew up with a brother who rode motorcycles, and a brother-in-law who owns many, I was always used to the long exhausts, it was just normal. You know, didn't think about it.

When I finally set out to get a motorcycle for the first time and seeing the fz07, the short exhaust I found to be interesting looking. I had zero idea it was just the modern evolution in design for motorcycle these days. I'm fine with either or, but I do prefer the short look more and can understand why its the modern look. Just much more cleaner.

my favorite is the under tail exhaust (I think zx6r, maybe cbr?), but I can appreciate pretty much most designs 

same here!  Love the FZ6/Ducati/Street Triple exhausts.  Something about dual cans under the seat that just screams sexy.  It's always been my favorite.  Then there was also the Laser quad exhaust for the FZ6, had 2-4 split pipes under the seat, so you had quads like an MV Agusta on a Yamaha.  :) 

08062008(004).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think the stock exhaust on our bikes looks good at all. Completely out of place. Visually, it is probably my biggest pet peeve with the bike overall. After I get her paid off, I see Yoshi/Akra style shorty in my bike's future. As i think those fit the bikes proportions perfectly. Mmmm, Carbon Fiber...

• Premium Member

Under tail light exhausts make your ass hot. I've ridden a 06 Honda 600RR with this style of exhaust. I'm glad ours isn't like this. However, I like the look of them.

• 2 months later...

First thing the wife said on seeing the 07 was "did the dealer make the exhaust himself if so he did not make a good job of it"
cant say I like the look of it but do appreciate it being quiet on long runs, loud pipes sound good but I find them tiring on long trips, I have a Morini that is on the loud side when I am out on that the wife knows it's time to put the brew on long before I arrive, on the MT I have to put it on myself.
You could always fit a turbo they are a reasonably effective silencer so you could likely get away with just a pipe out the side.

Here's one I like Ixil SX1:

Whoa! I haven't seen that one yet. It looks nuts. Doesn't look bad, but it is pretty jarring at first. Keeps the 'transformer' vibe of the bike going a bit.

• Premium Member
Here's one I like Ixil SX1:
Whoa! I haven't seen that one yet. It looks nuts. Doesn't look bad, but it is pretty jarring at first. Keeps the 'transformer' vibe of the bike going a bit.
Yea, that's what I like about it.  Kinda fits the trim naked look of the 07.  But I haven't heard it yet, and it would have to sound deep and not too loud to get me to buy it. 

Why can't left turners see us?

I like the OEM exhaust, I like a quiet exhaust, and I like that the bulk of the mufflers weight is down at the lowest point that it can be.

Only thing I would consider, is right where the muffler attaches to the headers, I m not sure if that muffler is removable form the header tubes or not, but from the muffler back paint it with a High temp ceramic paint in a Black matte, removing the chrome ring on the muffler, before paint.

Three coats ceramic exhaust primer, three coats of black matte ceramic exhaust paint.

That paint would fool your eye, and make the muffler look even smaller.

I would leave the header tubes  alone and leave the stock finish on them.

• Premium Member
Only thing I would consider, is right where the muffler attaches to the headers, I m not sure if that muffler is removable form the header tubes or not, but from the muffler back paint it with a High temp ceramic paint in a Black matte, removing the chrome ring on the muffler, before paint.

Judging by when I put the M4 on mine I would say that the exhaust and headers are one piece seeing as I had to cut them away from each other, I could be wrong though. I agree with the black though. You could use high temp black on the exhaust and even wrap the header pieces.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I tend to agree with the OP on the exhaust for the FZ07 anyway. Other bikes a long looks good, but the 07 was designed to have a shorty underneath. Anything looks out of place on it. For this reason I just ordered the M4! I actually kind of like the stock look, but I really need more growl from the bike.

Archived