The MT-07 Forum

2WDW vs. Rapidbike vs. FT ECU

Chop311

looking to replace the exhaust on my 16 fz07 and tune. ive searched the forums and gathered some info on tuning. 
A gentleman who sells Rapidbike auto tuners brought up a valid point about mail in flashes that i dont see addressed yet on the forums. 

2WDW maps have been dyno'd and designed in the pacific northwest, which has a drastically different elevation and climate then where I am in Miami. Do these variables greatly effect tuning?  

Im pretty green when it comes to tuning, so I have a little trouble understanding the difference between the 3 options i listed. Does a rapidbike auto tuner adjust the same things a remap/flash would? 

To preface- i dont have a PC(but can get one) which is why FT ECU is barely on my radar. 

Thanks for your time

My suggestion would be to call and talk to someone at 2WDW about that and put it to rest quick. Have you been riding long? Is this your first bike? Have any pics of the bike? 

Beemer

not long. about 20k miles. this is technically my second bike, i scooted around on a chinese 125 for a while. no pics, just a stock 2016 black fz07. just did minor cosmetic stuff so far, fender eliminator, tail light and turn signals. 

ill def reach out to them, but was hoping for some unbiased opinions from others experiences. 

sansnombre

PNW and Miami have "drastically different elevations"? 500' or so - it's like going over a small rise. Pretty sure that's negligible.

Humidity may be different, but I don't think that is a factor that is considered by the computer/tuner.

There are many, many satisfied clients of 2WDW here on this forum, all living and riding at differing altitudes than the home base in Kirkland, WA.

I don't think these factors are reasons for not considering a 2WDW tune, but, yes, call them and ask their opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sansnombre said:

PNW and Miami have "drastically different elevations"? 500' or so - it's like going over a small rise. Pretty sure that's negligible.

Humidity may be different, but I don't think that is a factor that is considered by the computer/tuner.

There are many, many satisfied clients of 2WDW here on this forum, all living and riding at differing altitudes than the home base in Kirkland, WA.

I don't think these factors are reasons for not considering a 2WDW tune, but, yes, call them and ask their opinion.

thanks for shedding light to my ignorance. living in south florida, 500ft is drastic to me. but in reality i suppose its not at all drastic 🤣

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm in Tampa area with a 2WDWs flash and I'm 100% happy with it.

Don't be a East Coast/West Coast hater. 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm in Tampa area with a 2WDWs flash and I'm 100% happy with it.

Don't be a East Coast/West Coast hater. 😁

haha never that. id prefer to be on the west coast anyway. of florida or the US. thanks for the reply! 

FTECU is the mapping software and kit that tuners use to tune their bikes. They also make a very good auto tuner .  One of the top techs from FTECU left and went to work for Nels at 2wheeldynoworks. In my experience, 2wdw is the best. I know them well.

You can save a ton of money on the exhaust by buying a performance kit from 2wheeldyno works. They sell the kits that include full exhaust, ECU flash and even the auto tuner all in one and discount for forum members. It's the best way to go.

Your stock MT07 is at 63-64 hp. The yosh performance package raises that up to 71 hp. Their Graves kit -73 hp and a ton more TQ.

Call em, tell em Cruizin sent ya. Be warned though, they are slammed on Fridays and weekends because they are at the track supporting racers. You can also email them. 

26 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

FTECU is the mapping software and kit that tuners use to tune their bikes. They also make a very good auto tuner .  One of the top techs from FTECU left and went to work for Nels at 2wheeldynoworks. In my experience, 2wdw is the best. I know them well.

You can save a ton of money on the exhaust by buying a performance kit from 2wheeldyno works. They sell the kits that include full exhaust, ECU flash and even the auto tuner all in one and discount for forum members. It's the best way to go.

Your stock MT07 is at 63-64 hp. The yosh performance package raises that up to 71 hp. Their Graves kit -73 hp and a ton more TQ.

Call em, tell em Cruizin sent ya. Be warned though, they are slammed on Fridays and weekends because they are at the track supporting racers. You can also email them. 

awesome thank you so much! i saw their packages, unfortunately i had my mind set on the SC project exhaust, i prefer the more narrow silencer look. ill def get them on the phone though to talk it out. 

appreciate the reply! 

@Chop311  If it's any peace of mind, I have the 2WDW tune with snorkel removed and akro pipe.  I live in Hawaii, so similar heat and humidity as Florida.  I descend 1200ft in elevation from my house to town over 16 miles and to cross the island I'll go from sea level to over 4000ft and back to sea level in ~100 miles without any noticeable reaction from the bike with regards to power, torque, etc.  So from my personal experience elevation temp and humidity (within normal ranges) don't come into play with these modern bikes and a proper tune.  I'm sure that there are other people tuning that provide good products and service, likely not many (if at all) have done the quantity that Nels has done.  He also stands behind his service and (last I checked) offers free follow up tunes if you were to change something on the bike or find that you're not happy for whatever reason.

Best of luck.

• Premium Member

Call and talk to one of the forum vendors Paul @bellissimoto

He should have experience with all three. Last time I talked with him he was telling me that he was running Rapidbike on his track bike.

• Global Moderator

I usually ride to Artist Point two or three times a year.  It is 5,100' elevation and I live close to sea level.  I have had no problem with the 2WDW tune.  

5B1E3C07-B897-443A-AD0B-B87C32181AE7.jpeg

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

I like my RapidBike EVO. The self adaptive feature is great. Add a new component, drive a tankful and it's automatically adjusted. It did wonders when I first installed on my '17 FZ-07 to reduce the toggle switch throttle. It self adjusted again when I installed my Akro exhaust, then again when I added the MWR intake. No downtime and shipping expense to send out the ECU each time.

Oh, and I have the ability to modify, save and restore tunes myself.

• Like 2

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

bellissimoto
On 5/3/2019 at 6:22 AM, Chop311 said:

looking to replace the exhaust on my 16 fz07 and tune. ive searched the forums and gathered some info on tuning. 
A gentleman who sells Rapidbike auto tuners brought up a valid point about mail in flashes that i dont see addressed yet on the forums. 

2WDW maps have been dyno'd and designed in the pacific northwest, which has a drastically different elevation and climate then where I am in Miami. Do these variables greatly effect tuning?  

Im pretty green when it comes to tuning, so I have a little trouble understanding the difference between the 3 options i listed. Does a rapidbike auto tuner adjust the same things a remap/flash would? 

To preface- i dont have a PC(but can get one) which is why FT ECU is barely on my radar. 

Thanks for your time

Hi Chop311,

As i28 said, I have experience with all three methods of tuning you mentioned, and all of them have their pros and cons.

I am currently running RapidBike on my racebike, a PowerCommander PC5 on my FZ-07 (soon to be switched to a Rapidbike RACE), and a custom mail-in reflash from Stoltec Moto using FT-ECU software on my XSR900 in combination with a Rapidbike EVO.

I'd like to address your questions...than add my 2 cents on the different methods of tuning.

We sell may different methods of tuning for various bikes, except reflashes, as we aren't equipped to do it properly with a dyno, etc.  In the case a customer wants a reflash for an FZ-07, I always refer them to Nels at 2WDW, and may be calling them soon for my own personal FZ-07 to work in combination with RapidBike RACE for additional functionality.

Which brings me to your questions...

1) Does climate and elevation greatly effect tuning?

They *can*.  The stock ECU in most bikes can only do so much, and although I do believe they can account for these changes to an extent, their would be no need for auto tuners of any kind if the stock computer was that robust.  Some companies that do both (flash the stock ECU and make an auto tuner) recommend their own auto tuner to fine tune fuel trims "for your conditions", and some companies that do reflashes only also recommend an aftermarket auto tuner for the same reason.  Cruizin summed it up perfectly, "Nels leaves room for engine safety in his tunes to account for changes in air temp, elevation and such parameters. Also, if you add the auto tuner to his tune, it will always be dialed in right no matter where you are."

2) Does a rapidbike auto tuner adjust the same things a remap/flash would? 

The answer to that is yes and no, and *it depends*.  RapidBike EVO has the ability to adjust fuel in real time as you ride, and also will adjust the closed loop section of the ECU fueling which most tuners don't, or can't, touch at all.  Rapidbike RACE has the added ability to adjust timing.  Both RapidBike EVO and RapidBike RACE can raise the rev limiter by 1000rpm on certain models of bikes. With Rapidbike add-on modules, there is even more functionality.  BlueBike lets you tinker with your settings if you so choose, wirelessly via Bluetooth.  There is even an app called RaceTime you can use on your phone via Bluetooth to monitor certain functions.  A plug and play quickshifter is available that works flawlessly, and finally, YouTune is a wired dash mounted remote that adds adjustable traction control, adjustable pit lane limiting (cruise control), adjustable engine braking functionality, adjustable launch control, adjustable AFR target capability, adjustable quickshifter functionality, and LED monitoring for several of those functions, plus RPM, real time AFR's etc.

Now, that might sound like a big plug for Rapidbike, but I'm just answering your specific questions.

My two cents?  There are pro's and cons for each method of tuning available (which is why I personally use multiple methods) and those pro's and cons change depending on a customers individual needs.

:)

- Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul thats a great answer and in line with what im starting to realize. Im just looking for my bike to run a little smoother (not so twitchy on the engine braking and throttle repsonse) and have a better look/sound with a full exhaust. Maximizing HP and torque is not high on the list for me. 

bellissimoto
1 hour ago, Chop311 said:

Thanks Paul thats a great answer and in line with what im starting to realize. Im just looking for my bike to run a little smoother (not so twitchy on the engine braking and throttle repsonse) and have a better look/sound with a full exhaust. Maximizing HP and torque is not high on the list for me. 

No worries Chop311.  Looks/Sound with full exhaust are all subjective, so just pick what you like.  But in general terms, when you replace the catalytic converter with a full system, usually some sort of fueling adjustment is needed.  Anything method you choose to do that with should make your bike run smoother, although some methods/products do it better than others.

If you want a flash, 2WDW is a great option.  If you want anything else, I can certainly help you :)

- Paul

• 1 year later...
Aleksandar13
On 5/7/2019 at 7:07 PM, bellissimoto said:

Hi Chop311,

As i28 said, I have experience with all three methods of tuning you mentioned, and all of them have their pros and cons.

I am currently running RapidBike on my racebike, a PowerCommander PC5 on my FZ-07 (soon to be switched to a Rapidbike RACE), and a custom mail-in reflash from Stoltec Moto using FT-ECU software on my XSR900 in combination with a Rapidbike EVO.

I'd like to address your questions...than add my 2 cents on the different methods of tuning.

We sell may different methods of tuning for various bikes, except reflashes, as we aren't equipped to do it properly with a dyno, etc.  In the case a customer wants a reflash for an FZ-07, I always refer them to Nels at 2WDW, and may be calling them soon for my own personal FZ-07 to work in combination with RapidBike RACE for additional functionality.

Which brings me to your questions...

1) Does climate and elevation greatly effect tuning?

They *can*.  The stock ECU in most bikes can only do so much, and although I do believe they can account for these changes to an extent, their would be no need for auto tuners of any kind if the stock computer was that robust.  Some companies that do both (flash the stock ECU and make an auto tuner) recommend their own auto tuner to fine tune fuel trims "for your conditions", and some companies that do reflashes only also recommend an aftermarket auto tuner for the same reason.  Cruizin summed it up perfectly, "Nels leaves room for engine safety in his tunes to account for changes in air temp, elevation and such parameters. Also, if you add the auto tuner to his tune, it will always be dialed in right no matter where you are."

2) Does a rapidbike auto tuner adjust the same things a remap/flash would? 

The answer to that is yes and no, and *it depends*.  RapidBike EVO has the ability to adjust fuel in real time as you ride, and also will adjust the closed loop section of the ECU fueling which most tuners don't, or can't, touch at all.  Rapidbike RACE has the added ability to adjust timing.  Both RapidBike EVO and RapidBike RACE can raise the rev limiter by 1000rpm on certain models of bikes. With Rapidbike add-on modules, there is even more functionality.  BlueBike lets you tinker with your settings if you so choose, wirelessly via Bluetooth.  There is even an app called RaceTime you can use on your phone via Bluetooth to monitor certain functions.  A plug and play quickshifter is available that works flawlessly, and finally, YouTune is a wired dash mounted remote that adds adjustable traction control, adjustable pit lane limiting (cruise control), adjustable engine braking functionality, adjustable launch control, adjustable AFR target capability, adjustable quickshifter functionality, and LED monitoring for several of those functions, plus RPM, real time AFR's etc.

Now, that might sound like a big plug for Rapidbike, but I'm just answering your specific questions.

My two cents?  There are pro's and cons for each method of tuning available (which is why I personally use multiple methods) and those pro's and cons change depending on a customers individual needs.

:)

- Paul

Paul, this might sound like a stupid question... Let's presume we I take the route of the rapid bike evo and autotune will do the best it can each time we add a mod to it...

1. Will I need to get on the dyno and get a tuner to work his magic on this to get the best out of the tune or is the autotune very good and you won't gain much? 

2. There is now a power vision 3 on the market and this obviously has some benefits as it has maps available to download and it is easier to install. How would this compare to the the evo module in terms of performance..? 

Would appreciate your help. 

My head 😱 🤣 

Aleks 

bellissimoto
On 3/8/2021 at 12:37 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Paul, this might sound like a stupid question... Let's presume we I take the route of the rapid bike evo and autotune will do the best it can each time we add a mod to it...

1. Will I need to get on the dyno and get a tuner to work his magic on this to get the best out of the tune or is the autotune very good and you won't gain much? 

2. There is now a power vision 3 on the market and this obviously has some benefits as it has maps available to download and it is easier to install. How would this compare to the the evo module in terms of performance..? 

Would appreciate your help. 

My head 😱🤣 

Aleks 

You have a PM :)

• Like 1