The MT-07 Forum

How far down the Rabbit Hole will I go?

pgeldz

• Premium Member

Yep, it's official...

I'm race prepping my FZ-07.  Figured I'd start a thread :)

I'm too old to race Junior Cup on my R3 in MotoAmerica, so I'm selling it and gonna try my hand with the FZ-07, since, ya know...I already have one that's decently set up (and age limits aren't a factor in the MotoAmerica Pro Twins Class).

For race prep though, I'll change it up a bit...

I had some deliveries already pics attached :)

Changing my Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch for a Suter, and taking out my original AP shock link (which is just the dogbone I think they call it), to put in the Altus Motorsports set up (link + dogbone)

I have some intake solutions which can't be revealed at the moment, and I'm gonna "massage" the motor a bit (leaving the bottom end alone).

As far as engine management, I've been super happy with my RapidBike set up on my R3.  It's never, ever been to a dyno, and made just as much power (or more in some instances) than "tuned" bikes, so I'm sticking with them.

I have the RapidBike Race, RapidBike My Tune, and Rapid Bike You Tune waiting for me to install.

Currently, I have the Akra Ti w/o baffle as far as exhaust, but I may be on the verge to do some prototyping with another manufacturer to start making a full system.  If so, we're in a good position, because they can use my Akra Ti as a benchmark, since it's known to be one of the top performing systems for our bikes, and try to best it.

Should be fun.  I'l update this thread as it develops.

- Paul

IMAG6737.jpg

IMAG6741.jpg

• Like 8

• Premium Member

Sounds like you're on the way. 👍

Can you tell us why you decided to change from Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch for a Suter?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Subscribing 

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
On 5/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, DewMan said:

Sounds like you're on the way. 👍

Can you tell us why you decided to change from Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch for a Suter?

The Yoyodyne in operation is just fine, but I do get feedback (a small click) in the lever every time I go to downshift.  When I called Yoyodyne recently, they said it's normal operation due to its design.  I believe the Suter has a different design, so I'm hoping to eliminate that feeling in the lever.

The feeling gets worse when the clutch wears, and my Yoyodyne as you guys know is like 3 1/2 years old.  Probably time to change everything anyway.

I'll be going with replacement EBC plates and stuff over OEM, since I did their clutch kit in my R3 with outstanding results.

:)

- Paul

• Thanks 1

I just checked out RapidBike. It definitely looks interesting.

They don't list a system for the FZ07 on their website, have you been talking to them directly?

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Yep, it's official...

I'm race prepping my FZ-07.  Figured I'd start a thread :)

I'm too old to race Junior Cup on my R3 in MotoAmerica, so I'm selling it and gonna try my hand with the FZ-07, since, ya know...I already have one that's decently set up (and age limits aren't a factor in the MotoAmerica Pro Twins Class).

For race prep though, I'll change it up a bit...

I had some deliveries already pis attached :)

Changing my Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch for a Suter, and taking out my original AP shock link (which is just the dogbone I think they call it), to put in the Altus Motorsports set up (link + dogbone)

I have some intake solutions which can't be revealed at the moment, and I'm gonna "massage" the motor a bit (leaving the bottom end alone).

As far as engine management, I've been super happy with my RapidBike set up on my R3.  It's never, ever been to a dyno, and made just as much power (or more in some instances) than "tuned" bikes, so I'm sticking with them.

I have the RapidBike Race, RapidBike My Tune, and Rapid Bike You Tune waiting for me to install.

Currently, I have the Akra Ti w/o baffle as far as exhaust, but I may be on the verge to do some prototyping with another manufacturer to start making a full system.  If so, we're in a good position, because they can use my Akra Ti as a benchmark, since it's known to be one of the top performing systems for our bikes, and try to best it.

Should be fun.  I'l update this thread as it develops.

- Paul

IMAG6737.jpg

IMAG6741.jpg

What shock are you going to run with the Altus link?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

@blackout I currently have the Penske, and I'll most likely keep that for now in talking with Eric from Altus.

I may change to Bitubo though, as I had great results on my R3 with it when I changed from the Penske :)

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

@blackout I currently have the Penske, and I'll most likely keep that for now in talking with Eric from Altus.

I may change to Bitubo though, as I had great results on my R3 with it when I changed from the Penske :)

I thought the Altus link was designed for a CBR600 shock?  Or are you swapping your clevis for a rod-end?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, blackout said:

I thought the Altus link was designed for a CBR600 shock?  Or are you swapping your clevis for a rod-end?

As far as I know, the Penske shock will work just fine, according to Eric at Altus.  Pic above shows the link, so the Clevis type will work I believe.  The Altus link is just like stock, just different geometry/length.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

As far as I know, the Penske shock will work just fine, according to Eric at Altus.  Pic above shows the link, so the Clevis type will work I believe.  The Altus link is just like stock, just different geometry/length.

The link above sure looks like it's for a shock with a rod-end.  As far as I know, that type of link was originally designed so that a K-tech DDS shock would work.  It puts the piggyback reservoir on the tire side. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, blackout said:

The link above sure looks like it's for a shock with a rod-end.  As far as I know, that type of link was originally designed so that a K-tech DDS shock would work.  It puts the piggyback reservoir on the tire side. 

Hmm, just look at the pic again and I'm like...damn, you're right!

Maybe Eric assumed I'd change to a rod end.  Well great.  Further down the rabbit hole I go.  May just have Bitubo make me what I need and go from there, but then I'd want matching Bitubo cartridges up front but since my stock forks were modified for the AK20's, I'd have to buy new forks, and if I'm gonna do that, than I should go R6 front end and do the super awesome Bitubo ECH29 cartridges instead of the JBH.  Ugh...I *knew* this would happen :(

- Paul

• Premium Member

Exciting! Can't wait to see what your bike :)

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Just now, pgeldz said:

Well great.  Further down the rabbit hole I go. 

Ugh...I *knew* this would happen :(

- Paul

I'll wave at you on your way by down the hole, lol.

• Like 1

Why the altus link vs the AP link.....whats the diff?

what Rapidbike kit are you using?

thanks for sharing your journey.

• Premium Member

I'm not in the paddock with these racers, but I think the main purpose of the link is to allow shocks like the ktech DDS pro fit.  These shocks are a step above the standard fz07 ktech shock.  And if memory serves me correctly, they are a cbr600 shock custom valved for the fz07.

53611112_639776653148121_5639573398443538449_n.jpg

Edit:  the cool factor on the above setup is off the charts!  Whether it is better than the standard race setup or not. :)

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Nevets said:

I just checked out RapidBike. It definitely looks interesting.

They don't list a system for the FZ07 on their website, have you been talking to them directly?

They only list the RapidBike EVO on their site, but the RapidBike RACE is definitely available :)

I've been using it on the R3 with outstanding results, and since almost everyone I talked to with a built FZ-07 said their tuner recommends an auto tuner for ram air (even though I'm not doing that right off the bat), I'm sticking with Rapidbike for my set up.  The functionality is awesome as is, but when paired with You Tune, you can change AFR targets right from your dash, and it allows you adjust several features at your finger tips (traction control, launch control, engine braking, quick shifter settings), in addition to being able to display/monitor AFR's in real time.  It's a very slick set up.

17 hours ago, fishtaco said:

Why the altus link vs the AP link.....whats the diff?

what Rapidbike kit are you using?

thanks for sharing your journey.

I have the original welded AP link (which I think was for a more linear feel, and ride height).  The Altus Link is the actual link AND Dog Bone, and in combination, is supposed to calm the rear down quite a bit and keep it planted.  I believe AP has released a few more iterations of his link, but I think I read somewhere that he's only doing work for his inner circle, or race team peeps.  At this very moment, the Altus set up is supposed to be very good from the people in the know, and since it's readily available with no wait time I figured I'd give it a try.  I will have to figure out what to do with my rear shock though, and see what's what.

As far as RapidBike, I'll be using RapidBike RACE, RapidBike My Tuning Module, and the RapidBike You Tune Module, with the RapidBike Quickshifter...basically, everything :)

- Paul

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Paul,

Thanks for sharing your build!  I'll have to look into RapidBike.  

I'm tempted to make my bike full track for next year.  I want to dump a bunch of weight needed for street and put the riding position to full race.  Right now the bars are set high for comfortable street riding and I can tell there would be a benefit lowering them for track.

Your build will be helpful.  Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

AP is doing other orders, you just have to email him directly. 

Eventually I will be able to afford to have two bikes and run my fz as track only while I have one on the street....

Life goals, damnit Paulie, I've got enough I wanna but... Now you're just enticing me to buy more

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, pgeldz said:

They only list the RapidBike EVO on their site, but the RapidBike RACE is definitely available :)

I've been using it on the R3 with outstanding results, and since almost everyone I talked to with a built FZ-07 said their tuner recommends an auto tuner for ram air (even though I'm not doing that right off the bat), I'm sticking with Rapidbike for my set up.  The functionality is awesome as is, but when paired with You Tune, you can change AFR targets right from your dash, and it allows you adjust several features at your finger tips (traction control, launch control, engine braking, quick shifter settings), in addition to being able to display/monitor AFR's in real time.  It's a very slick set up.

I have the original welded AP link (which I think was for a more linear feel, and ride height).  The Altus Link is the actual link AND Dog Bone, and in combination, is supposed to calm the rear down quite a bit and keep it planted.  I believe AP has released a few more iterations of his link, but I think I read somewhere that he's only doing work for his inner circle, or race team peeps.  At this very moment, the Altus set up is supposed to be very good from the people in the know, and since it's readily available with no wait time I figured I'd give it a try.  I will have to figure out what to do with my rear shock though, and see what's what.

As far as RapidBike, I'll be using RapidBike RACE, RapidBike My Tuning Module, and the RapidBike You Tune Module, with the RapidBike Quickshifter...basically, everything :)

- Paul

Paul, please post about the RapidBike EVO when you install and tune, I’m interested in this. 

Thanks

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, blackout said:

Paul,

Thanks for sharing your build!  I'll have to look into RapidBike.  

I'm tempted to make my bike full track for next year.  I want to dump a bunch of weight needed for street and put the riding position to full race.  Right now the bars are set high for comfortable street riding and I can tell there would be a benefit lowering them for track.

Your build will be helpful.  Thanks.

Anytime.  I'm trying to be sensible about this build, as my bike is already pretty well sorted for spirited riding and light track work.  Having said that, I find myself wanting to change it up for actual competition.

The plan is to get it mechanically sorted for racing, and race it naked (with a bellypan) for my club season.  Then possibly go full tilt for MotoAmerica.

8 hours ago, sorkyah said:

AP is doing other orders, you just have to email him directly. 

Eventually I will be able to afford to have two bikes and run my fz as track only while I have one on the street....

Life goals, damnit Paulie, I've got enough I wanna but... Now you're just enticing me to buy more

Do it!  Haha.  I have a goal of racing a pro race, and time is NOT on my side.  Remember, I couldn't even walk 9 years ago, so to be doing this at any level is a bonus.

4 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Paul, please post about the RapidBike EVO when you install and tune, I’m interested in this. 

Thanks

Ed

Will do, but I'm gonna do the RACE version.  The inherent difference between the EVO and RACE is RACE has timing.  But yes, I'll update you.

- Paul

• Like 4

Sounds exciting! Good luck with your build and race and if you can gets someone to video the race a little that would be super cool. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
On 5/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, fishtaco said:

when you get a chance please post a pic of your bike?

This is what it looks like currently:

Paul's FZ07.jpg

On 5/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, Beemer said:

Sounds exciting! Good luck with your build and race and if you can gets someone to video the race a little that would be super cool. 

Will do!  Bike is with the motor builder now!

• Like 4

• Premium Member

So, quick update...

In my initial post, I mentioned I was working on an intake solution...

Well, preliminary results are good!

What I can say at this time, is that it's an airbox-less airbox, and it uses MWR filters (yes, plural) :)

It's not MotoAmerica legal, but for club racing organizations that don't care, it'll fit right in.

The donor bike it was tested on had a mildly built motor, cams, etc, and a HordPower airbox.

With just switching out the HordPower set up for my concoction and no additional tuning whatsoever, it made 4.5 hp more on the top end, with similar results everywhere else.

That's with NO tuning, and the MWR Performance material. 

Because the test was so positive, MWR is making me the filters in the RACE material, so I hope to get even bigger gains with that, and with actual tuning for it.

- Paul

• Like 4