The MT-07 Forum

Riding pants/jeans?

persydonkers

persydonkers

Got my first bike a little while ago and now slowing buying better gear. Looking to get preferably riding jeans with kevlar. But lookN for recommendations on pants or jean.  👍

NRWhiteKnight

I have something similar to these Rev'It pants (mine are Rev'It, just not this model) Mine have the CE armor in the knees and some padding in the hips, are vented around the knee area, and have front pockets. I got them from the Motosport Outlet in Louisville, KY when it was open for a dirt cheap price I can't remember, but the work well and are comfortable.

revit_trousers_varenne_standard_black.jp

You can put your pants on 1 leg at a time, just like everyone else. Or you can unzip the side zippers and jump into the Varenne overpants.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

There are a number of pant brands out there that have Kevlar in them but some have more than others. I bought this particular brand because they seem to provide more coverage and the large cargo pockets can come in handy. They come with knee and hip armor pads and I like the roominess they provide. I hate a tight fitting jean that doesn't allow air to circulate so these fit the bill. A good combination of protection I think is a pair of these or just about any decent aramid jean and some Bohn Armor under armor underneath them. I recommend them because there's a decent chance the armor in jeans will flop around in a crash and get pushed to the inside of your leg where it won't be affective. Most jeans with armor are likely going to be like that.

The Bohn Armor provides a better chance of your under armor actually being affective because they hug you but yet they breath, they're basically nylon stockings. Be warned, they aren't cheap but as many have said, neither is the emergency room. Take a look and see for yourself. Happy shopping!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ACKW5E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T5EURY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Beemer

Bohn armor is definitely awesome - my girlfriend bought a pair of their pants and the armor coverage and fit is spot on. There aren't too many options for ladies and they definitely fit the bill.

If you're looking for jeans specifically, I've got a pair of Saint Model One's. They're up to the model 3 now, and it looks like they've made a few improvements to the fit, not that the model one's were bad. They have a pretty impressive 6 second slide time, plus CE rated armor at the hips and knees. They make mention of how their denim is different and that it's a single layer ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) vs other jeans that are denim with a layer of kevlar sewn in allowing for more airflow, but honestly...don't get them if you're looking for a summer pant. They're still incredibly heavy, but they do offer pretty solid protection. Plus they're wide enough to fit over boots with no problem.

The armor (that I have in them, not sure if they still use the same inserts) is D3O which is a little stiff and uncomfortable at first, but really molds to you once your body heat warms it up a bit. 

Edited by 7fold
fixed the bit about the kevlar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 7fold said:

but really molds to you once your body heat warms it up a bit. 

This effect was really apparent for mine. In the winter, the knee pad gets reallllly firm from the cold air blowing on it. It isn't too noticeable while on the bike, but it made walking very uncomfortable. This will probably be the same for all the pads, so having the easy access to removes these was actually more than a gimmick. 

alpinestars_copper_out_riding_jeans.jpg

The Copper Out Jeans allow you to remove the knee armor thru a clever zippered opening on the outside of the jeans. No more fumbling!