The MT-07 Forum

Air filter cover dimensions for diy

rowanh

Hi folks, I bought an 2015 MT07 last week, it has a Leo Vince exhaust on it and I don't think it has been tuned. I was thinking it would be good to get an air filter for it and I am happy to buy either the MWR or DNA air filter but to me spending 50 to 80 euros on ($55-90 or so) on the cover seems like insanity, maybe I am just a tight f***er..  

I have seen someone on here mould one with fiberglass, cut the existing cover in what only could be described as brutal :)  and 3D printing seems to be an option. While I have access to a 3D printer the temperature seems to get up to 60c which is the temperature PLA filament becomes weak/unstable/brittle etc. I think the best option would be to make one out of something like plywood or mdf.. 

So anyway, I am just wondering if anyone would have the dimensions of it, mainly the distance between the screws but any other dimensions would be good.. Probably not the kind of thing you keep but maybe someone has a photo of their plan or just likes to keep everything.. I am quite surprised this is not easy to find online as I would have thought loads of people would be making them.. I know I could just measure it myself but I park my bike on a public road and I do not really have a good space to do any work or take bits off it.. 

Ok so i figured this out in a somewhat roundabout way, 

Downloaded a filed for 3d printing and imported it into a 3d drawing app 

Created a 2D render and resized it to actual dimensions in photoshop 

Printed it so its 1:1 and measured the relevant distances with a ruler :)

For anyone who wants to make one, 

Here is a link to the render which if you print 1:1 will give something to work off 

And I have attached a photo of the print out with dimensions written on it. 

IMG_20190607_170646.jpg

My measurements are not 100% accurate, within 1mm though.. 

If you print it out the outer dimensions should be 95mm X 124mm. 

OneWheelWilly

I have the DNA filter as well (not installed yet) but was just going to use some washers or metal bracket that I can drill some holes in to bolt it down. Is there any reason I can't use this method? A couple bucks spent at the hardware store sounds a lot more enticing then $95 on a plastic lid.

The only concern I have with this method is that it will somehow throw the tune off?

My second method of choice is to use a sheet of acrylic, trace the holes (or use your drawings), and cut with a dremel.

Amazon $7.99 Acrylic sheet

Either way I can keep this project under 10$.

How did you make out with yours?