The MT-07 Forum

M4 Exhaust + Flashtune ECU flashing

beaker5377

Hi,

I'm about to bite the bullet and order the M4 for my MT, along with the Flash Tune Ecu flashing kit. I've read that you can download maps for specific setups, but haven't found one for the M4. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Later on I'll also be adding a Hordpower air box so will need to re-flash at that time as well (also haven't found a map for M4 + Hordpower). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

backwheelben

Ive just installed a flash tune kit on my MT07 (UK Model) Installed the unrestricted map and downloaded a power commander file to suit my Akrapovic Titanium and Stock Air Filter... Done a little road test and its still running very lean! So Ive ended up having to book it in for a custom dyno tune anyway...

Theres a couple videos on youtube where people have good results with just installing the FTECU unrestricted map and a power commander fuel file. But I imagine if you're changing the airbox out you're definitely going to need a custom dyno tune unless you can find someone with the same setup, willing to send you their ECU image!

My point is though I didn't get the results I expected doing a DIY ECU Flash, just something to consider mate!

Edited by backwheelben

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, backwheelben said:

Ive just installed a flash tune kit on my MT07 (UK Model) Installed the unrestricted map and downloaded a power commander file to suit my Akrapovic Titanium and Stock Air Filter... Done a little road test and its still running very lean! So Ive ended up having to book it in for a custom dyno tune anyway...

Theres a couple videos on youtube where people have good results with just installing the FTECU unrestricted map and a power commander fuel file. But I imagine if you're changing the airbox out you're definitely going to need a custom dyno tune unless you can find someone with the same setup, willing to send you their ECU image!

My point is though I didn't get the results I expected doing a DIY ECU Flash, just something to consider mate!

The unrestricted map is not recommended to be run without tuning it.

The timing in the lower RPM's is incredibly aggressive and will result in pre-det on lower octane fuels in hot weather. the TPS Map Bias is literally just a smooth gradient as well.

I don't recommend using the unrestricted map without having it dyno tuned for your fuel, altitude and bike setup.

17 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

The timing in the lower RPM's is incredibly aggressive and will result in pre-det on lower octane fuels in hot weather. the TPS Map Bias is literally just a smooth gradient as well.

I don't recommend using the unrestricted map without having it dyno tuned for your fuel, altitude and bike setup.

So would the Graves full exhaust power commander map qualify as unrestricted?

topazsparrow
15 minutes ago, beaker5377 said:

So would the Graves full exhaust power commander map qualify as unrestricted?

power commander maps are different. They're just fuel maps.

The "unrestricted" base map from FTECU is what I'm referring to. another post here:

There's a few on the forums about this as well.

Edited by topazsparrow

backwheelben
23 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

I know mate thats my point. I thought because of the youtube videos you just install the unrestricted map and import a power commander file, and you're good to go! But instead Ive gotta get a full dyno tune 🙄

topazsparrow
3 minutes ago, backwheelben said:

I know mate thats my point. I thought because of the youtube videos you just install the unrestricted map and import a power commander file, and you're good to go! But instead Ive gotta get a full dyno tune 🙄

You don't have to. Lots of people (including myself for a year before I realized this) just run the unrestricted base map with whatever PC fuel map. As long as you run it WOT all the time, it's not bad! haha. Consider it a race tune.

You can just import the fuel maps on the stock base, then turn off injector cut and whatever other features you want - I run autotune on mine as well.

You could import the unrestricted map and just overwrite the ignition timing with the stock values if you're worried about it. It's flexible so you can do anything you want really.

Edited by topazsparrow

backwheelben

Hahaa yer man its got a few dead spots though with my current tune! It probably has a bit more power in certain places but its running really lean 🙄 You obviously dont have to get a full dyno tune but I want it to run as best as it possibly can! I do like how you can make so many changes though if you know what you're doing! How you findin the auto tune?? Thats was what I first thought about getting but it costs quite a bit more than a full day on a dyno for a custom tune!

topazsparrow
1 minute ago, backwheelben said:

Hahaa yer man its got a few dead spots though with my current tune! It probably has a bit more power in certain places but its running really lean 🙄 You obviously dont have to get a full dyno tune but I want it to run as best as it possibly can! I do like how you can make so many changes though if you know what you're doing! How you findin the auto tune?? Thats was what I first thought about getting but it costs quite a bit more than a full day on a dyno for a custom tune!

I'm a HUGE advocated of the auto-tune for two reasons.

1) It allows me to swap the exhaust baffle on and off when I need (long trips or noise sensitive neighborhoods). It just adjust after a half hour or a ride or two.

2) It makes a noticeable impact. After I found out about the whacky ignition and TPS maps on the unrestricted base tune, I played with a few settings. I tried turning auto-tune off and just using the suggestions after every ride for 5 rides. Without the autotune on there was noticeable lag on the low end until I implemented the suggestions. I just leave it on now for the first reason listed above.

I've not had my bike dyno tuned, so there's probably some power to be had, but I suspect mostly in dialing in the target AFR's the auto-tune is trying to achieve and more so in dialing in the timing values (that's generally where you make up your torque afaik).

backwheelben

Yeah I wouldnt mind being able to put my DB killer in now and then for certain areas etc.. Im just makin noise everywhere at the min 🤣

Im probably gonna just go for the custom dyno tune see what thats like and possibly add an auto tune in future to account for all atmosphere changes, altitiudes etc...

Ive been playin round in the tuning suite while I wait for my dyno date, Ive just been adding more fuel to the whole TPS x RPM and MAP vs RPM tables as a whole by just selecting the whole thing and pressing the + button once at a time then going for a ride.

Probably not a smart thing to do but I like to tinker haha! Runs better at some rev ranges.. worse in others! Really good software though if you know your shet!