The MT-07 Forum

FZ/MT-07 Compared with Ducati 796 Monster?

FZ07R WaNaB

FZ07R WaNaB

I have never owned a Ducati, and for some reason I want to at least try the Ducati experience. After a bunch of research, I came up with the Monster 796 as a good first Duc especially since I've owned a FZ-07 for 3 years. I have no plans to get rid of my FZ, but am looking for some input on the 796 Monster. This is a 2013 with ABS. It has 4,100 miles and has recently had all the major service work done including valves and new belts. They are asking $6400, but I am fairly sure I can get it for $6,000. It also comes with one year left on a RPM 1 warranty. I'm riding it for the first time this weekend.

Any thoughts on the Ducati 796 Monster, especailly compared to the FZ/MT-07?

Just now, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Any thoughts on the Ducati 796 Monster, especailly compared to the FZ/MT-07?

Schwing! Do it. The 796 is quite similar in many ways to the Yamaha, being in the same class. Similar performance but with an exotic, European flair. A bit like having an expensive girlfriend 2 towns over, kind of a pita in some ways, but with a sultry, devilish edge. Parts and service sometimes costly and annoying but still only adds to the experience. I love that air cooled V-twin.

Do it

Do it

Do it

Sorry, got a little carried awayvthere.

😎 

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

I test rode one a while back. As others have said, very similar to the FZ/MT-07. Much different throttle response with more torque. HP to weight ratio is similar so it's quick. Just like you, I would love to buy one for the experience.

Valve adjust is a major expense. The dealer quoted me $900 to do it with service interval of 7500 miles. That was a deal breaker for me. I'm really happy with my FZ-07.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

• Premium Member
cornerslider

My gut says stick withe the FZ-07.... My wife really likes the Monster 796 as well. I mean who wouldn't? They are beautiful, and sexy as hell!!!! After you get past the pretty red "Italian" wrapper, you've got a a high-maintenance bike, that LACKS liquid-cooling! I love Ducati as much as anyone, but this isn't the 1970's. I personally will not own a bike that is air-cooled. Just my two cents 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I say 'stick' too.  I would not mind air cooling tho. Quite taken with the new Kwak W800.

Just do it! 

FZ07R WaNaB
12 hours ago, cornerslider said:

My gut says stick withe the FZ-07....

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of getting rid of my FZ-07! I have it set up for long distance as well as daily local riding, plus it's a long life, low maintenance bike. Having done over 500 miles in a day on three different occasions on my FZ, I know how universal the FZ is.

My thought on the 796 is all about a completely different experience. The 796 is cool as hell looking, supposedly handles great, and has plenty of power, so I think this will be fun to play with for at least 2 years. Another one that is on my list is the Moto Guzzi V7 which I have ridden, and almost bought it instead of the FZ. It's also a totally different riding experience. The Guzzi experience is going to have to wait for a couple of years.

I am fortunate enough to have two very different bikes. I alternate riding them. An FZ and a Monster would good, if funds-draining.

Just do it! 

Cool bike for sure and if you don't ride it all the time (weekend bike) maybe it won't be so expensive. If you're not doing a lot of stop & go on an air cooled bike it's going to be OK but I'm probably preaching to the choir. Let'er rip and don't have a melt down over the thought of it overheating, lol! Here's a thought, do you live in/near the woods or close to some off-road trails? A big field close by? Maybe a dirt bike for fun next time around??? They're the answer to the winter blues. 😉

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I think I got this image from another thread on the forum, but it seemed appropriate here :).  

F766D74B-FF10-481D-B203-DFB3E86F5181.jpeg

• Global Moderator
57 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I think I got this image from another thread on the forum, but it seemed appropriate here :).  

F766D74B-FF10-481D-B203-DFB3E86F5181.jpeg

Should be making mechanics out of posers :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

57 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

Should be making mechanics out of posers :P

Where's a good shop to have my tongue sharpened like that? lol!

Beemer

FZ07R WaNaB

Sadly, I have to report that the 796 Monster deal did not go through. I went to see the Duc, but it was over before it started.

Bottom line was that I was too vertically challenged for the bike. My FZ is rated at 31.7 seat height, and the 796 is 31.5", but that wasn't the real story. Unfortunately it ended up where I couldn't even touch on my tiptoes - Crap!!!

I was going to buy a Ducati Scrambler before I bought the FZ07. The Maintenance is REALLY high. I spoke to the dealer about this. His answer ( I kid you not) was. Don't worry about it. Most owners sell the bike before the 6000 mile valve adjustment. Research on craigslist confirmed that. Also in Miami there is only one Ducati dealer and its not in a central location so logistically it didn't make sense.

Monster 796 Adjust valves every 7,000 miles, FZ07 25,000 miles

Monster Air Cooled, FZ07 Liquid Cooled

Archived