The MT-07 Forum

Ergonomic Limitations with Stock Top Triple...

blackout

• Premium Member

Since the FZ-07 comes with handle bars, Yamaha designed a top triple that drops about 3/4" to pick up the fork stanchions.  When converting to clip-ons that mount to the inner fork tubes (stanchions), you are forced to mount them quite low or use a 3-piece spacer/riser setup that moves the bars forward and up.  I would like to use a more simple 2-piece neutral clip-on mounted just below a custom flat top triple.  Less fasteners to worry about loosening, lighter, and more robust setup.  What we want on a race bike.  BTW, these are Woodcraft parts I'm referring to.

Here is the question.  My research on here shows R3 stanchions are about 1" longer, so they would give the added length needed to run a flat top triple without reducing front ride height.  Will there be any issues swapping R3 inner tubes to the FZ-07 outer tubes using my K-tech cartridges?  Will a spacer be needed at the bottom to take up the extra length of the new fork setup?  Any other problems?

Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

15 hours ago, blackout said:

Here is the question.  My research on here shows R3 stanchions are about 1" longer, so they would give the added length needed to run a flat top triple without reducing front ride height.  Will there be any issues swapping R3 inner tubes to the FZ-07 outer tubes using my K-tech cartridges?  Will a spacer be needed at the bottom to take up the extra length of the new fork setup?  Any other problems?

Thanks for any input!

I don't know off hand but I'm back at the track this weekend so I'll ask the suspension guys and R3 racers. I suspect there's a way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blackout said:

Thanks Mossrider.

Here's the short answer: 

It can be done but would require some fiddling with spacers and machining to get lengths right. Depending on the amount of monkeying around it could range from almost affordable done yourself, to ridiculous if you paid someone to do it. 

The Trackside Labs guy said he's never tried it but it would be an interesting project and based on his familiarity with the parts in question says it's doable.

Dave

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3

• Global Moderator

Sounds like we might have a new option for a decent front suspension setup w/o going the adapter route. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Sounds like we might have a new option for a decent front suspension setup w/o going the adapter route. 

Following this, with an eagle eye. Interesting idea!

• Premium Member

All this would be easier if Yamaha manufactured an FZ07R, but what fun would that be during the winter months...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
Just now, blackout said:

All this would be easier if Yamaha manufactured an FZ07R, but what fun would that be during the winter months...

There's a lot to be said about getting in there and figuring it out. I try, but I have nowhere the experience, tools, space, to be honest the straight up talent you have. That said its a learning curve, I build structures made of concrete, and bricks. No relation, but common engineering,  gray-matter passe's over each other at time's.

• Like 1

I left out the part where he looked at me funny and said, "you ain't right".

I'm pretty sure he was referring to you guys...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Going to the track tomorrow and there is no rain in the forecast.  It's a Christmas miracle!

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Perfect weather.  69 degrees and sunny.

0831191008.jpg

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

There is pretty much zero heat transfer to the aluminum air box since it is isolated from the engine with rubber intake runners.   The shock body on the other hand is hot to the touch.  A shock that can be mounted with the body end at the swingarm would absorb less heat.  Not sure if anyone has looked into this, but damping changes and extra wear on the shock oil are possible concerns.  Or I'm just thinking too much again.   Lol

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, blackout said:

There is pretty much zero heat transfer to the aluminum air box since it is isolated from the engine with rubber intake runners.   The shock body on the other hand is hot to the touch.  A shock that can be mounted with the body end at the swingarm would absorb less heat.  Not sure if anyone has looked into this, but damping changes and extra wear on the shock oil are possible concerns.  Or I'm just thinking too much again.   Lol

You crack me up, in a good way. @blackout You know if nobody ever tried to improve on things that people assume are good, or take for granted that all the R&D has been done. Then I suppose we'd still be on steam trains, etc. You get the way I'm drifting.

I'm sure it'll not work, but why don't your turn it upside down? Fabricate washer's, different bolts, etc to make it work? Hapless ideology from my cranium.

• Premium Member

It can be done with a CBR 600 style shock and a new bell crank from Andy Palmer.  (Pretty sure that is a AP Moto setup, but not sure.)  But, I don't think reducing  heat soak was the objective.  Most likely, making room to mount a top shelf shock that is other wise not available for the fz07.

53611112_639776653148121_5639573398443538449_n.jpg

So for my setup, a new bell crank is needed and then swap the Nitron cleavis for a rod end bearing.  Just money.  Lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 9/1/2019 at 7:16 AM, blackout said:

(Pretty sure that is a AP Moto setup, but not sure.)

As far as I know Andy is K-Tech front and back right now, at least on Draik Beauchamps bike, not entirely sure about the other builds he supports, e.g Cooper McDonald,, etc.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, blackout said:

Perfect weather.  69 degrees and sunny.

Need more of a report on track outing...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mossrider said:

Need more of a report on track outing...

Had a blast as usual.  Still riding in the novice group.  Got yelled at by a coach for an "illegal" pass.  lol  

Worked on my turn 1 braking so that I wasn't coasting so much before turn-in.  Turn 1 is after the longest straight-away at NYST.

I didn't crash, so score that a win!  I almost ride too careful at the track I think, but I need to get home in one piece....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

Illegal pass? 

Wtf did you do @blackout

The coach said I passed in turn 6 where no passing is allowed at all.   But I did all my passing before that turn and was staying wide with the intention to filter behind him.  In my opinion, turn 6 is actually a safe turn to pass in the novice group when the pace is slower.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

28 minutes ago, blackout said:

I didn't crash, so score that a win!  I almost ride too careful at the track I think, but I need to get home in one piece....

I used to think I had to shrink my over sized safety margins to get faster and push the envelope. Then I had a race coach tell me once that there's nothing wrong with large safety margins. He said you develop your skills, get faster and take your margins with you as you progress.  Everyone has different margins, some nonexistant, some enormous. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 8/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, blackout said:

The shock body on the other hand is hot to the touch.  A shock that can be mounted with the body end at the swingarm would absorb less heat.  

this is a problem for me. by the 5th lap the rear feels under-damped. the first 3-4 laps are fine, so its got to be heat-soak causing the oil to thin.

-HowWorkClutch

The shock is mounted to the engine block, so the shock is not the only source of heat. Let your bike idle for 5 mins and touch the shock. It contributes significantly, just bad design. Or maybe not designed for spirited riding.