The MT-07 Forum

What's the point of not getting foldable levers ?

rylark

Currently looking to replace my stock levers with long aftermarket ones, but I'm not sure what's the point of a standard long lever vs a foldable one. Are there different pros and cons between these two ?

folding levers generally cost more. They also have more moving parts and screws which if gone unnoticed can back off and fall out (particularly on the cheap chinese ones).

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

folding levers generally cost more. They also have more moving parts and screws which if gone unnoticed can back off and fall out (particularly on the cheap chinese ones).

Well, I'm buying PUIG levers (which cost around 120€), and they have both folding and none-folding at the same price. Would you recommend the folding ones over the others ?

47 minutes ago, rylark said:

Well, I'm buying PUIG levers (which cost around 120€), and they have both folding and none-folding at the same price. Would you recommend the folding ones over the others ?

Folding ones are less likely to break if you drop your bike.

I just don't drop my bike. I recommend you also don't drop your bike and their biggest selling feature becomes a bit of a moot point.

If you might drop your bike or you're a new rider - for the same cost, I'd get them. If you're pretty sure you're not going to drop your bike unless you crash - saving your levers wont be much of a concern, get the non folding ones that are much less likely to come apart on their own while riding.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NikitaUCLA said:

What's the point of a folding lever? If you crash, the levers will be the last thing on your mind.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but originally they were designed for racers that may try to remount after a crash. They come standard on many high-end (i.e. track focussed) master cylinders such as brembo’s RCS series. 

I used to bring spare levers to the track, especially if I rode there...

Too much concern over levers, IMHO. If I happen to dump a bike and I break a measly lever then so be it. How often does it happen if it even happens at all so with that perspective I don't worry myself over such things. If it's any consolation, I do have shorty levers and they do bend backwards to some degree and that might help them if the bike gets dumped. It's a rarity that I dump a bike so I'm not concerned.

Beemer