The MT-07 Forum

She won't start after washing.

No Hater

• Premium Member

So stupid me must have got water on something that wasn't supposed to be wet. I literally only sprayed the wheels (trying to intentionally be careful) although I obviously wasn't.  

For those of you that are more technically inclined with motorcycles than myself, please check out the video and tell me what you think.

Thanks for any advice. I'd rather not tow it to a shop to tell me something I should know  and can fix myself.

Just off the top of my head, it's had 14 hours to dry off, whatever it was, will it start now? if not I'd pop off some of those plastic covers/caps (fuse box) and see if water got inside/let them dry out. Other than that just check for loose connections. 

• Like 1

Beemer

check your battery connections and charge the battery....sounds like it's either low,

a loose connection, or  combination of both...

and check the  connection at the starter...

Edited by bugsinteeth
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Beemer said:

Just off the top of my head, it's had 14 hours to dry off, whatever it was, will it start now? if not I'd pop off some of those plastic covers/caps (fuse box) and see if water got inside/let them dry out. Other than that just check for loose connections. 

Yea I don't get it. It has dried out for a week. The first thing I did was pop off the plastic covers and inspected connections. I Figured it would dry out and be all good. The battery is as strong as the first time I attempted to get it to turn.  Maybe there is something with the computer that senses something is wrong and wont let it go. I suppose I will try and disconnect battery and try it again.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
10 minutes ago, No Hater said:

Yea I don't get it. It has dried out for a week. The first thing I did was pop off the plastic covers and inspected connections. I Figured it would dry out and be all good. The battery is as strong as the first time I attempted to get it to turn.  Maybe there is something with the computer that senses something is wrong and wont let it go. I suppose I will try and disconnect battery and try it again.

That's not a bad idea, when in doubt, reboot. 👍

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Global Moderator

sounds like a relay is turning off and on repeatedly

maybe double check em

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:56 PM, sorkyah said:

sounds like a relay is turning off and on repeatedly

maybe double check em

That sounds plausible. I still cant figure it out. I pulled power and the battery shows good. I'm honestly just inexperience with motorcycles, if it was a car, I have no problem swaping parts out and figuring out what it is. This should be simpler. I'm just not familiar with the ignition system and said relays. The cables (one from battery the other ...going to starter?) seems to be a relay which is what is making the clicking noise.  

• Global Moderator
26 minutes ago, No Hater said:

That sounds plausible. I still cant figure it out. I pulled power and the battery shows good. I'm honestly just inexperience with motorcycles, if it was a car, I have no problem swaping parts out and figuring out what it is. This should be simpler. I'm just not familiar with the ignition system and said relays. The cables (one from battery the other ...going to starter?) seems to be a relay which is what is making the clicking noise.  

It's likely one of em is just sticking 

The relays are in those boxes under the seat along with the fuses

If you're familiar with 12v systems there's very little difference between bikes and cars

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

It's likely one of em is just sticking 

The relays are in those boxes under the seat along with the fuses

If you're familiar with 12v systems there's very little difference between bikes and cars

I'm going to completely take the battery out, test to see if it is indeed still giving good/enough output then if the battery is ruled completely out I will remove and replace this starter solenoid (relay), as that is what is continuously clicking.   I have never had an issue with it not starting although, this is still the original battery I've got 9800 miles on the bike and I don't ride her as much as I use to. She sits for a week or two at a time. Me washing it could just be a coincidence.

• Premium Member

Check the safety switches such as kickstand, clutch, etc...  Stock battery last about 3yrs if one doesn't take care of em... Yeah they can show a full charge but it's not worth anything if it don't got the needed CCA on tap (cold crank amps)...

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

UPDATE:  Washing the bike was simply a coincidence.  The battery took a good charge, it was just not putting out enough to do anything except power everything up.  I bought a new battery and all is god.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, No Hater said:

UPDATE:  Washing the bike was simply a coincidence.  The battery took a good charge, it was just not putting out enough to do anything except power everything up.  I bought a new battery and all is god.  

Thanks! We appreciate the update. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Glad you fixed the issue. I only ride my bike on weekends, but always keep a battery tender connected to my bike. Since you don’t ride your bike that often, a battery tender may be a good investment to keep your new battery healthy.

• Premium Member
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, Eastern Kayaker said:

Glad you fixed the issue. I only ride my bike on weekends, but always keep a battery tender connected to my bike. Since you don’t ride your bike that often, a battery tender may be a good investment to keep your new battery healthy.

Up until now I have always done that. I actually have a quick connect to the battery hooked up for that purpose. I live in Waikiki now in an apartment building with no plugs within a manageable distance.