The MT-07 Forum

Speed blocks on a red XSR700

klx678

This is cross posted here and in XSR forum, just wanted some thoughts/opinions.

I like the speed blocks from the 80s with the yellow/black/white. Yamaha did that graphic on the XSR700, but unfortunately they didn't sent that bike to the US. Instead I have the red. So I decide to play a bit. I do a side business with cam chain tensioners and have a sticker company do my stickers, but they also do other stuff I play with, like my helmet.

bikepics-2802054-full.jpg

So I figure why not see what the speed blocks look like on red. So I did two quick graphics, one with the stripe and blocks only,

187806118_speedblocks.thumb.jpg.3618065b1eb70d7b3ffb903fe3b826eb.jpg

and one with the stripe and blocks, but black below it.

1306913124_speedblocksblacklower.thumb.jpg.09b06a307bdeb08fb11233f23768aef8.jpg

Granted the brushed in highlights aren't perfect, but you get the idea. I think the stripe cuts down on the bulkiness of the tank, a bit more of the street tracker look I like so much. Only question is about whether to go black or leave the original red below.

If you like the speed blocks, which looks best?   Wondered which one you guys think looks best. It's subtle, but different. I'd like to find a nice flat track seat/tail section that would look good and continue the stripes on it.

Also one other possibility, doing the stripe in brushed aluminum instead of white.  There is brushed aluminum look material that can have the black printed on it. I don't plan on doing any sanding or painting of the panels. 

Edited by klx678