The MT-07 Forum

ECU reflash in Europe

Lokari

Hey everyone!

I own a 2017 Yamaha MT-07 fitted with the full Akrapovic titanium exhaust, snorkel intact and stock air filter.

I have been going back and forth with getting a power commander or an ECU reflash, coming to the conclusion that the ECU reflash is likely the smarter thing to do. Now I just need to find a shop in Europe to send the ECU to, anybody here have any recommendations?

I believe sending the ECU overseas to the US just to get it reflashed would be pretty silly.

Edited by Lokari

• Premium Member

If you check the threads, you'll see 1 person with a  mail in flash that he's blaming his after the fact issues on.

There are any number of threads about people having issues figuring out how to use the Power commander or are having issues with their changes. 

Unless you have the tuner background to properly install/use the power commander I'd highly recommend getting your ECU flashed by a competent shop whether that be in the U.S. or closer to home, that guarantees their work and offers free reflashes. IMO the headaches of do it yourself just aren't worth it.

Good Luck to you either way decide to go and welcome to the Forum. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yeah I have come to the conclusion that it would just be silly to get the PC on that platform, especially since the stock ECU is already very competent.

I'm going to get the ECU flashed, but now I just have to figure out where I'll do it. Are there any "go-to" shops in Europe that people prefer to use? I'm fine with mailing the ECU to the US as well, but it just seems a bit stupid mailing it overseas just to get it reflashed.

Also while I am at it should I upgrade the air filter and remove the snorkel as well so I could get the ECU flashed to those specs?

Either way thank you for the warm welcome!

I believe with the akrapovic titanium exhaust you can run factory tuning as long as you leave the baffle in, if you want to run exhaust without the baffle then defn tune it. 

For intake, if you tune it, I would run stock filter without snorkel because its not worth the minimal gains going from snorkel delete to aftermarket filter in my opinion. And paper filters better.

As for tuning in Europe, I can't help you there. Hopefully somebody knows.

Yeah I have had the bike for 3 summers now with the Akrapovic, with the baffle it runs all fine, but without it it is a bit on the leaner side. Surely getting a tune now just to optimize the bike overall and to be able to run it without the baffle without worrying about the health of the engine.

I suppose that would be smart to just remove the snorkel and run the OEM filter.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, geophb said:

I believe with the akrapovic titanium exhaust you can run factory tuning as long as you leave the baffle in, if you want to run exhaust without the baffle then defn tune it. 

For intake, if you tune it, I would run stock filter without snorkel because its not worth the minimal gains going from snorkel delete to aftermarket filter in my opinion. And paper filters better.

As for tuning in Europe, I can't help you there. Hopefully somebody knows.

Need the catalytic converter also to run the exhaust without a "tune"... also baffle(probably can use the FZ/MT-09 baffle if you want a bit more noise) has to be in...

This was the fancy laser logo engraved exhaust pipe Yamaha sold on its website...

Yes you can get a regular ole akra Ti and find the catalytic converter to install also... I dunno the part numbers... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

7 hours ago, Lokari said:

I'm fine with mailing the ECU to the US as well, but it just seems a bit stupid mailing it overseas just to get it reflashed.

Be careful with this - if your EU bike has an immobiliser (US bikes do not) a flashed ecu may not recognise your key set.

The PCV takes a bit of time to fit, but uploading a suitable fuel & ignition map takes just 2 mouse clicks, couldn’t be easier.

Dynojet’s newer PV3 is easier to fit (plugs straight into diagnostic port), but I’m not certain of the availability of modified maps (unless you can use the PCV .pvm file format?). I’m sure others can chime in with more info.

3079_84.jpg?quality=70&fit=bounds&height

Device Features: Flash performance tunes via OEM diagnostic connector, no need to remove and send out ECU Display vehicle data channels in real-time Weather resistant for use in all...

11 hours ago, stickshift said:

Be careful with this - if your EU bike has an immobiliser (US bikes do not) a flashed ecu may not recognise your key set.

The PCV takes a bit of time to fit, but uploading a suitable fuel & ignition map takes just 2 mouse clicks, couldn’t be easier.

Dynojet’s newer PV3 is easier to fit (plugs straight into diagnostic port), but I’m not certain of the availability of modified maps (unless you can use the PCV .pvm file format?). I’m sure others can chime in with more info.

3079_84.jpg?quality=70&fit=bounds&height

Device Features: Flash performance tunes via OEM diagnostic connector, no need to remove and send out ECU Display vehicle data channels in real-time Weather resistant for use in all...

Oh yeah that is a great point - got to look into it now. Pretty certain (all?) EU bikes have the immobilizer.

I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble fitting the PCV, the matter is more that I would rather use the stock ECU with a flash since it has the capability of supporting it. Either way I'll look into these options as well.

I'll call some local Finnish shops as well and see what they have to say, unfortunately at the least there isn't much (if any at all) documentation of people tuning/flashing their ECU's here in Finland.

14 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Need the catalytic converter also to run the exhaust without a "tune"... also baffle(probably can use the FZ/MT-09 baffle if you want a bit more noise) has to be in...

This was the fancy laser logo engraved exhaust pipe Yamaha sold on its website...

Yes you can get a regular ole akra Ti and find the catalytic converter to install also... I dunno the part numbers... 

There seems to be a ton of opinions on this matter. When I bought the bike the guys at my local Yamaha dealer told me to not worry about getting a tune even though I had the bike with the full Akrapovic titanium exhaust, no baffle and no cat. Don't really know what to think of their opinion, but it runs lean enough for me to want a tune.