The MT-07 Forum

Full m4 exhaust and ecu flash

Warpig83655

Hello, Just got my 2017 fz07 a month ago and the exhaust HAS to go. I'm planning on an m4 full exhaust. It's too cold to ride now and wanted to get the ecu flashed by vcyclenut soon while it's too cold to ride. And begin saving for the 650$ for the Exhaust. Can I get the ECU flashed before hand and run the bike for a short period on stock exhaust...maybe a month or so If weather permits before I get the exhaust installed?  Thx 

Edited by Warpig83655

@Warpig83655

Welcome to the forums and congrats for your new purchases ! (both the bike and exhaust ;))

I (almost) have the same setup as you (have the M4, but the slip-on only, full M4 didn't exist back then) and also was in the same situation (did the flash before the exhaust change that I did roughly a month or two after the flash and ran the bike on weekends only in the meantime)

Before doing so, I asked the same question @ 2WDW (before getting my flash done) and the guys there were very helpful, I was told it would be ok since it would be for a short amount of time (besides running a bit rich for a short time, which doesn't damage anything on the bike).

That being said, the M4 slip-on barely adds hp/torque, so I believe there's not a huge difference between stock air/fuel map vs the flash for the M4 slip on (as opposed to having an Akrapovic exhaust for example, which would require a reflash because of the bigger hp/torque, therefore required fueling vs higher airflow Akra provides vs an M4 in this case)

Tip:  In order to run "less rich" while flash is done and exhaust not yet installed, remove your snorkel after your flash, you'll already get more air intake (roughly 16% more air intake than keeping the snorkel in, @sansnombre did a great post on this if you wanna know more)

Oh, one last tip for the M4:  You might wanna consider buying the alternate Q4 insert (stage 2 DB killer, if it fits the full exhaust, not sure) as the M4 is *VERY* loud in person (impossible to gauge on Youtube videos, but according to a lot of people, the M4 is most probably the loudest of all FZ07's aftermarket exhausts).  If I didn' get the Q4 inserts, I wouldn't have kept the M4 for sure, as even with the stock insert, it was too loud for me.  That being said, "too loud" varies from one person to another.  One sure thing though, you'll definitely enjoy that "old V8" type of growling vs that scooter / weed-eater stock sounding exhaust! 😂

Edited by EZrider

Weed eater is 100% accurate. Even with some of the youtube videos I thought "f@#k...that's obnoxiously loud. I think I will get that insert. Also thought If I am saving for and m4 I might as well get an akrapovic titanium for a couple hundred more. I just dont really care for the sound, I prefer the way the m4 sounds. But..If the akrapovic is superior as far as the possibility of gaining a couple hurspurs I would consider that. And I really appreciate the detailed reply good sir!

Edited by Warpig83655

8 hours ago, Warpig83655 said:

Weed eater is 100% accurate. Even with some of the youtube videos I thought "f@#k...that's obnoxiously loud. I think I will get that insert. Also thought If I am saving for and m4 I might as well get an akrapovic titanium for a couple hundred more. I just dont really care for the sound, I prefer the way the m4 sounds. But..If the akrapovic is superior as far as the possibility of gaining a couple hurspurs I would consider that. And I really appreciate the detailed reply good sir!

Get the one that YOU like. Lots of people run the m4. The only reason i put on the akrapovic titanium is it looks the cleanest.  and it sounded good.

As for loudness, same thing happened to me. Its loud. And the twin thump will give your head a workout in the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 9:23 PM, Warpig83655 said:

Hello, Just got my 2017 fz07 a month ago and the exhaust HAS to go. I'm planning on an m4 full exhaust. It's too cold to ride now and wanted to get the ecu flashed by vcyclenut soon while it's too cold to ride. And begin saving for the 650$ for the Exhaust. Can I get the ECU flashed before hand and run the bike for a short period on stock exhaust...maybe a month or so If weather permits before I get the exhaust installed?  Thx 

This is not a tech tip, so Im moving it. Please only put tech tips in the tech tip section. 

• Thanks 1