The MT-07 Forum

Three years later....

cornerslider

• Premium Member

Nice build, I dig it 😉

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Looks good and I hope you like the 2WDW flash. I am done with mods as well. The only new mods may be some new gear. Has to be nice to have a dedicated track monster!

Werbenjagermanjensen

Wonder what kinda guy goes around just throwing out offers like that...

Though, I can see his inclination. Nice FZ.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Looks good and I hope you like the 2WDW flash. I am done with mods as well. The only new mods may be some new gear. Has to be nice to have a dedicated track monster!

Thank you, it's actually "freeing" to be DONE 😎. I'm really looking forward to have dedicated track-only bike. I'm so tired of pulling the kickstand, pulling the license plate, taping lights, etc. and then repeat..... I've always had a street bike as well. I had a 2005 Honda VTX1800F. I really lost interest in it since I got the FZ-07. I traded it in last fall for the R3-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Werbenjagermanjensen said:

Wonder what kinda guy goes around just throwing out offers like that...

Though, I can see his inclination. Nice FZ.

The guy rode up on a brand new Ducati V4 (didn't even have plates on it yet). I talked to him a bit. He insisted I take his number if I changed my mind. I have to say, it felt pretty good to decline his offer. "Money can't buy everything" 😎

• Like 1

What an awesome setup! Looks as much like a street-fighter as it does a naked.

I have been wanting to swap out the bars and rear sets on mine for a more aggressive position. How did you settle on the Renthal bars and Woodcraft rear set combo? Did you try any others?

Would you recommend swapping both the bar and rear sets at the same time?

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, SDSD-ride said:

What an awesome setup! Looks as much like a street-fighter as it does a naked.

I have been wanting to swap out the bars and rear sets on mine for a more aggressive position. How did you settle on the Renthal bars and Woodcraft rear set combo? Did you try any others?

Would you recommend swapping both the bar and rear sets at the same time?

I did the bars first. I just did a little research, and a lot people like them. I knew I hated the OEM bars. The Renthals were very different at first. I liked them after a couple track sessions. I love them now. I did the Woodcraft rearsets after I started dragging the OEM pegs. I chose Woodcraft because I’m very loyal to the brand- they only build quality parts that work! I initially went all the way up, and all the way back with the set-up. My legs cramped up in 15 minutes. I settled on somewhere in the middle. I haven’t changed the position in three years. BTW- every part of them is replaceable through Woodcraft- very helpful if you crash 👍🏼-

I finished the last mod on my bike last year as well, although they are not anywhere near what you've done to your bike.  Mine has  3 (yes, 3) speed/power mods, and the remainder are for touring, but even still, it is freeing to be done messing with stuff.  It took a lot of time, money, and customizing effort to get windscreens, seats, etc. set up just right on the bike.  The only thing that should need to be done during the next five years are very simple stuff like replacing anti-freeze, oil, brake fluid, grease, etc.  When the bike is down, it's sort of mental baggage because those things are are near and dear to us.  We want them set up and running perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

I did the bars first. I just did a little research, and a lot people like them. I knew I hated the OEM bars. The Renthals were very different at first. I liked them after a couple track sessions. I love them now. I did the Woodcraft rearsets after I started dragging the OEM pegs. I chose Woodcraft because I’m very loyal to the brand- they only build quality parts that work! I initially went all the way up, and all the way back with the set-up. My legs cramped up in 15 minutes. I settled on somewhere in the middle. I haven’t changed the position in three years. BTW- every part of them is replaceable through Woodcraft- very helpful if you crash 👍🏼-

Hmm, the OEM bars were actually an upgrade for me. The previous owner put some wider bars on and I replaced with OEM after I slid and bent the wider ones. How does the Renthal bar affect your hand position compared to stock? Is it basically just lower? I had been thinking about going with the wood craft clip-on risers for the two different settings. Seeing as you're tracking a normal-style bar instead of the clip-ons makes me reconsider. The ~$70 for Renthals is much less of a commitment than ~$230 for the woodcraft kit, but I'd rather just spring for the woodcraft if those are going to be better in the long run (assuming I remain free of back issues).

I'm pretty sold on the woodcraft rear sets. I'm not running into clearance issues yet, but I do want my feet at more of an angle. Seems like it'll make me feel a lot more secure while accelerating versus the stock flat-footed feeling. 

I appreciate all the feedback!

Bike looks great and that is a nice mod list.  Big thumbs up all the way around.

I am also done modding my FZ.  I just bought a new 2019 GSX-R750, and that is where the mod money will be going from now on.  The FZ will be my commuter and errand bike primarily, I will be racking up a lot of miles on the GSX-R going forward.

I love my FZ and will not sell it, but I am done spending mod money on it.  It is a very liberating feeling knowing you are happy with a bike in it's current state and you don't have to budget mod money for it.  Just ride it and enjoy it for what it is.

The GSX-R will put the hurt on my bank account for a while, so I am not completely free yet.

• Like 1

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Liquidmetal said:

Bike looks great and that is a nice mod list.  Big thumbs up all the way around.

I am also done modding my FZ.  I just bought a new 2019 GSX-R750, and that is where the mod money will be going from now on.  The FZ will be my commuter and errand bike primarily, I will be racking up a lot of miles on the GSX-R going forward.

I love my FZ and will not sell it, but I am done spending mod money on it.  It is a very liberating feeling knowing you are happy with a bike in it's current state and you don't have to budget mod money for it.  Just ride it and enjoy it for what it is.

The GSX-R will put the hurt on my bank account for a while, so I am not completely free yet.

What are the plans for the GSX-R 750? Too soon? Sorry.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, SDSD-ride said:

Hmm, the OEM bars were actually an upgrade for me. The previous owner put some wider bars on and I replaced with OEM after I slid and bent the wider ones. How does the Renthal bar affect your hand position compared to stock? Is it basically just lower? I had been thinking about going with the wood craft clip-on risers for the two different settings. Seeing as you're tracking a normal-style bar instead of the clip-ons makes me reconsider. The ~$70 for Renthals is much less of a commitment than ~$230 for the woodcraft kit, but I'd rather just spring for the woodcraft if those are going to be better in the long run (assuming I remain free of back issues).

I'm pretty sold on the woodcraft rear sets. I'm not running into clearance issues yet, but I do want my feet at more of an angle. Seems like it'll make me feel a lot more secure while accelerating versus the stock flat-footed feeling. 

I appreciate all the feedback!

I considered the Woodcraft clip-on adapters as well.... I didn't go that route because the move the bars too far forward (for me). I'm only 5'-6", and didn't want to be leaned over that far. I'd be back into the same aggressive body position as I was on my RC390. The Renthal "ultra-low", are slightly wider, slightly shorter, and not as swept back as the OEM bars. If I ever crash, I'd get the same bars again. Hope that helps you out-

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Pheobieback.JPG

I like all the pictures of your bike, well turned out, sadly mine isn't as pristine as yours and probably never will be. I'll probably do a similar thing as you as I've not documented as you go with mine either. I just want to say this picture here is why I went with Akrapovic-Ti, where is it? Exactly. Ohh the Coors light I partake in from time to time to!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, fzar said:

I like all the pictures of your bike, well turned out, sadly mine isn't as pristine as yours and probably never will be. I'll probably do a similar thing as you as I've not documented as you go with mine either. I just want to say this picture here is why I went with Akrapovic-Ti, where is it? Exactly. Ohh the Coors light I partake in from time to time to!

Yeah, I didn't want to spent the money..... I justified it because if I go down on the right side, I'd have to replace the exhaust. If the Akrapovic Ti gets wrecked in a crash, I have MUCH bigger problems to worry about than replacing my exhaust at that point 🤣

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I can honestly say that I'm "done" modding my FZ-07.

Lets see how that plays out! I heard sharkskins are circling to see if you want the race bodywork they can smell race blood😁

And I heard YoYo-Dyne have a  lure in the water too looking to hook, track-riders. Just saying. LOL👍

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I I'm probably forgetting a few things as well?

I'm going to guess with all the other weight saving mods you're got an LiFePO battery in it as well? 

Damn nice looking bike that must run as good as it looks. 👍

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 1/25/2020 at 12:16 AM, DewMan said:

I'm going to guess with all the other weight saving mods you're got an LiFePO battery in it as well? 

Damn nice looking bike that must run as good as it looks. 👍

Actually, the lighter weight batteries don't do to well in northern climates...... I'd love to shave some weight, but not at the expense of risking battery failure. If I was racing, maybe? I looked at the reality that I'm a 50 year old guy, that enjoys lighting fuel on fire, and destroying tires- for no other reason than "It's fun" ....... 🤣

• Like 3