The MT-07 Forum

Fitting a EFI yamaha R1 tank to the MT07?

gregjet

OK.

First I have done a search on the forum and come up with nothing relevant.

I am fed up with the tiny tank on the 07. I was wondering if anyone has looked at putting an r1  or r6 tank on the 07. they are 18 and 17l resp. which is about OK. I suspect, but can't confirm yet, that the efi pump will be directly compatible or close enough to mod. Possible the lines may even clip straight in on the right model.

A tracer700 tank is an answer but I can get second hand R1 and R6 tanks much cheaper.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, gregjet said:

OK.

First I have done a search on the forum and come up with nothing relevant.

I am fed up with the tiny tank on the 07. I was wondering if anyone has looked at putting an r1  or r6 tank on the 07. they are 18 and 17l resp. which is about OK. I suspect, but can't confirm yet, that the efi pump will be directly compatible or close enough to mod. Possible the lines may even clip straight in on the right model.

A tracer700 tank is an answer but I can get second hand R1 and R6 tanks much cheaper.

You'd have to run without plastics if you change the tank also, unless you plan on fabricating something?

Also you'll need to consider the seat as well may not fit correctly.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I think your best bet would be to mod the original. We did twice adding 2 gallons on our first attempt then 1 the next go around. We split it at the weld seam and just added a filler piece for more height. That allowed us to use a modified tank cover for racing. 

The problem with the r6 and r1 tanks is they are orientated to the rear of the motors as their airboxes are over the motors, oposite of the fz07 orientation which sits atop the frame rails, not down between them. 

Here's a bad pic but you get the idea, 

IMG_20190907_135037.thumb.jpg.dfcad1e6f83bcf214e1077dc1ec598ed.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Dewman and Mossrider for the info.

First cover and seat not a problem. I can make something easy enough for a tank cove rad/or a seat. Made plenty for race bikes and street bikes.

Mossrider.  I am considering that as well. Problem is finding a GREAT welder to do the weld ( wayyyy out of my league). May try and get a second hand 07 one and find a boilermaker with the skills.  Cover is easy to make. It would mean less messing around with the fuel pump stuff, that's for sure.

What height did you use for the 2 and 1gal increase?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, gregjet said:

Thanks Dewman and Mossrider for the info.

First cover and seat not a problem. I can make something easy enough for a tank cove rad/or a seat. Made plenty for race bikes and street bikes.

Mossrider.  I am considering that as well. Problem is finding a GREAT welder to do the weld ( wayyyy out of my league). May try and get a second hand 07 one and find a boilermaker with the skills.  Cover is easy to make. It would mean less messing around with the fuel pump stuff, that's for sure.

What height did you use for the 2 and 1gal increase?

How far do you live from Extreme Creations outta the north Sydney area??

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Simplicity was our driving goal as well for using the stock tank. We had a buddies brother (pipe fitter) do the work. We paid him like a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch, it shows. It doesn't leak tho. Due to fitment, cleanup and finish work the approx 2" band nets about 1 1/4" extra volume. Somewhere around an extra gallon I suppose.

IMG_20200211_073309.thumb.jpg.f196458e5d712c633aa79e2a37460bb0.jpgIMG_20200211_073433.thumb.jpg.ecf01b5739a4e127c24518a8c15294fc.jpg easy and used tanks are $100ish on eBay.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Simplicity was our driving goal as well for using the stock tank. We had a buddies brother (pipe fitter) do the work. We paid him like a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch, it shows. It doesn't leak tho. Due to fitment, cleanup and finish work the approx 2" band nets about 1 1/4" extra volume. Somewhere around an extra gallon I suppose.

easy and used tanks are $100ish on eBay.

except that he's in the burning lands of australia ebay aussieland doesnt have much in the way of oem used parts from the searches ive just done
speaking of, you doin alright @gregjet?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Norcal, about 1000km from extreme creations...in Bundaberg

Sorkyah,

I am a short distance from the big fires in NSW and Victoria.  About 400km from the most northly of the bad stuff and about 800 north of the really apocolyptic stuff.

We did however dodge a bullet. The pine plantations , literally just down the road, started burning after our extended drought and all the bush and cane fields and avocado and macadamia fields were very crispy. I just gotr hold and we had a BIG downpour. It put all the fires out and wet everything enough to prevent a flareup. I don't think the locals realize just how lucky it was. The fuel load everywhere is horrendeous and if it is dry next year, we may not be so fortunate. They did some early burnoffs to reduce the load and it just made it worse . It wasn't real well done. I am from the dry tropics originally and it burns off EVERY year so there are stuff all trees close together and no understory. Here there is masses of dead small and med sized stuff between the trees and when it does go... Luckily the majority of land has smallish ( 3-7meters) trees so we won't have the "visions of Hell" the southerners get.

Thanks for asking.

I have a few friends in the horror zone but none lost anything, thankfully.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, mossrider said:

IMG_20200211_073309.thumb.jpg.f196458e5d712c633aa79e2a37460bb0.jpgIMG_20200211_073433.thumb.jpg.ecf01b5739a4e127c24518a8c15294fc.jpg easy and used tanks are $100ish on eBay.

11 hours ago, mossrider said:

We paid him like a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch, it shows.

Christ it does. As long as it did what it was supposed to do! But, man thats some rough penetration.........