The MT-07 Forum

Top speed in each gear

Johnfrancisjfk

Johnfrancisjfk

Hi, newbie here, just bought an mt07 2 weeks ago, I’m curious if a previous owner has fitted a smaller sprocket as the top speed in 2nd gear is 70mph, top speed in 3rd is 90mph, that seems a little fast? Also, I’ve never been close to doing a wheelie, makes me wonder if it was altered to make it less aggressive through the gears?

cheers

• Global Moderator

@Johnfrancisjfk, according to this website you seem about 10 mph fast. 

I sometimes accidently lift my front wheel accelerating too hard in first and second gears.  I have stock sprockets and exhaust. 

Johnfrancisjfk

Ye I seen the speed range you mention, that’s why I’m wondering, it seems to be geared differently, I have opened the throttle up going through gears but The front wheel stayed firmly planted

59 minutes ago, Johnfrancisjfk said:

Hi, newbie here, just bought an mt07 2 weeks ago, I’m curious if a previous owner has fitted a smaller sprocket as the top speed in 2nd gear is 70mph, top speed in 3rd is 90mph, that seems a little fast? Also, I’ve never been close to doing a wheelie, makes me wonder if it was altered to make it less aggressive through the gears?

cheers

Just count the teeth. Stock is 43 I believe

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, geophb said:

Just count the teeth. Stock is 43 I believe

You are correct. Stock sprockets are 16 tooth front  and 43 tooth in the rear

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

While it is likely just a gearing thing if you have a phone mount you can load up a GPS app to see if the speedo is even correct. For what it's worth my speedo matches almost perfectly to what GPS says.

I don't recall off the top of my head but watching some of my old gopro footage in particular I only slightly short shifted 3rd at 70mph so 90 seems really high.

Edited by sp3ak

With a 17t front sprocket I hit 100 before the rev limiter started bouncing. Didn't mean to, just happened quicker than expected. 

With stock gearing (16t front) I see 60+mph daily in 2nd gear, without pushing hard. The gearing commander charts seem conservative to me, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by shinyribs

4 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@Johnfrancisjfk, according to this website you seem about 10 mph fast. 

I sometimes accidently lift my front wheel accelerating too hard in first and second gears.  I have stock sprockets and exhaust. 

Fun, isn't it?  I love it!  

Bigturbomax

So, i just did a very scientific test on my way home from work. I did NOT hit the limiter but i ran through 1st quickly and then through 2nd and 3rd gears to the redline.....at WOT.....for, ya know, science. I saw 60mph at 10k in 2nd and 80mph at 10k in 3rd. Stock 16/43 gearing. It did lift the front wheel prolly 'bout an inch no-clutch shifting into 3rd. The front wheel remained floaty until the shift into 4th. I had a 20 mile ride home and repeated this test several more times for purely scientific reasons of course. I don't know if this helps you but it sure made my day!

Edited by Bigturbomax
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bigturbomax said:

So, i just did a very scientific test on my way home from work. I did NOT hit the limiter but i ran through 1st quickly and then through 2nd and 3rd gears to the redline.....at WOT.....for, ya know, science. I saw 60mph at 10k in 2nd and 80mph at 10k in 3rd. Stock 16/43 gearing. It did lift the front wheel prolly 'bout an inch no-clutch shifting into 3rd. The front wheel remained floaty until the shift into 4th. I had a 20 mile ride home and repeated this test several more times for purely scientific reasons of course. I don't know if this helps you but it sure made my day!

Love a good, thurough empirical experiment. Thanks for all your research.

Professor BTM, the scientist.

😅

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

It's the people who put in the time and effort to do such experiments makes the difference for us all. Obviously redundant work, with zero advantages to oneself, Arrggh putting in the time on the grinder all in the name of science. Relativity comes to mind!!!

• Haha 1