The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 Basic Suspension Upgrade

Beemer

• Premium Member

HaHa, I saw this today. He probably got called out on all the negative feedback across social-media platforms and said anyone got a FZ-MT-07?  While he was touring New Zealand, Let's do it and put it to bed.  Pity the guy he did it for didn't read his owners manual or look to see its a KYB unit. That would of cleared up the "Did Yamaha build it, but they Okayed it" comments. Unfortunately they guy he did it for also had never had the front off before either, but DM was only there to prove a point. 

Interesting none the less.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, fzar said:

HaHa, I saw this today. He probably got called out on all the negative feedback across social-media platforms and said anyone got a FZ-MT-07?  While he was touring New Zealand, Let's do it and put it to bed.  Pity the guy he did it for didn't read his owners manual or look to see its a KYB unit. That would of cleared up the "Did Yamaha build it, but they Okayed it" comments. Unfortunately they guy he did it for also had never had the front off before either, but DM was only there to prove a point. 

Interesting none the less.

I guess all you and I really needed was shorter spacers and new oil 😜

• Haha 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I guess all you and I really needed was shorter spacers and new oil 😜

I'd have to say ,I doubt it would come close to our cartridges😉 But I'm sure it worked for his commuting.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, fzar said:

I'd have to say ,I doubt it would come close to our cartridges😉 But I'm sure it worked for his commuting.

We're justified, we "needed" our cartridges. 🤑 I'm sure that Moss's suggestions will make a big improvement on most FZ's.

I'm dying here wondering when I'll get my FZ (with Ohlins Cartridges) back on the track.

I don't think the virus can survive anything over 100 MPH  😝

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

What I don't get, is .... why didn't he tell him to get new tires? Ifixed your suspension, I called you out on dirty calipers, i see you have a mad ridge on your front tire..... Dude... I know he did it for free, at least get new f@#king tyres??? No. 

• Like 2

The rider is a bigger guy that now has less spring preload but thicker oil. The springs need to be stiffer.

Then he runs the fork tubes higher in the clamps.

This on a bike that already steers quickly, (twitchy, unstable?) 

I do agree with tuning the oil level for increasing max compression  presure.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I also did this mod after a LOT of research. I just felt like the front was way too much like a pogo stick over bumpy roads... and in New England, that's most of them.

I went with 10mm off the spacer using a pipe cutter and deburred them before I put them back in. I used 15W maxima oil and I honestly feel like I could still go a bit heavier for further improvement. I did NOT slide the fork tubes up in the clamps because I did not want to change the geometry at all. 

**I did do that with my FZ1 - to great effect - as  well as some fine tuning with the oil weights in each fork tube since it had rebound one side and compression on the other.)**

This was honestly a huge improvement in making the front more compliant for me. I am 6 ft and 185 geared up and it really helped the front feel more stable over rough roads for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I also did the mod and used the 20 wt oil as suggested. It has been a huge improvement, best money ever spent on the bike. I also raised the tubes 3/8", and everything makes this a much better bike to ride. How you can spend $50 and get this kind of handling is just amazing. Now I need him to work on the rear shock!!

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, Terry_b said:

I went with 10mm off the spacer using a pipe cutter and deburred them before I put them back in. I used 15W maxima oil and I honestly feel like I could still go a bit heavier for further improvement. I did NOT slide the fork tubes up in the clamps because I did not want to change the geometry at all.

So I actually went back and slid the fork tubes up by about 5 mm. I kept feeling like I had to fight the bike too hard to lean into turns, and I just wasn't happy with how it felt while turning. 

After the 5mm change, it's so much better! Feels like I drop into turns easier and it's way easier to hold a line in a long curve.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
19 hours ago, Terry_b said:

feeling like I had to fight the bike too hard to lean into turns

These bikes are fantastic, but you got to go big (like Ohlins all around) and some killer profile rubber (Q3+ will do it) to make the real magic

M. Hausknecht

Motorcycle suspension is like pizza. Yeah, weird but bare with me, I'll explain. 

I live in a beach resort area in southeastern North Carolina. Visitors ask regularly where to get the best pizza and the places suggested by the "locals" serve, in my opinion, some of the worst pizza I've ever had.  "My opinion" is based on pizza I've eaten in New York City, Chicago, assorted cities small and medium sized throughout the eastern US, and in several cities and towns in Italy. The "locals" around here may only have eaten pizza around here. The gist of my point about pizza is that the best you've ever had, is your "best", and it is only natural because you have nothing else to compare it to. 

Motorcycle suspension is the same thing. If you've only experienced and become accustomed to under or over sprung, and under damped forks and shocks, even a slight improvement in either will seem amazingly good to you. I experienced this myself recently.

My 07 has: Ohlins cartridges in the forks and springs and oil proper for my weight and riding style; a kTech DDS Pro shock with proper spring; Robem adjustable triple clamps that generate suitable trail; and  Robem  shock linkage that generates suitable linearity and swingarm angle. In short, its got very good suspension that is well adjusted at this point. I was very pleased with it.

Then I got my Kramer. Top of the line, fully adjustable WP forks and shock with suitable spring rates, a rigid frame with  adjustable trail, head angle, and swing arm angle, and rigid, light weight forged aluminum wheels. Whoa! The improvement in feel, my ability to feel what the tires are doing while braking, cornering and accelerating, over my 07 is to me remarkable. My 07 is numb by comparison (using the same tires). I figure the 07 is just too flexible to provide the same measure of feedback.

Unless you're racing and battling for tenths of a second, suspension that you're comfortable with and pleased with is all you need. It might be more or less than someone else needs, but if you're happy with it and it does what you think it should, isn't that enough? Sorta like my neighbors thinking "Papa Johns" is great pizza.  

• Like 2

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Sorta like my neighbors thinking "Papa Johns" is great pizza.  

Have you had the pizza at the Tapoco Lodge, down the hill from Deals Gap?

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Triple Jim said:

Have you had the pizza at the Tapoco Lodge, down the hill from Deals Gap?

No, I haven't. I've never been to Deal's Gap; about 450 miles from me and my street bike is seriously neglected. Should I make the trip some day, I'll be sure to order the pizza. 😋

No, I haven't. I've never been to Deal's Gap; about 450 miles from me and my street bike is seriously neglected. Should I make the trip some day, I'll be sure to order the pizza. 😋

It's 370 miles for me, but I've been going to the 2-stroke meet every spring for 13 years now.  That whole area is very motorcycle-friendly, and there's some of the best riding in the country there.  Yes, when you go, try that pizza.  They have a real pizza oven and a chef who knows how to use it! 

The restaurant (sorry for the hijack):

image.png.4c507af6eddd0e76ba8b33a883e17021.png

M. Hausknecht

It's 370 miles for me, but I've been going to the 2-stroke meet every spring for 13 years now.  That whole area is very motorcycle-friendly, and there's some of the best riding in the country there.  Yes, when you go, try that pizza.  They have a real pizza oven and a chef who knows how to use it! 

The restaurant (sorry for the hijack):

image.png.4c507af6eddd0e76ba8b33a883e17021.png

Thanks for the suggestion @Triple Jim, that isn't too far. I'm leaving for Pitt Race on Friday for a track day (never ridden there before), flagging for the California Superbike School (includes free on-track sessions), and then the N2/WERA weekend. Kind of a shame I'm not staying for the MA weekend following.

I'm leaving for Pitt Race on Friday...

Have fun!

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

...if you're happy with it and it does what you think it should, isn't that enough?

Yeah, yes it is. Suspension & oil & tires & ts threads, and... . I need to butt out

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Pursuvant said:

Yeah, yes it is. Suspension & oil & tires & ts threads, and... . I need to butt out

Yeah, I suppose you're right but I've personally observed bigger differences with suspension and geometry than a bunch of other things. No need to butt out; I'm just flapping my gums.😉

• Global Moderator

I'm sorta starting to notice I've got that old fart disease where i popp off like corn. No kidding @M. Hausknecht, I'm laughing at myself because yes. I loved every bike I owned, that includes the kaw H1 500 chain saw (my first legal street ride) - I envy @Triple Jimbecause he stills owns and rides an H3 ! You think that H1 vs FZ , not in any universe would you even compare.

They are bikes, there all the best - ride like wind @Terry_b nothing to do but rip through the universe 

Just now, Pursuvant said:

I envy @Triple Jimbecause he stills owns and rides an H3 !

Your finger slipped, but that's OK... it's an H2 of course.   :)

Since I almost never sell or get rid of anything, I have almost everything I've ever purchased.  In the case of my H2, I'm glad I still have it.

M. Hausknecht

I have a good friend still roadracing an H2. He isn't fast (too big and old) but the bike runs well for as old as it is. And is sounds great. He has braced the frame very substantially, and put decent forks, brakes, and swing arm on it, so it doesn't flex quite as much as when it left Kawasaki in 1972.

M. Hausknecht

What's his name?  There aren't an awful lot of guys left who race H2s!

Tommy D (D'Ettorre). He lives in Rochester NY, where I lived previously for the better part of 40 years. He used to be WERA's east coast race school guy.