The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Ti rattle when letting go of throttle?

goshe22

Sorry for the bad description but lately I've noticed a rattle/noise like a bolt is loose when revving the bike sitting in neutral. Rev to 3K and once I let go of the throttle it sounds like something at the exhaust shakes when the RPMs go back down. I thought it was maybe the license plate not being tightened down at first because that's the type of noise it made but the plate was tight. I checked the other bolts around the exhaust and everything seems to be tightened down. 

Anyone notice or run into this before?

If its in the exhaust and is an exhaust rattle you can duplicate the RPM resonance by lightly tapping on the exhaust in different locations with a rubber mallet. This will help duplicate the rattle and help pinpoint if its in the exhaust. Make sure its also not an exhaust leak. If its not in the exhaust id check everything possible. You need to be able to duplicate it the best you can to narrow it down while off the bike, if its a rattle and can easily be heard it shouldn't be that hard to trace the source. I've had bikes make weird rattles from very weird places. Best thing to do is to get it narrowed down for more info.

• Like 1

I have an Akropovic  Ti on my bike too and I have noticed the exact same symptoms.  Give it a good sharp rev and there is a rattle when I let go of the throttle.  I did as suggested and tapped the exhaust with the bike turned off and did notice the rattle, but it is kind of hard to pin point. The exhaust itself seems firmly mounted, no loose screws. I'm going to remove the baffle later this week to see if it is causing the rattle. I've taken out the baffle before but didn't think to check for the rattle because I was so distracted by how damn loud the bike was with the baffle removed. I put some holes in the baffle and reinstalled it and there is a better sound.  The rattle is annoying but I've learned to just ignore it.  If I get the baffle out this week, I'll let you know if it is the cause.

• Like 1

You got the euro3 or euro4? I also have the euro 3 and that happens if you have the dbkiller on probably because of the moving gases causing vibration on the dbkiller if i remove the dbkiller there is no rattle at all. Just crazy thunderous sound 😁🏍😈

• Like 1

I think I have to agree with Ioaoduarte. I took off the baffle and the rattle seemed to go away. As a side note, I came to the conclusion that the Akropovic Ti gets really muffled with the baffle. I put 1/2 inch holes in the outer wall of the baffle and now it seems to sound pretty good in terms of loudness. Here is a video of my experiment. 

Note the rattle sound after letting go of the throttle when the baffle is in.  This happened even though I secured the baffle with the set screw as demonstrated at the end if the video.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just a note from another Akra Ti with baffle owner:

I've not heard any rattling in mine even after two years of ownership. I don't know why some are rattling but wanted to let people know not every Ti shows this issue. ✌️

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, rich01760 said:

I think I have to agree with Ioaoduarte. I took off the baffle and the rattle seemed to go away. As a side note, I came to the conclusion that the Akropovic Ti gets really muffled with the baffle. I put 1/2 inch holes in the outer wall of the baffle and now it seems to sound pretty good in terms of loudness. Here is a video of my experiment. 

Note the rattle sound after letting go of the throttle when the baffle is in.  This happened even though I secured the baffle with the set screw as demonstrated at the end if the video.

Thanks Rich! That's exactly the noise I hear and I do in fact have the Euro 3 like you and Joaoduarte so it makes sense. I was hearing the noise before doing anything with the baffle so it's comforting to hear you had the same result with the securing hex screw both in and out. I'll be switching the baffle out for the MT09 version next week and see if it makes any difference. Something else to note from your video: the exhaust sounds so so good with the baffle removed!

Good people yes ir rounds thunderous when we crack the throtle but for cruising a long distance i think its too much. But its not that hard to remove and put it Back.

My Akra Carbon fiber does the same thing. Since it didn't seem to be affecting performance I ignore it and thank the lord it doesn't vibrate, shake and rattle like an H.D. Image how new owners of those bikes must feel. 😆

Beemer