The MT-07 Forum

Battery Issue

Css58

First, I'd like to thank everyone for whatever support and information they can give me. I have learned a lot about my bike since I joined the forum thanks to you all. I recently ran into a battery issue and need some help. Thanks again all.

I have a 2017 Yamaha FZ 07 that I have owned for two years. Only one previous owner and I believe the bike still has the original battery. I have not replaced the battery since I owned it. I live in New York City and store the bike outside under a durable all weather cover. When I went to go for a ride over the weekend, the battery was dead. This is the first time I have had a battery issue with this bike and I have always kept it outside. I was very surprised to have a dead battery because I rode less than a month ago and the bike started right up after sitting for a couple of months through the winter. At times I have gone several months without riding and the bike always started up like a champ, so I was super surprised when it didn't start, like I said I rode it less than a month ago. I figured it was because the weather got warmer it killed the battery. So I brought it inside and threw it on the trickle charger (I don't keep it on the charger, even through the winter). It seemed to charge real quick. I put it back in the bike yesterday and went for a ride. All was good. I tried to go for a ride today and the battery was dead again. I confirmed that I didn't leave the ignition on and I haven't made any modifications to the bike since last year. I understand you typically should keep the battery on a trickle charger because it will deteriorate the health of the battery. But would the health of the battery go bad overnight? I am worried there is some sort of short in the system. How can I check the health of the system or the health of the battery? Is there anything else that I could do? I would prefer not to by a new battery before testing things out first.

To me though it sounds like its just a bad battery, the stock OEMs aren't the greatest batteries in the world. Leaving a battery sit a a couple months at a time without use does in fact deteriorate the health of the battery. A short is unlikely, especially after having the bike start and run THE MOMENT you reinstalled it after being charged. I honestly wouldn't think too much into it other than preparing for purchasing a new battery. If you have a multimeter you can easily tell if the battery is shot or not. Charge it for a while until its got a good charge capacity, north of 12.5v. Leave the battery out of the bike for a day in not freezing temps and recheck your voltage. If its anything less than 12v its a junk battery. If the battery is still ok after sitting for a day and WILL start the bike it may be some form of parasitic draw coming from the bike itself draining the battery.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. My body also said to clean up the terminals on the battery and bike. He had a similar issue on his bike a while back. He said he cleaned it up and never had the problem again. 

FZ07R WaNaB
5 hours ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

the stock OEMs aren't the greatest batteries in the world

I have no complaints as I'm still running my OEM battery on my 2016 FZ-07 which I bought in October 2015. Every winter there are typically two periods where I don't ride my bike for 4-6 weeks with the bike being stored in a non-climate controlled shed. To make the story better, my OEM battery has never seen a battery tender. Funny thing is that I have a battery tender but I have been just too lazy to hook it up. Now that it's over 4 years, I'm more curious how long I can go without doing anything to my battery. Truthfully at this point, I get amazed when it kicks over when I haven't run it in a couple of weeks.

Is it a Yuasa or Eveready.... now there's a thought, a Japanese Eveready bunny 😁

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB

• Premium Member
cornerslider
3 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I have no complaints as I'm still running my OEM battery on my 2016 FZ-07 which I bought in October 2015. Every winter there are typically two periods where I don't ride my bike for 4-6 weeks with the bike being stored in a non-climate controlled shed. To make the story better, my OEM battery has never seen a battery tender. Funny thing is that I have a battery tender but I have been just too lazy to hook it up. Now that it's over 4 years, I'm more curious how long I can go without doing anything to my battery. Truthfully at this point, I get amazed when it kicks over when I haven't run it in a couple of weeks.

Is it a Yuasa or Eveready.... now there's a thought, a Japanese Eveready bunny 😁

I had an OEM Yuasa battery in my 2005 Honda VTX1800F (that I bought new in 2006). That battery lasted me until 2015 (nine seasons)..... I live in Minnesota, and stored it in a non-climate controlled garage for 4-5 months on a battery-tender.... My battery NEVER "failed" me, but was just cranking slower than normal. I figured after nine-seasons, that battery didn't't owe me much... Yuasa is the only battery I'll ever buy as a replacement-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

12 hours ago, Css58 said:

I don't keep it on the charger, even through the winter

I understand you typically should keep the battery on a trickle charger because it will deteriorate the health of the battery. But would the health of the battery go bad overnight? 

I believe if you were to ask this to 10 motorcycle techs, at least 9 would say the above is the reason for your trouble.

Yes, indeed, I've heard many riders over the years claim their old battery suddenly quit, most likely for similar reasons.

Edited by YZEtc

I consider a poor battery puts you in a real dead loss situation.  Bike not starting is nearly as  bad as having no bike. I have always replaced mine at the first sign of trouble.  It is an easy cure. I would recommend bringing your battery indoors for trickle/tender charge when you are likely to have a break in riding. Then it should last  as long as mine - 6yrs so far. As said, a rogue draw on your battery is very unlikely, imo.  

Just do it! 

Check voltage at battery to confirm its dead and that its not a terminal contact issue.  Charge it up fully, check for current draw with key off. If none, replace battery.

Like any powersport battery, motorcycle batterys are tiny and dont last long. 3-4 years is about it. Trying to go further isn't worth it, $100 gets a good battery. 

Tip for any powersport or car lead acid battery: You need to charge your new battery! I know its new, just do it. 

I have a 2017 that I bought new. With 1500 miles the battery died. I came to find out it was because I had turned the Key all the way to the Left which keeps the circuit on. My turn signals caused the battery to die. I bought a new battery and make sure when I turn the bike off I DON'T turn the key all the way to the left.