The MT-07 Forum

Bent something?

collinjet

Hello!

I bought my 16 FZ used a few months back and recently I noticed that the handlebars looked off. Today, I removed the bars and they appeared to not be bent. I also realigned the front forks because they seemed to be a little bit off as well. Now when I got done with everything it seems to be pretty apparent that it is the bar clamp/riser that's bent? What does it look like to you guys? Is it possible that the riser itself is bent? Or can it be easily fixed by readjusting the bolts?

Let me know what ya think! Thanks guys:)

20200411_005104.jpg

That looks dead nuts on. Put it back together and ride it. Don't let that assymetric top clamp put your shorts in a bind. 

The only thing that's 'off' is the nut holding the bars. 😉

• Like 2

Don't let your nuts control you ... you control your nuts. 😄 

Seriously, though, if it feels ok it most likely is and you know that it's tight and not going anywhere so just do as @mossrider said and ride it.

Beemer

• Premium Member
cornerslider

That would drive me nuts!!! What it looks like from the pics is that one of the bar clamps shifted in the top of the triple. The clamps are rubber mounted to cut down the vibration felt in the bars. Maybe check if one of them came loose, or they aren't tighten the same? good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

If you know which way to adjust it: Get someone to sit on the bike to hold it upright. You stand over the front wheel holding it tight. Give the bars a knock. There is some give and that should sort it. Happened to mine.

Just do it! 

It rides pretty good. Took off the clamp and it doesn't sit flat on a level surface so somehow that got bent. I plan on replacing it eventually but its not a priority at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations for a new one? OEM or another manufacturer? 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, collinjet said:

It rides pretty good. Took off the clamp and it doesn't sit flat on a level surface so somehow that got bent. I plan on replacing it eventually but its not a priority at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations for a new one? OEM or another manufacturer? 

Bar clamps are bar clamps. Unless you want to change the height or pull back of the bars I'd just stick with OEMs.

But that's just my suggestion. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'm thinking one of the bar risers is bent.  Don't know if they have a stud out the bottom or what, but in the picture the left looks lower than the right.  If the bars are crooked when riding, it has to be the riser.  If it's a stud you may be able to bend the stud back straight.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the clamps and flat and bent or alignment but you'd be the first guy in the history of motorcycling to have bent any of Yamaha's steering parts made from the finest rerecycled Frigidaire emblems recovered from landfills world wide. 

Everything still looks squared away to me but I've been called a "little off" before.

Studio_20200411_194059_resized.thumb.jpg.af7ca6f15ac34ab2e006b3fc0fa66865.jpg 

How are you measuring for flat with this? If one of those studs is bent a tiny bit leave it or you'll weaken or snap it off for sure. 

IMG_20200411_194531.thumb.jpg.427b09f4f7055bd3700738c8e25425e1.jpg

They are rubber mounted into this assymetric piece (tell me you/someone didn't bend this)

IMG_20200411_194515.thumb.jpg.9cc04fc8d91e42e716f0c79723576724.jpg!

IMG_20200411_194454.thumb.jpg.75c3bc65aec574dc2d50e8c5f73b2518.jpg

Ayway I think ur all knackered but I'll send you any part you can show me is bent or unusable for the cost of shipping.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the clamps and flat and bent or alignment but you'd be the first guy in the history of motorcycling to have bent any of Yamaha's steering parts made from the finest rerecycled Frigidaire emblems recovered from landfills world wide. 

Everything still looks squared away to me but I've been called a "little off" before.

Studio_20200411_194059_resized.thumb.jpg.af7ca6f15ac34ab2e006b3fc0fa66865.jpg 

How are you measuring for flat with this? If one of those studs is bent a tiny bit leave it or you'll weaken or snap it off for sure. 

IMG_20200411_194531.thumb.jpg.427b09f4f7055bd3700738c8e25425e1.jpg

They are rubber mounted into this assymetric piece (tell me you/someone didn't bend this)

IMG_20200411_194515.thumb.jpg.9cc04fc8d91e42e716f0c79723576724.jpg!

IMG_20200411_194454.thumb.jpg.75c3bc65aec574dc2d50e8c5f73b2518.jpg

Ayway I think ur all knackered but I'll send you any part you can show me is bent or unusable for the cost of shipping.

Im referring to the part that actually holds the bars (The second picture in the sequence of 4 pics). I took them completely off the bike and placed the bar holder on a flat/level surface. It had some decent rock to it and one end was off the table an 1/8 inch. Ideally I want to get a new riser and set of bars to change up the front end a bit. I have been decommissioned by COVID as I'm in college and serve at a restaurant that has been closed for over a month already. I would gladly pay to ship that part if you wanted to send it my! I can take the part off within a couple days again to show you that it is tweaked a bit.

Have a good one man!

Just now, collinjet said:

Have a good one man!

Send me your particulars in a P.M. and I'll ship it out.

• Like 4

FWIW I was looking at the bars to the fork tubes, seems one side looks a bit off.   Riding will tell if something isn't straight.  

Sometimes there are cases of self fulfilling prophesy too, could be that.

Two years ago some bonehead backed into my FZ and pushed it about 5 feet. In doing that they bent the riser. I put it in a vise and bent it back. No biggie. As Moss points out, it's pretty soft stuff so it doesn't take much of a push.