The MT-07 Forum

Stock mirror tightening

mtyamyam

Hi all, ive been searching the forum but couldn't find a topic that gave me the right answer, so sorry if this has been asked before. my left hand mirror has started to fold in on itself when I reach a certain speed, its due to me always folding it in when putting it away in the garage. I have tried tightening the 10mm nut inside but I don't have a hex socket that's skinny enough to fit in there, any idea what I need or is it a specific socket I need? TIA...... oh its a 2019 model if that makes any difference.

IMG_0447.jpeg

FNGFZ07Rider

I’m pretty sure it’s the same mirrors on the 15-17 models.   With that said I’ve never had to remove the plastic top off like that.  I’ve only needed to tighten the base with a combination wrench then screw the whole top portion by hand.

• Like 1

You have to tighten the lower nut with a 17mm wrench while the mirror is in position. 

IMG_20200328_152256.thumb.jpg.ac51bea77aa88f6023da3bdb25df83a7.jpg

• Like 2

@FNGFZ07Rider & @ElGonzales thanks, that seems to have worked but it feels like im having to put far too much pressure on it when im tightening it this way. I have fiddled with it enough for now and I think it should hold for a while. 

I had the same exact problem you're having. That 17mm nut isnt gonna solve your problems, thats where the mirror mounts to the bar clamp and doesnt do much in adjusting the actual tension the holds onto the pivot portion of the mirror assembly. The mirrors are supposed to swivel indefinitely, something I'm not a fan of. I also had the issue of not being able to find ANTYHING to get down into the top of the swivel portion and tighten down that 10mm.

Here's a thread I came across when I first found the issue. I just put some elctrical tape around the mounting nut and up to the swivel portion, it holds it fairly well, doesnt collapse in under high speeds. Ill probably end up getting mirrors.

Are you using chrome sockets or impact sockets? Chromes are usually thinner walled.  Also, a 1/4 drive 10mm may be thinner than a 3/8 drive.

If you need to you could buy a cheap spare socket and grind it down accordingly to fit in there. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, iSmkGrnBud said:

I had the same exact problem you're having. That 17mm nut isnt gonna solve your problems, thats where the mirror mounts to the bar clamp and doesnt do much in adjusting the actual tension the holds onto the pivot portion of the mirror assembly. The mirrors are supposed to swivel indefinitely, something I'm not a fan of. I also had the issue of not being able to find ANTYHING to get down into the top of the swivel portion and tighten down that 10mm.

Here's a thread I came across when I first found the issue. I just put some elctrical tape around the mounting nut and up to the swivel portion, it holds it fairly well, doesnt collapse in under high speeds. Ill probably end up getting mirrors.

Thanks, I have had it tightened at a garage I was passing by before now and it took the mechanic a while to find a socket to fit but he did find one that fit. So they do exist and it definitely helped and didn't move for a couple of months of riding. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, geophb said:

Are you using chrome sockets or impact sockets? Chromes are usually thinner walled.  Also, a 1/4 drive 10mm may be thinner than a 3/8 drive.

If you need to you could buy a cheap spare socket and grind it down accordingly to fit in there. 

Chrome, all my impact ones are all for bigger type nuts. There is definitely such thing as a socket that is thin enough to fit in there as I've had it tightened before. I was just hoping if someone knew a specific socket type. 

15 minutes ago, mtyamyam said:

Chrome, all my impact ones are all for bigger type nuts. There is definitely such thing as a socket that is thin enough to fit in there as I've had it tightened before. I was just hoping if someone knew a specific socket type. 

Yea its wild the clearance needed to get onto that nut. I agree with geophb, buy a cheap 10mm chrome and grind it down thin. Ill probably try this as well when I get the chance. Tool truck comes tomorrow, maybe ill see if theres any one off odd sockets he has thatll work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

Yea its wild the clearance needed to get onto that nut. I agree with geophb, buy a cheap 10mm chrome and grind it down thin. Ill probably try this as well when I get the chance. Tool truck comes tomorrow, maybe ill see if theres any one off odd sockets he has thatll work.

Thanks, give us a shout if you find one 

What about locking two nuts against each other on the opposite side (aka counter-nut?) and then tighten the bolt by turning these nuts ?

Like this:

150px-Counter_nut.jpg by Wikipedia

• 4 months later...

Normal 10mm socket won't fit, so I bought a cheap 10mm socket, hand-filed it all round (5 min job), and now it fits thru from the top nicely.

20200830_180050-02.jpeg

• Like 1

I got fed up with this issue. I brought it to the dealer and said" Hey this is a yamaha issue. Please fix it. The service guy took the bike into the shop and 15 minutes later it was done. That was 2 months ago. No problems since than and no charge. He told me he had to take the entire mirror off and tighten in from the bottom.