The MT-07 Forum

Which Phone-Mount/holder for 2018/19 MT-07?

Flavor88

Hi There!

I just got my MT-07 2018 (New model), it was initially bought in 2019 and only got 3000km/1864miles on it.

(Im gonna upload pictures soon)

I need your help, I have a Apple iPhone Xs Max (6,5 inch screen). What mount do you guys prefer? The rearview mirror screw hole will be available because in about to install bar-end mirrors soon. I have seen installations above the display as well. I live in Sweden and can order from US.

Please share a link or your experiences 

topazsparrow

You're not going to like the answer, but that phone has "Optical Image stabilization".

Unless you can almost fully isolate the vibrations from the bike, you'll very likely fry the camera in short order.

OIS uses tiny servo motors / springs to adjust focus and stabilize the image. It used to be mostly only on flagship phones, but now it's much much more common. Those little motors lose their calibration or get damaged by the high frequency vibrations that come through the handlebars.

There's only one brand I can honestly recommend and it's not cheap. It's derived from Drove stabilization "technology". I say that in quotes because its pretty simple in design, but whatever.

bk_240x240.jpg?v=1549601652

A must-have for thumpers. Single-cylinder bikes like to vibrate. And that vibration can kill the image-stabilization...

After frying two phones (under warranty thankfully), due to this, he broke down and bough this. Worked great so far for him.

I have yet to find another phone mount that specifically isolates the vibrations from the bike. Some phones are more sensitive than others to it, so your mileage may vary and a cheapo mount might be perfectly okay... for a while at least.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I stopped mounting my phone for this reason. Just throw it in the tank bag. I went old school and bought a Butler map of new England that I keep in the map pouch.

Josh2019mt07
On 4/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, topazsparrow said:

You're not going to like the answer, but that phone has "Optical Image stabilization".

Unless you can almost fully isolate the vibrations from the bike, you'll very likely fry the camera in short order.

OIS uses tiny servo motors / springs to adjust focus and stabilize the image. It used to be mostly only on flagship phones, but now it's much much more common. Those little motors lose their calibration or get damaged by the high frequency vibrations that come through the handlebars.

There's only one brand I can honestly recommend and it's not cheap. It's derived from Drove stabilization "technology". I say that in quotes because its pretty simple in design, but whatever.

bk_240x240.jpg?v=1549601652

A must-have for thumpers. Single-cylinder bikes like to vibrate. And that vibration can kill the image-stabilization...

After frying two phones (under warranty thankfully), due to this, he broke down and bough this. Worked great so far for him.

I have yet to find another phone mount that specifically isolates the vibrations from the bike. Some phones are more sensitive than others to it, so your mileage may vary and a cheapo mount might be perfectly okay... for a while at least.

Thank you for sharing this, ive been wanting a phone mount for my bike for quite some time butluckily hadnt purchased yet.  didnt even know of this issue. More awareness should be put to this topic