The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 vs. CB500F

todd79

Hi. I'm trying to decide between buying a 2019 MT-07 or 2019 Honda CB500F ABS, and I'm struggling a bit with the decision. I'm not new to motorcycling, but I haven't been on a sportbike or standard in almost twenty years. Recently I owned a Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic cruiser, a beautiful bike but too heavy and especially too hot on summer days for me to fully enjoy it, and more powerful than I needed. I'm on the shorter side, around 5'6" or 5'7" with a 29" inseam and weighing ~160lbs, and it is important for me to get a bike that really fits my frame.

I sat on both bikes, and it felt like the CB500F fit me better, while I was reaching and leaning a bit more on the MT-07. Both bikes are, amazingly, available new around me for the same price, due to big discounts on leftover MT-07s at a local dealership. Even though the Honda fits me better, I just keep thinking the MT-07 is a better bike, and I'll get used to the size in the longer run. Besides that, I'm concerned that maybe the CB500F won't have enough power. I don't like riding on interstates and try to avoid it, but I live in a rural area where 65 mph (~105kph) is pretty much the norm on rural roads. Perhaps the Honda will vibrate too much at this speed, but I don't want to get a bike (like my old Kawi Vulcan) where the size is never quite right for me.

Based on your experience, which bike would you recommend?  What else should I consider in my decision? I appreciate any helpful advice that those experienced with these bikes can offer.

Edited by todd79

The CB500F really is a cherry MC and plenty quick.  The CB500F is very comfortable as well; a Honda thing for sure.  The MT/FZ-07 will likely need aftermarket seating to stay in the saddle for any real length of time.  You may want to extend the handle bars a tad as well; I did.  Your lower back will never get tired, and our neck won't get a crick in it either from being too far forward.  Yamaha put it in just the right spot for most people, and the inch and a half handle bar extension sets the angle at about 8 degrees.

Here's why I would choose the FZ-07 again:  Fun-factor.  It beats my other 5 bikes hands down.  It's stable, nimble, quick, and very easy to handle.  Many of the more experienced riders are exchanging their other bikes of every style for a smaller bike and some for the FZ/MT-07; they recognize the fun factor of a light weight, nimble bike.  I've converted mine for touring.  A lot of guys convert theirs to RR. 

But for you; you've already answered your own question:  You said:  "The Honda fits me better."   You've already recognized that bike as your friend when you rode it; get the bike you love.

Honda doesn't make junk either.  It won't vibrate at high speeds.   You can come over to this forum and share some stories as well.  It's a kind, friendly group.

• Like 4

100% I would go with the MT07. I've never ridden the CB500f, but I have ridden a CBR500, and have owned a Ninja 500, both fell very short on power, so just in the terms of power, the MT07 is ahead. The CB500 is rated roughly at 47 hp, while the MT07 is rated around 74. I came from riding an R6 as my last bike and the MT07 is no slouch, I dont even notice im not on a super sport anymore. The MT07 will do a bit better running lower RPMS on the interstate and highways as well as having more pulling power to pass.

The CB500f seat height is 30 inches where as the MT07 is 31.7, so there is a bit of difference there. Im 5'6, 120 lbs with a 29 inch inseam and I have no problem getting 3/4 of both my feet flat on the ground. I've never had a problem with the height, but it's what is comfortable to you, if the Honda feels like a better sit and fit for you then that's something to keep in mind. Another thing to consider is the weight, the MT07 wet is 397lbs, while the CB500f is 420 lbs wet.

The CB500f even though it does come in ABS, only has a single rotor/caliper brake set up in the front, where the MT07 has two. Which are actually just older series R1 calipers with weaker pads, theyre just straight decent. The MT07 also sports a wider tire from factory. The bike handles like a dream and is very nimble and holds up well in corners.

Also, the sound the of the engine is a godsend, the CP2 just sounds like a dream. I'm a Yamaha fanboy though so of course im gonna talk it up. Since owning Yamaha's Ive never been more happy with overall build quality and engineering. Honda is top notch and very quality as well though. I cant talk smack, they deliver.

At the end of the day it all boils down to what you like and what you feel more comfortable on, its all about personal preference. When it comes down to it theyre both very nice bikes made by very reliable manufacturers. Get what your heart tells you.

Edited by iSmkGrnBud
  • Like 2

FZ07R WaNaB
6 minutes ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

The CB500f seat height is 30 inches where as the MT07 is 31.7, so there is a bit of difference there. The MT07 wet is 397lbs, while the CB500f is 420 lbs wet another thing to consider.

The numbers aren't actually that bad as the seat height is 30.9 Honda/31.7 Yam and the wet weight is 403 Yam/415 Honda. Seat height favors Honda and the weight favors Yamaha.

The other numbers that favor Yamaha are the wheelbase (shorter) and suspension travel (longer), as well as the obvious ones of horsepower/torque. ABS is stock on the Yamaha where as it's $300 more on the Honda. Dual discs on the front is a good thing as previously mentioned.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/mt-07

https://powersports.honda.com/street/sport/cb500f

Some of us actually really like the seat on the FZ, and the MT's seat is supposedly only better. With your light weight, you will not likely have to mess with the suspension on either bike for some time. As has been previously mentioned, the greatness of the FZ/MT is the motor. Granted to really enjoy that motor you really need to get the ECU flashed which is another $300, and worth every cent of it. The FZ/MT's motor is readily adaptable to touring, road racing, light adventure riding, and all-around hooliganism! Plus, you are never going to run out of power. It's light and it's very flickable, and just a poop load of fun to ride!

I've had a lot of bikes, and this is by far my favorite street bike so far. I'm 62 years old, and have owned my FZ for 4 years. I have had several 500+ mile ride days on my FZ, and can comfortably say, that I wouldn't hesitate to go cross country on my FZ which is a heck of a testament to the bike considering there are also a lot of folks on this forum that road race them.

Lastly, at this point, there is a boatload of aftermarket for the FZ/MT which in combination with the info on this forum make for a wonderful way to spend a lot of money 💰

Your best bet would be to find a used FZ/MT on Craigslist and get a test ride, or better yet, get a dealer to let you test ride one. Obviously you could do the same with the Honda, but likely you will be sold after a ride of the Yamaha. Good luck!

• Like 1

As fa as the engines are concerned, I have the MT's and Honda's 500.  I have a Rebel 500. Comparing the two is a matter of 'night and day'.  The 'go' you get from initially opening the MT throttle will bring a smile to your face guaranteed. And the oomph continues to excite. It is real fun to ride.  It was designed to be so. When I rode mine before buying I asked how long I had got to test it. Half an hour , he said. I was back in 10 minutes to buy it. There is nothing to match this bike for the combination of fun, quality, reliability, lightness, flickability, economy, excitement, price. Yamaha hit the nail smack on the head with this one, IMHO. It is not perfect but...

The 500 engine, in my bike at least, is well down on performance in comparison. Not only that but mine vibrates approaching 65mph.  I have thought that it is a balancer shaft short. But not everyone finds this vibration. My dealer's mechanic regards it as a vibey engine. I am happy with it because my kind of riding mostly avoids such speeds, and it is streets ahead in mechanial terms of the bike it replaced (Kymco cruiser). It is still fun to ride.

That said, I am sure you would have fun on either bike. The MT is a better bike for the longer term, IMHO. I should add that this is an old geezer's view.

There is no substitue for trial rides. See if you can arrange those to help your choice. Good luck.

• Like 2

Just do it! 

I've never ridden one but from my experience with bikes I've never fallen in love with any bike for it's features but I have fallen in love with each bike for what it could do performance wise and how it made me feel and I guarantee you the quickness, monstrous torque and light weight of the MT-07 will deliver more smiles, hands down, end of story. If your intentions are to just putt around and go through the gears slow and easy then I'd have to say the Honda would deliver that nicely but that's not saying much. As you mentioned about getting used to the size, you'll get used to any minor differences in time. GL with your decision.

I should also mention, for the record, that you may spend more in aftermarket goodies with the Yamaha like a new headlight, suspension, mirrors, just to name a few. These are things that most have modded but it's not to say that you have to, maybe you can live with the bike how it is. I didn't touch the suspension on mine for 4 years and when I did do something it was minor and inexpensive and I was very pleased with it. (I don't track)

• Like 2

Beemer

Hi again. Thanks for all of the helpful and enthusiastic replies! Seat height on the Yamaha is not a problem for me. I can't get both of my feet totally flat, but I don't feel like flat-footing is necessary for me to be comfortable. The bigger issue is that I felt like I was reaching for the handlebars a little too much. I have wider shoulders which means I have shorter arms (and legs) than most people my height. Is it possible to get risers that pull back the bars a bit on the Yamaha? I've done this on cruisers but am not sure if it would throw off the ergonomics too much on a standard/sport model, or if it is even possible.

24 minutes ago, todd79 said:

Hi again. Thanks for all of the helpful and enthusiastic replies! Seat height on the Yamaha is not a problem for me. I can't get both of my feet totally flat, but I don't feel like flat-footing is necessary for me to be comfortable. The bigger issue is that I felt like I was reaching for the handlebars a little too much. I have wider shoulders which means I have shorter arms (and legs) than most people my height. Is it possible to get risers that pull back the bars a bit on the Yamaha? I've done this on cruisers but am not sure if it would throw off the ergonomics too much on a standard/sport model, or if it is even possible.

Your best bet would probably just get different bars, A LOT of people here on the forums do this. The different rise height and bends will help with your issue. As for which bars to get I cant say anything from experience, so far I feel comfortable on the stock bars and will keep them. Theres tons of handlebar info here on the forums, just search through some post and content, youll find a lot of useful info.

• Like 1

Great advice re: getting new bars. With the stock bars, it felt like my center of gravity was a little higher and too far forward, and that I was sitting too close to the front of the seat. I would imagine that this would make me feel less in control of the bike. Sitting an inch or so further back with different handlebars could improve this substantially.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robbo10 said:

As fa as the engines are concerned, I have the MT's and Honda's 500.  I have a Rebel 500. Comparing the two is a matter of 'night and day'.  The 'go' you get from initially opening the MT throttle will bring a smile to your face guaranteed. And the oomph continues to excite. It is real fun to ride.  It was designed to be so. When I rode mine before buying I asked how long I had got to test it. Half an hour , he said. I was back in 10 minutes to buy it. There is nothing to match this bike for the combination of fun, quality, reliability, lightness, flickability, economy, excitement, price. Yamaha hit the nail smack on the head with this one, IMHO. It is not perfect but...

The 500 engine, in my bike at least, is well down on performance in comparison. Not only that but mine vibrates approaching 65mph.  I have thought that it is a balancer shaft short. But not everyone finds this vibration. My dealer's mechanic regards it as a vibey engine. I am happy with it because my kind of riding mostly avoids such speeds, and it is streets ahead in mechanial terms of the bike it replaced (Kymco cruiser). It is still fun to ride.

That said, I am sure you would have fun on either bike. The MT is a better bike for the longer term, IMHO. I should add that this is an old geezer's view.

There is no substitue for trial rides. See if you can arrange those to help your choice. Good luck.

I too have both the Rebel 500 and MT-07 and you spot on about it. I just learned to ride April 2019 on the Rebel then my wife picked me up a MT-07 that I was eyeing for this summer last January. I have put on 1400 miles on her so far and it has been a blast. I just got done riding the Rebel yesterday since it was stored for the winter and it felt like a toy in size and defiantly power. Mine is also vibey at 65+ MPH and my fingers went numb. Doesn't happen on my MT-07. So my wife wants to learn to ride on the Rebel this summer. If it wasn't for that I would sell the Rebel.

• Like 2

Brother had a CB500X, lasted about a year, came off of a Buell Ulysses.  He changed to the 500 from the Ulysses due to shear seat height when riding 2 up, he really liked the power of the Ulysses, never quite liked the power of the 500.  He's not about speed, just likes having the power at hand.  Now he has an FJ-09.  The 500 just didn't have the kind of power he wanted and the suspension wasn't that great either.   Just didn't fit his personality.  I wonder how he will like it when he gets to ride my 700.  I think he may be surprised.

I went to an XSR700 off of dual sport 650 and 250, still have both, and a ZR550 Zephyr, previously had a Nighthawk S (86 red/white/blue and loved it).  I did it because I like the bare bones kind of look and I just can't do any sort of sport bike due to the tightness of the peg to seat nor can I do the reach to the bars.  I have old knees and short arm reach.   I'm also looking at more of a street tracker look too.  The engine is just plain a rush.  Handling will be adequate for me as well.  It will do better than I can make it go.  

I actually bought the bike without a ride, but had enough research to buy into the 700 without reservation.  The one that really put it over the top was the Motorcyclist commute review Zack Courts did in a video.  You will not be disappointed by the power.  I'm around 200 lb and really wouldn't need more.   I will say my brother made the suggestion of the 900, but I just don't need that much power.

The Yamaha 700 series are all getting excellent reviews and justifiably so.  A lot of motor in about any style of bike you want.   Depending on where you live, the Tracer might be a great choice, but if you are in the U.S. not here yet.   The FZ, MT, XSR, and Tenere are great from everything I've read and the XSR is perfect for me riding solo all the time.  Probably would be great two up, but my wife doesn't really care to ride and I don't think she'd approve of my taking any other females along...  

With tubular bars you have options for around $90 to suit your preference after you ride for a while.  I got away with just rotating the stock XSR bars back a bit.  Fact is you probably could trade bars with some XSR rider since some want to go to lower bars.  I have a preference for a more flat trackish wider bar myself.  

If you have no concern with the lesser power delivery the Honda would be a great choice.  I sold Hondas for years and their fit and finish is usually at the top of the industry for the dollars spent.  I'd have a Honda except they don't build what I wanted.  No one did for about 20+ years... until I started looking into the XSR and that was it for me.   I even went to the older 2018 model last fall, because of the color and that I know I won't be losing anything on resale since I don't see me selling it any time soon.   

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

Get a used FZ07, Could probably find something under 10k miles, with an ECU flash, EXHAUST, and probably a few other add ons, for a few grand lower than a new one.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, todd79 said:

Great advice re: getting new bars. With the stock bars, it felt like my center of gravity was a little higher and too far forward, and that I was sitting too close to the front of the seat. I would imagine that this would make me feel less in control of the bike. Sitting an inch or so further back with different handlebars could improve this substantially.

Woodcraft 1' riser in the down position works for me. I have the 1.5' risers that I'll install soon, way better feeling IMO. Heres a link:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
4 hours ago, fzar said:

Woodcraft 1' riser in the down position works for me. I have the 1.5' risers that I'll install soon, way better feeling IMO. Heres a link:

Wouldn't the woodcraft bars be lower, and more forward than OEM??? I thought @todd79 said he wanted them higher, and back further? Maybe I misunderstood... If @todd79 want's go go higher, and back, there are many cheap options on Ebay. I just did a search, and had too many hits to try to post links to. This seems like a pretty easy solution, if this is what you are looking to do. Good luck-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

As above, it's easy to fit a 1.5" bar riser that brings them up and back, they're cheap and easily available on eBay.

To deal with bar position I have always used up-and-back risers. I found the MT bars ok, though. They are  easy to fit. You can move them from bike to bike too.

It is worth emphasising, I think, that the MT does not need any mods.  Sure, you can do it with benefits, but I found mine just fine as is. Just a mod of seat (2014), crash protection and I was good to go. I fitted grip puppies too but only because I had to buy some for the Rebel. It is hard to believe that I have had the bike for 5 years, and without the slightest thought of changing it. The latest version is a better bike though (seat, suspension).

• Like 1

Just do it! 

FZ07R WaNaB
55 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

It is worth emphasising, I think, that the MT does not need any mods.

This got me thinking which mods do I really think my FZ absolutely needs. I've kept a list of all the stuff I did, and upon review the absolutes came down to this:

2WDW Flash (fun and my safety)

R6 throttle tube (fun)

Evotech radiator guard (bike's safety)

Mirror extenders (my safety)

Blindspot mirrors (my safety)

Osram Night Racer light bulb (my safety)

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn (my safety)

This all can be done for less than $500 with the flash being the biggest part. I did about another $1000 worth of mods which is small in comparison to other people on this forum. Here's the other stuff, all of which make sense IMHO, but aren't absolutely needed:

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Michelin PR4 tires

EBC HH front brake pads

Spiegler SS front brake lines

Vortex 520 sprockets 16/44

DID EVR3 chain

MWR air filter

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

The sad part is that I'm now at the place where there aren't any mods left that I want to do. I am a constant tweaker (in a non-meth way 😁), so of course this means time for another bike. 

• Like 1

I bought risers in the past off of amazon for $21.99 (the link doesn't work now, discontinued I think) but like with other people, I had trouble putting them on because the cables weren't long enough but there is a solution. You cut the ties wraps that are bundling all the cables to your handle bars together and pull all the slack out, then mount the risers and then bundle the cables back together with tie wraps.  

I just found these, they should work fine, they're very similar to mine.

https://www.amazon.com/MASO-Motorbike-Handlebar-Universal-Aluminium/dp/B07GXMLLHZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3O188YCVIEEMB&dchild=1&keywords=7%2F8+handlebar+risers&qid=1587387942&sprefix=7%2F8+handle+bar+riser%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-10

Beemer

Oh, yes. I forgot. I have the Evotech radiator guard and mirror extenders (they are essential) too. The remaining "absolutes", above, cannot be found on my bike.  And I would not want the originator of this post to run away with the idea that this bike is no good without all those mods. It would be better.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

On the subject of bike height:  Once upon a time I was on a state hwy going through town while following a bullet bike through the stop lights.  The guy had nice gear on; helmet, pads, the works, and seemed rather proficient on his bike.  Well, it just so happened that he would hop off his motorcycle at every red light, then very efficiently step on to the left peg with his left foot and get it moving again, then swing his right leg over the seat and continue on.  It was very impressive.  He was a dwarf.  My hat was off to him. 

I see women riders occasionally simply slide part way off the seat to sit flat footed on one side at the red lights.  It doesn't seem to bother them a bit.  

12 hours ago, rfmueller said:

On the subject of bike height:  Once upon a time I was on a state hwy going through town while following a bullet bike through the stop lights.  The guy had nice gear on; helmet, pads, the works, and seemed rather proficient on his bike.  Well, it just so happened that he would hop off his motorcycle at every red light, then very efficiently step on to the left peg with his left foot and get it moving again, then swing his right leg over the seat and continue on.  It was very impressive.  He was a dwarf.  My hat was off to him. 

I see women riders occasionally simply slide part way off the seat to sit flat footed on one side at the red lights.  It doesn't seem to bother them a bit.  

That's what I learned to do when ever I come to lights, I slide to one side, hold the bike up with one leg flat footed and when the light changes you just push up a bit and go, it's easy. As far as trying to push a bike backwards while on the seat, that's a different matter and if I can't do it while on the seat because of gravel, an incline, etc, I will hop off and push it backwards. It's just what all bikers have to do at times.

• Like 2

Beemer

Altho my legs are long enough to touch easily, on a stock bike especially, arthritis and a life of bad choices make getting on and off rather difficult. I've learned to hold the front brake and lean the bike into me at an exaggerated angle to allow me to swing my right leg over the tail. Point being there's nothing wrong with a little acrobatics for whatever reason during the ride. 😊

Confession. I've been in denial, not wanting to face my mortality. When by myself at the track I push my racebike off the rear stand and get on by the above method. When the missus is around I use a step stool and she drops me off the rear stand and sends me on my way like a child on a trike. When I return to the pits I pull up to my stool and dismount before anyone sees. Sad, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have used the left footpeg with the stand down to get on and off, leaning  over the bike to try to relieve weight on the peg. 

Just do it! 

I own both (2015 cb500f)(2018mt07) the Honda I feel has a slightly comfier seat and its lower to the ground and a little more comfortable at stops. The mt07 isn't a problem though( I'm 5 11 in height 215 lbs) The 500 engine has decent power but its kind of bland in comparison to the mt07. I vote mt 07 because its my newer bike of the two. If you don't care about the exhaust sound from the mt07 or the increase of power it has over the Honda then I say you get the Honda because you said it fits you better. Plus the Honda is a great looking bike and super reliable!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
10 hours ago, mossrider said:

Altho my legs are long enough to touch easily, on a stock bike especially, arthritis and a life of bad choices make getting on and off rather difficult. I've learned to hold the front brake and lean the bike into me at an exaggerated angle to allow me to swing my right leg over the tail. Point being there's nothing wrong with a little acrobatics for whatever reason during the ride. 😊

Confession. I've been in denial, not wanting to face my mortality. When by myself at the track I push my racebike off the rear stand and get on by the above method. When the missus is around I use a step stool and she drops me off the rear stand and sends me on my way like a child on a trike. When I return to the pits I pull up to my stool and dismount before anyone sees. Sad, lol. 

@mossrider- You sir, are an inspiration to all of us old(er) riders out there. I'll most likely be doing the same thing in a few years 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"