The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 vs. CB500F

todd79

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I feel a little obligated to chime in on the Honda/Yamaha comparison as well... I ❤️ Honda. I grew up on Honda. They still have my heart. Their quality back in the 1970's & 80's was the "gold standard" in my mind. That being said, Honda used to build bikes that "excite" a potential buyer. Those days are gone (for me). They haven't built anything that "excites" me (on any level) in well over a decade.... It reminds me of the automotive world in the USA. In the 1960's, all the car manufacturers where being "pushed" by Engineers that were chasing horsepower!!!! In the 1970's & 80's, the automotive industry was taken over by corporate "bean-counters", that thought they could build a cheaper car, and make more profit by selling more of the low-horsepower cars. I guess it worked... Honda's motorcycle division seems to have followed the same business model. They sell a HUGE amount of very reliable products. They are well engineered, and last longer than almost any comparable product in their "competitions" product line. That being said, Honda products have a tendency to "underwhelm" me.... Yamaha, has been the manufacturer's that still builds products that "excite" me as a buyer. Very few people (at least in the USA), truly NEED a motorcycle... For most of us, it's a luxury item that is mostly used for pleasure purposes. My personal opinion is that Honda doesn't really listen to buyers... They keep churning out very reliable bikes that fail to "excite" buyers. Yamaha seems to understand the concept of building products that still excite buyers. I highly doubt that Yamaha ever imagined that the FZ/MT-07 platform would ever be as versatile as this platform is? People use it for sport-touring, racing in the FZ/MT-07 "R" trim, and others just ride it as is- because it's FUN!!!! We as consumers, are lucky enough to be able to own this bike this for what is marketed as "entry-level", and make it into whatever we want it to be- YAMAHA FOR THE WIN!!!!! 😎

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I reckon we have the financial crash to thank for the MTs-07/09. They needed bikes that stood out and which would dig them out of a very big financial hole.  A completely fresh approach after a run of OK but rather stale bikes ( if I may say so). And it succeeded.

• Like 2

Just do it! 

22 hours ago, mossrider said:

Altho my legs are long enough to touch easily, on a stock bike especially, arthritis and a life of bad choices make getting on and off rather difficult. I've learned to hold the front brake and lean the bike into me at an exaggerated angle to allow me to swing my right leg over the tail. Point being there's nothing wrong with a little acrobatics for whatever reason during the ride. 😊

Confession. I've been in denial, not wanting to face my mortality. When by myself at the track I push my racebike off the rear stand and get on by the above method. When the missus is around I use a step stool and she drops me off the rear stand and sends me on my way like a child on a trike. When I return to the pits I pull up to my stool and dismount before anyone sees. Sad, lol. 

I should use a stool, my doctor says they're OK! 🤪

Beemer

I went to a dealership near me today to look again at the MT-07 and possibly buy it. Fit was better than I remembered. I would have pulled the trigger, but I noticed that the bike being sold as "new" had some mud on it and also had tires showing slight signs of wear. My guess is it was test driven too many times. Some might not care, but this is not what I want with a brand new vehicle. Maybe I'm being too fussy. I'll try a different dealership tomorrow.

Edited by todd79
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
3 hours ago, todd79 said:

I went to a dealership near me today to look again at the MT-07 and possibly buy it. Fit was better than I remembered. I would have pulled the trigger, but I noticed that the bike being sold as "new" had some mud on it and also had tires showing slight signs of wear. My guess is it was test driven too many times. Some might not care, but this is not what I want with a brand new vehicle. Maybe I'm being too fussy. I'll try a different dealership tomorrow.

NO!!!! You are not being "fussy"- You are paying for NEW, don't accept anything less... Good for you for noticing the little details that made you want to do better 😎. The only time I go to a "dealership" is to buy a NEW bike. Other than that, they have ZERO to offer me. This is exactly why dealerships get a bad wrap... Makes me sad-

• 3 weeks later...
Grant31781

Honda and Yamaha make top notch products. I have a 19 Honda CRF450L and a 18 MT07. Both are well made bikes.

I am  5 foot 8 and 150 pounds with a 30 inch inseam.  A set of risers to bring the bars back a little would be nice however its not terrible as is.  The power is great. It is the right balance of power for the street.   The bike easily power wheelies and will break the speed limit in a hurry.  It cruises 75 mph with little effort or vibration.  My bike is 100% stock except for a chinese aftermarket exhaust.  I like to have a lot of power on tap but do not ride that fast. On the 65mph 4 lane I will run 75. On the 2 lane roads 55 to 60, More time to react to deer and other hazards. I do like to do quick 100 mph pulls from time to time. 

I have made a 80 mile trip, 160 round trip on the bike and it was not bad at all. I  have put 3500 miles on it so far.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 7:40 PM, todd79 said:

Hi. I'm trying to decide between buying a 2019 MT-07 or 2019 Honda CB500F ABS, and I'm struggling a bit with the decision. I'm not new to motorcycling, but I haven't been on a sportbike or standard in almost twenty years. Recently I owned a Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic cruiser, a beautiful bike but too heavy and especially too hot on summer days for me to fully enjoy it, and more powerful than I needed. I'm on the shorter side, around 5'6" or 5'7" with a 29" inseam and weighing ~160lbs, and it is important for me to get a bike that really fits my frame.

I sat on both bikes, and it felt like the CB500F fit me better, while I was reaching and leaning a bit more on the MT-07. Both bikes are, amazingly, available new around me for the same price, due to big discounts on leftover MT-07s at a local dealership. Even though the Honda fits me better, I just keep thinking the MT-07 is a better bike, and I'll get used to the size in the longer run. Besides that, I'm concerned that maybe the CB500F won't have enough power. I don't like riding on interstates and try to avoid it, but I live in a rural area where 65 mph (~105kph) is pretty much the norm on rural roads. Perhaps the Honda will vibrate too much at this speed, but I don't want to get a bike (like my old Kawi Vulcan) where the size is never quite right for me.

Based on your experience, which bike would you recommend?  What else should I consider in my decision? I appreciate any helpful advice that those experienced with these bikes can offer.

Hi todd79,

I'm also a short guy 5'5" 140 lbs. 29" inseam. The reasons that I purchased the CB500F 2019 were because it fits me better than the MT 07 for my size, I was a new rider that came from a Grom 125cc, the CB500F clutch is super soft and easy to operate compared to the MT 07's clutch, less chances that I may drop the CB500F on a stop.

But I understood that these two bikes are very different in power the CB500F is only 47 hp while the MT 07 is 74 hp which is a big difference.

Now check this out:  After about a year I got really good on ridding; so obviously I noticed the  CB500F limitations for its power.  So, I was shopping again for a new bike that could take street & fwy ridding fast and easy but the price for the MT 07  at the time was about $7,300 then at I saw the Suzuki GSXS 1000 for 7K, I test rode it and I loved the power but I feel is too much bike for me since I'm a short guy. At that time I though it was a good deal to get a Suzuki GSXS 1000 with 145 hp vs. a MT 07 with 74 hp. 

I keep thinking that for street and fwy riding combined the MT 07 would fit me better, the GSXS 1000 is more for Fwy riding only.  It gets really quick to 120 mph and it is very easy to take over cars in the fwy but in the streets I have trouble in stops, I'm constantly afraid that I may drop it, since it weights almost 470 lbs. seat height 31.9" vs. the MT 07 that weights about 400 lbs.  seat height 31.7".

Now I have been told that for short guys like me I should look into the Kawasaki Z650 or the Suzuki SV650 which both have the same seat height of my Honda CB500F but with more power.

What did you end up getting after all?  Thanks.

Edited by John2018
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was looking for my first bike 2 years ago, I came very close to buying a CB500F.  I was considering it because it stretched my budget less than the FZ-07, was more readily available with ABS (was buying used) and was a little more beginner friendly.  I'm really glad I didn't, and went with the FZ-07.  At the end of the day the CB500F is heavy and the engine is really wimpy.  In terms of smiles per mile I'd even take an MT-03 or Z400 over the CB500F.  Both those bikes make comparable power and are significantly lighter.

Personally, I don't really understand the CB500F these days, given its competition.   I agree with what @cornerslider mentioned, Honda bikes have remained reliable but they are mostly boring.  They seem designed for other markets were bikes are appliances.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jeremy11226

Hi Todd, I think you'll love the MT. It has plenty of power but it builds in a very predictable way. I outfitted mine for commuting and light touring--Yamaha factory top case, Yamaha comfort seat, and frame sliders. I highly recommend the Yamaha parts. My bike is stored outdoors and they have held up fine. I'm a seat whiner, and the Yamaha comfort seat makes this a bike I can do 8 hour days on.

It's been dead reliable, too. Handles well enough for this rider of average skill with no racing pretensions. I even like the sound of the stock exhaust!

I know I should get bar risers to make the fit perfect for me (I'm big and tall), but haven't gotten around to it. I have no complaints--best bike I ever owned. Just about as easy to ride as the Honda but way more fun with the extra power.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, clinical said:

When I was looking for my first bike 2 years ago, I came very close to buying a CB500F.  I was considering it because it stretched my budget less than the FZ-07, was more readily available with ABS (was buying used) and was a little more beginner friendly.  I'm really glad I didn't, and went with the FZ-07.  At the end of the day the CB500F is heavy and the engine is really wimpy.  In terms of smiles per mile I'd even take an MT-03 or Z400 over the CB500F.  Both those bikes make comparable power and are significantly lighter.

Personally, I don't really understand the CB500F these days, given its competition.   I agree with what @cornerslider mentioned, Honda bikes have remained reliable but they are mostly boring.  They seem designed for other markets were bikes are appliances.  

Well, the CB500F is for short and new riders on the 5'4" ~ 5'5" and 140 lbs.  29" inseam range. The CB500F seat height is only 30.9" and weights 420 lbs.  The MT 07 seat height is 31.7" almost an inch taller about 400 lbs.

The MT 07 is for tall riders on the 6' foot range since their feet are flat in the floor.  If you are a new rider and you are short you can drop easily this MT 07 bike specially if you are going in the middle of the cars in the street  in a red light.  You need to master first the CB500F to jump into the MT 07.  I did, now I have the Suzuki GSXS1000 for Fwy ridding.

I paid $6,500 for my new CB500F 2019, the MT 07 was about $7,599 plus dealer fees, License & Tax.

Also there is not comparison since the CB500F is 471cc and the MT 07 is 689cc, two different worlds. 

The MT 07 compares more like to the Kawasaki Z650 & the Suzuki SV650.

Edited by John2018

I'm 5 "10 160 lbs and my feet are always flat on the ground. Even with my Corbin saddle its never been a problem.

Lava Red 5.jpg

Edited by scat2me
because
  • Like 1

Only the inseam measurement is relevant to seat height and ability to get feet down.  I am 31" inseam. I have àn MT-07 with an extra inch of seat padding. I have no problem. The front of the seat is narrow which helps.

Just do it! 

49 minutes ago, scat2me said:

I'm 5 "10 160 lbs and my feet are always flat on the ground. Even with my Corbin saddle its never been a problem.

Lava Red 5.jpg

Exactly, you are a tall guy. I'm a 5'5" 140 lbs.  I'm not flat even on the CB500F which is 30.9"

You are 5" taller than me.  One must be able to walk the bike, I can't walk a bike that has a seat height of 31.7".

Even half of an inch make a big difference.   Very easy for a short guy to drop a bike if he is tippy toe. 

52 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

Only the inseam measurement is relevant to seat height and ability to get feet down.  I am 31" inseam. I have àn MT-07 with an extra inch of seat padding. I have no problem. The front of the seat is narrow which helps.

Can you walk the MT 07 in between cars? I can't walk it. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:22 AM, cornerslider said:

NO!!!! You are not being "fussy"- You are paying for NEW, don't accept anything less... Good for you for noticing the little details that made you want to do better 😎. The only time I go to a "dealership" is to buy a NEW bike. Other than that, they have ZERO to offer me. This is exactly why dealerships get a bad wrap... Makes me sad-

And now we know why dealers don't want to do test rides.   They can't afford to put out twenty models for test rides that they will sell at a significant loss at the end of the model year.  And every test ride will put miles on a bike, that, if not sold after the ride, now is considered "used".   You want to ride a new bike with no miles, but expect to be able to go out and put a bunch of miles on bikes you likely will not buy.   Yep, that's it...  been there, worked there, and saw that.

Edited by klx678

• Premium Member
cornerslider
45 minutes ago, klx678 said:

And now we know why dealers don't want to do test rides.   They can't afford to put out twenty models for test rides that they will sell at a significant loss at the end of the model year.  And every test ride will put miles on a bike, that, if not sold after the ride, now is considered "used".   You want to ride a new bike with no miles, but expect to be able to go out and put a bunch of miles on bikes you likely will not buy.   Yep, that's it...  been there, worked there, and saw that.

This is why manufactures do "Demo Days"... Most manufactures have tractor trailer loads of bikes that are just that- "Demo bikes". I've even seen Yamaha bring sport bikes a race track! Not everyone knows what they want? Ever been to "Bike week"? Manufactures are BEGGING you to ride their bikes!!! My sister works for Harley Davison "corporate", in the marketing sector. They have a marketing strategy of "Don't let anyone leave the dealership without a test ride". How else are you going to get anyone in their right mind to spend $20K+ for a bike without riding it first? Usually, they have a used bike they let you ride (as most dealers do). Unfortunately, most of the Japanese manufactures are in a race to the bottom line.... They don't have any "wiggle room" for a guy/gal to try a bike at the local dealership before dropping several thousand dollars on a new bike. Then, when a buyer buys a bike that isn't a good fit, they give pennies on the dollar for a trade-in on the "right" bike for said customer. How is the motorcycle industry going to ever get new riders? Make the buying experience FUN, hell you might even sell more bikes that way.... Just a thought from a guy that spent $18K on a bike I "thought" I'd like  (once) 🙄-

• Like 1

@scat2me:  I have to say that bike is absolutely beautiful!  I'm so dang impressed.  I have a red 2017 FZ-07 and love the blacked-out red.  I've even custom painted all of my helmets with the same Yamaha red.  (pics attached), but those extra red accents on your bike take the cake.  I'm going to start out by asking where you got the red wheel lines and radiator guards.  

Another note: At stop lights, there have been a few drivers that have commented on the helmet designs.  People tend to respect a good looking "rig" in a bike, and will see you better.

Helmet4.jpg

Helmet5.jpg

@John2018 I agree that they are very different bikes and I think you make good points about the height difference between them (It's not something I thought about).  I think you made a typo on price though, they're not THAT different.  That said, this thread is comparing them and they are definitely bikes that are frequently cross-shopped by newbies; it made sense particularly for me a couple years ago because at the time, there were fewer gently used smaller nakeds, with the CB500F being one of them.  Since 500cc nakeds aren't really a thing it's really hard to find a good point of comparison for the CB500 it either get's compared to 300 & 400s or 650-700s. 

Edited by clinical

1 hour ago, clinical said:

@John2018 I agree that they are very different bikes and I think you make good points about the height difference between them (It's not something I thought about).  I think you made a typo on price though, they're not THAT different.  That said, this thread is comparing them and they are definitely bikes that are frequently cross-shopped by newbies; it made sense particularly for me a couple years ago because at the time, there were fewer gently used smaller nakeds, with the CB500F being one of them.  Since 500cc nakeds aren't really a thing it's really hard to find a good point of comparison for the CB500 it either get's compared to 300 & 400s or 650-700s. 

Thanks, I corrected the price on my post for the MT 07 2019.  It was $7,599 plus dealer fees, License & tax.

stickshift
9 hours ago, John2018 said:

Can you walk the MT 07 in between cars? I can't walk it. 

Use the clutch and engine to help you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stickshift said:

Use the clutch and engine to help you.

I always use engine power for that. I do have to walk the bike backwards out of the garage and turn it around on a mix of gravel and flagstones. I sit right up to the tank. I used to take the seat off for that on another bike but that is too laborious with the MT.

Just do it! 

10 hours ago, rfmueller said:

@scat2me:  I have to say that bike is absolutely beautiful!  I'm so dang impressed.  I have a red 2017 FZ-07 and love the blacked-out red.  I've even custom painted all of my helmets with the same Yamaha red.  (pics attached), but those extra red accents on your bike take the cake.  I'm going to start out by asking where you got the red wheel lines and radiator guards.  

Another note: At stop lights, there have been a few drivers that have commented on the helmet designs.  People tend to respect a good looking "rig" in a bike, and will see you better.

Helmet4.jpg

Helmet5.jpg

I got the reflective tapes for the wheels on Ebay. The radiator guards were from Speedmax. The Bike was originally  "Rapid Red". I brought it to a well known shop here in Miami and had it Painted "Lava Red'

• Like 1

My dealer once told me that all of his Yamahs in stock belonged to Yam.  I supposed that that included demos. I thought what a huge investment that was for YAM. (UK)

Just do it! 

16 hours ago, cornerslider said:

This is why manufactures do "Demo Days"... Most manufactures have tractor trailer loads of bikes that are just that- "Demo bikes". I've even seen Yamaha bring sport bikes a race track! Not everyone knows what they want? Ever been to "Bike week"? Manufactures are BEGGING you to ride their bikes!!! My sister works for Harley Davison "corporate", in the marketing sector. They have a marketing strategy of "Don't let anyone leave the dealership without a test ride". How else are you going to get anyone in their right mind to spend $20K+ for a bike without riding it first? Usually, they have a used bike they let you ride (as most dealers do). Unfortunately, most of the Japanese manufactures are in a race to the bottom line.... They don't have any "wiggle room" for a guy/gal to try a bike at the local dealership before dropping several thousand dollars on a new bike. Then, when a buyer buys a bike that isn't a good fit, they give pennies on the dollar for a trade-in on the "right" bike for said customer. How is the motorcycle industry going to ever get new riders? Make the buying experience FUN, hell you might even sell more bikes that way.... Just a thought from a guy that spent $18K on a bike I "thought" I'd like  (once) 🙄-

We would allow a test ride on almost any bike after the deal was set and only dependent on the test ride.   All we asked, besides a license, was that if they felt it wasn't right, to come directly back.  We had a roughly four mile route that would get them on a couple decent roads where there were some good corners and out of town so they could run it up a bit.   Most of the time the sale was made.

We wished the manufacturer would allow more "demo" bikes where they made it reasonable to run a bike without losing a bunch on the end sale after demo.  Honda used to do four or five.  The owner rode one of the first VF750s and I rode a Nighthawk 650 that were demos.  

If they did more of that it would be great.   Yamaha could easily do it with the 700s since they are, in general, relatively the same in performance.   Of course if they did like say a demo XSR or MT they would know if the others were close to what they wanted and a ride before sale would let them know without a bunch of miles.   I rode a Magna 500 and if a rider rode one they would have a good idea if the VF500F Interceptor would fill the bill.

That's how Harley does it for the most part.  They only had a couple engines, with the only difference being in the style of bike.