The MT-07 Forum

Looking for recommendations regarding aftermarket parts

Jake750

2016 fz07

Hey guys, new to to the forum. I'm looking for recommendations regarding an aftermarket wind shield and aftermarket integrated taillight/blinkers.

There aren't too many wind shields available, my big concern with the wind shields available is whether they offer some functionality. I mainly ride on the freeway and the wind can get pretty crazy above 75mph. The up right position on the fz07, although comfortable, doesn't make wind easier to manage. Even in a "full tuck" the wind can get pretty bad. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on  a wind shield that isn't just aesthetic? 

And about the rear fender, its gots to go. I was actually surprised by the amount fender eliminators available. There's even a pretty decent amount of aftermarket integrated taillight and blinkers. Is there a fan favorite integrated taillight? There's quite a few on amazon but the low prices make me question their quality. Anyone have any recommendations on a set up that gets rid of the ugly stock license plate mount and tail light set up? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is doing alright in these crazy times.  

topazsparrow

regarding wind screens. Don't bother.

If you need it that badly, you just bought the wrong bike. Short of the Mad Stadd, which is like bolting a plexiglass door onto the front of your bike, nothing really works well. At best you're shifting the wind up from your chest to your neck.

Naked bikes - and particularly these naked bikes have you sitting up so high that there's not much you can do.

Best not to try and make it something it's not. Pop in some earplugs, dress for the weather, and just enjoy it.

Can't really go wrong with the integrated lights on the back, they're all solid options at affordable prices. I used the TST one because it has adjusted modes that make it legal where I live (brake light turns off when the signal turns on on that half)

• Like 1

Do I need anything else to install the TST taillight? It has the option to include a load resistor or a flasher relay. Please forgive me but I don't know squat diddly about electrical. 

I used the Givi a2118 windscreen and I love it. Personally I think it looks the best and it does help on the highway. Its not night and day difference but I took it off for a few rides and instantly put it back on. You can get something bigger that will probably help more but for the size of this windshield and the looks I love it

• Global Moderator

You may need resistors or a flasher relay to stop the turn signals from fast flashing (having the stock incandescent front lights might provide enough of a load, but you will have to try it and see).  Personally I went with the relay as having resistors heating up was not what I wanted.  

Just FYI, depending on where you live an integrated tail light may be technically illegal.  In Washington state there has to be nine inches between the turn signal lights.  I suspect the chance of getting pulled over for that is negligible and I have seen many bikes with integrated signals on the road, but I wanted to make sure you at least considered that. 

I went with a National Cycle Vstream sport on my 2018, but I've heard mixed reviews about their other screens on some other bikes. Does it make a huge difference? No, but I no longer feel like a bobblehead on the highway so if anything, I'd say it smoothed out the airflow a bit. Plus I think it's one of the better looking options on the 2018+ years - you've got some options for 2016.

I also went with a New Rage Cycles fender eliminator and, while expensive for what it is, everything bolted up perfectly without any holes left under the fender and minimal wiring exposed. You essentially only see a tiny bit of wiring from the turn signals before they tuck up into the tail. Kinda pricey, but the powdercoating on the pieces in the kit was really nice, the turn signals are bright and everything just kinda went together nicely so I didn't feel too bad about spending the money.

• Like 1

I have the MRA Double Bubble. As stated earlier int his post, it really just redirects the wind to your neck. You can crouch, but it doesn't do a ton in the way of wind blocking. Since the windscreen doesn't do much for a naked bike, I would get one based on looks, rather than functionality. 

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Just FYI, depending on where you live an integrated tail light may be technically illegal.  In Washington state there has to be nine inches between the turn signal lights.  I suspect the chance of getting pulled over for that is negligible and I have seen many bikes with integrated signals on the road, but I wanted to make sure you at least considered that. 

Though not required in my state, I chose to keep the stalk turn signals along with the turn signal functionality of the replacement TST tail light.
I look at as more blinking lights the better when you're trying to be noticed is a good thing.  I used a prefabbed Y cable, also available from TST to easily run both sets of turn signals. 👍

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Bigturbomax
8 hours ago, Jake750 said:

There aren't too many wind shields available, my big concern with the wind shields available is whether they offer some functionality. I mainly ride on the freeway and the wind can get pretty crazy above 75mph. The up right position on the fz07, although comfortable, doesn't make wind easier to manage. Even in a "full tuck" the wind can get pretty bad. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on  a wind shield that isn't just aesthetic? 

I actually have 2 different screens for my bike and i use them both. 

1st-i purchased the Givi A2118 literally the week i purchased my bike in 2017. Im 5'9 and a little longer in the leg than the torso. The Givi at 70-90mph redirects wind just under my under arms in normal riding position. Its kind of in the middle of my visor when i tuck. Personal preference i find it to be one of the best looking screens available for this bike and it absolutely takes the wind off at least the lower half of my chest depending on seating position.  It is a noticable improvement for me and seems to be as good as I've had on a supersport in the past, only difference is this bike isn't forcing you into a tuck. I should mention I've had the bike a little over a buck 10 with this screen and i noticed no measurable difference in stability. This screen will still leave you wind fatigued eventually, but MUCH better that stock for me.   

2nd-i purchased a national cycle v stream screen in "sport touring" height. This screen at 70-90mph redirects near my helmet chin when seated normally. This does cause some increase in wind noise. However, in the colder months (i ride year round) the added noise is a trade i willingly make in exchange for all the warmth i keep by hiding behind it. Its not the prettiest screen but makes a decent touring shield. Only other gripe is i can FEEL the affect of the screen on the bars when I start approaching triple digits. I DO NOT recommend this screen if you like to haul the mail. I DO recommend this screen it you want some wind block and just like to cruise most of the time. 

Hope this info is helpful 

Josh2019mt07

Cant help with the windscreen as I dont have one. But as far as the tail assembly goes i definitely recommend the TST product. I bought the whole setup. Integrated smoke tail light, the fender eliminator, the flasher relay, the front turnsignals mech gtr’s i think theyre called. And the liscense plate light. Everything was super easy to install all plug and play no splicing wires or anything difficult involved. They have a real detailed video on YouTube on TST industries showing the install. I’ve had mine for a while everything is working great I have had zero problems and it looks great too

20 hours ago, DewMan said:

Though not required in my state, I chose to keep the stalk turn signals along with the turn signal functionality of the replacement TST tail light.
I look at as more blinking lights the better when you're trying to be noticed is a good thing.  I used a prefabbed Y cable, also available from TST to easily run both sets of turn signals. 👍

+1 on the blinking lights haha. I actually put a TST brake light modulator on my bike as well (kept the stock tail light though, I actually like the newer 2018 design) so my brake light flashes a few times before remaining solid. A lot of people say that the rapid flashes are annoying...but that's kind of the point, I want people to notice me when I'm slowing down. 

Install was simple, but the only downside is that the modulator is kinda bulky so it takes up trunk space that we don't really have. 

I have the "Ermax" windscreen, it's 39 cm and me @ 5' 8" the wind hit right about the top of my chest. i say hit because it's past tense, I took it off because I decided later it looked better without a screen. I t did help at highway speeds, your chest catches most of the wind so it probably reduced the overall pressure by around 50 % and that's very substantial. It's also helped to deflect a few objects that probably would've hurt like hell had they hit me in the chest. if you don't mind the looks of one and want even just a little relief I'd recommend one. They come in different colors to match the bike, also. GL.

Beemer

If you're going with the integrated tail light with LED rear turn signals. You may as well do LED turn signals in the front as well and go with TST's LED relay. The price is cheap enough to just buy it and not even mess with adding resistors and all that junk. It makes it plug in and go and never think about it again.

EDIT: plus the relay timing is adjustable so if your blinkers blink too slow you can adjust the dial on it to speed it up.

Edited by CarGuy7a