The MT-07 Forum

Kawasaki Ninja 1000/Yamaha Tracer 900

Birdman

Anybody here have experience with these bikes? I'm looking at some pretty good deals on new and used.

Please share riding experience if you can....

topazsparrow

I owned an FJ-09 for a summer. Have not owned the Ninja 1000.

THe FJ-09 is an exceptional bike for touring. It does everything really really well and is pretty fun to ride as well.

It lacks soul - which is ultimately why I stuck with the FZ-07. A bike, which by almost all regards is inferior.

I've not ridden a Ninja 1000 before, only my friends GSXR1000 which is a slightly different class of bike. I can safely say that the FJ09 had more engine character and could still competently scrape the pegs on any given day.

In absence of any experience on the Ninja 1000, I'm personally of the opinion that the Tracer not only looks better, but is more versatile as well. I will say that the Ninja looks like it's leaning more towards a sport bike category than the tracer's ADV leaning style and ergo's.

These Yamaha cross plane engines are a league above any other japanese bikes right now. At least in the character, sound, and fun categories.

• Premium Member

I have the Tracer 900 GT.  Incredible bike.  I wanted a bike I could ride two-up, but still focus on sport vs touring, and it does just that.

I rode it from Las Vegas to Sonoma, Ca in one weekend 24 hrs of riding time, throughout all the most incredible twisties on offer, and was a blast.

It can tour long distance, and give nothing up as far as sport bike prowess goes.  AND it's the sportiest most comfortable two-up bike I've ever ridden.

I love mine!

:)

- Paul

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 3:28 PM, pgeldz said:

I have the Tracer 900 GT.  Incredible bike.  I wanted a bike I could ride two-up, but still focus on sport vs touring, and it does just that.

I rode it from Las Vegas to Sonoma, Ca in one weekend 24 hrs of riding time, throughout all the most incredible twisties on offer, and was a blast.

It can tour long distance, and give nothing up as far as sport bike prowess goes.  AND it's the sportiest most comfortable two-up bike I've ever ridden.

I love mine!

- Paul

I have been debating on selling two of my cruisers for a sport touring. I was a little worried about two up riding though. You said you love your's, but any info about how the passenger feels? lol

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Laben said:

I have been debating on selling two of my cruisers for a sport touring. I was a little worried about two up riding though. You said you love your's, but any info about how the passenger feels? lol

My girl loves it!!!  Totally comfortable.  I do have the optional top case though (the small one) because you can get the back rest pad for it and it's actually a little taller than the bigger top case, because the bigger top case is wider.

I have a FJ-09 as well.  I'm going to disagree with the lack of soul.  I think the triple is killer mix of 2 and 4 cylinder attributes.  I have the Akra with a modified baffle as well as 2WDW tune and it rips.  I did some long trips on the 07 and the FJ is so much better at most things to me.  Commuting and sport touring mostly, since it's so much easier to pack my shet on. Hitting the mountains is still a blast and it's just a bit more comfortable.  I miss the lightness of the 07 the most but the FJ is one of the lightest bikes in this class.  The tracer model has gained some weight with all it's gadgets.  I don't do 2 up, so I'm no help there.

I will say I was looking pretty hard that the Ninja 1000 ABS.  It's a cool bike and I like the look of the 2017 models a bit more that FJ, but the weight was pretty undesirable and I didn't feel I needed the extra 30 hp or so.  I never got to ride one so I'm not sure that matters much.