The MT-07 Forum

Bar risers?

Grant31781

Grant31781

I am short 5 foot 8  and I feel like the bars are two far forward. About 3 inchs back seem like ti would do it.  What bar risers (type and brand) would you recommend going with? I don't want to have to change/ extend any cables or wires. I have stock bars.

rfmueller

It's very likely you'll need to replace your cables with longer cables if you go 3".  The most I've been able to extend (raise) the bars is 1 1/8"   There's some decent Chinese risers on Amazon for about $25, but I've bought the SW Motech; they're very heavy duty, and add some class, but definitely overkill.  

swmotech118_barback_offset_handlebar_ris

Provides a more upright, comfortable riding position by raising and retracting the original 1 1/8" (28mm) diameter handlebar. No need to replace your …

rox112_barback_risers_for118_bars.jpg

Rox Barback Risers are a great way to make your fat bar equipped bike more comfortable. Not only do these risers move your handlebars up by 1 1/2 inch…

• 1 year later...

How do you mount your speedometer after you install the risers?  I purchased the SW Motech Barback Offset.

17 hours ago, GoldenMT07 said:

How do you mount your speedometer after you install the risers?  I purchased the SW Motech Barback Offset.

Did you order the 1-1/8" risers? Those will not fit the stock bars, they are 7/8"

• Global Moderator

Just a note, before ordering parts take this advice from @klx678.

Just adjust the bars you have, see how far you can move them to get a feel for what you want. Then (maybe parts, or maybe no).

Adjust and ride for 15 mins, you want to see how your ergo's new posity really feels

@Loch the bars fit perfectly. The issue is that the speedo cluster mounts to the lower portion on the bar mounts so when you put the riser spacer inside the lower mount to raise the bar, the mounting bracket for the cluster doesn’t reach the original mount screw holes. 

@Pursuvant I ended up adjusting the bars forward to get a little more hight, I’m trying to get use to the new ergos. I might have to make a few tweaks, it’s a little bit of a reach but I might get used to it. 

This is what I used.         Pro Taper 7/8" To 1 1/8" Universal Handlebar Conversion Kit

Pro Taper 7/8" To 1 1/8" Universal Handlebar Conversion Kit | 10% ($4.00) Off! - RevZilla

You can get cheap 25 mm bar risers from ebay (with speedo relocation bracket). I fitted them when I was doing some longer touring rides.

I was surprised that they reduced the reach to the bars, as being slightly higher than stock meant you didn't have to lean as far forward (and down) as the stock riding position.

A 25 mm rise is about as high as you can go with the standard brake and clutch cables.

Worth a cheap shot if you're having difficulties with standard bar reach.

image.png.1e26ff380b96f73b812512e2de379e46.png

Edited by stickshift